Ya Gots It Backward

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is just my personal opinion, but minimizing the horrific tragedy of the >1000 American casualties in Iraq by comparing them to accidental traffic fatalities makes me want to vomit. By the way, this disgusting comparison originated with Rush Limbaugh on his Sept 20 program, as part of his criticism of John Kerry's speech about Iraq.

But I'll put that aside.

Trying to minimize the import of these 1000+ deaths is like saying, "So what if smoking causes 400,000 deaths every year? Cancer and heart disease are so common anyway, what's another 400,000?"

The argument is ridiculous. The point is that we lost >1000 human beings for no good reason. That we lose people in car accidents is tragic also, but completely irrelevant to the argument about the war.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was not minimizing them. I was putting them in context on the risk factors. You have a higher chance of being in a car accident than one of our troops do dying in combat. (about 80% of those 1000+ are combat/hostile losses/ the other 20% are not.) That was my only intent. I was examining risk factors, and statistics.

Each one of those lost I feel is 1 too many. Before you judge me, and decide I don't care, take a moment and read through the memorial forum here...and note who has listed the majority of the military casulties, so that they may be remembered and honored.

We should not have gotten involved in Iraq. I do not agree with the reasons we were given, and are still given. A search of this forum will indicate that disagreement.

My arguments surrounding the use of statistics have looked at risk factors, causes and probabilities. It is safer to be a US serviceman in Iraq, than in many parts of the US today. Safer != safe. And, death, regardless of the cause, is still death.

So, no, I am not minimizing their sacrifices. I am sorry if anyone feels that I am.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Were you replying to me, or Phoenix?

Anyway, you never did answer my question. What response, if any, did you expect?
Agreement, debate, discussion, disection, etc?
I am honestly curious.

Latest Discussions