Xingyiquan or Taiji teachers in Toronto (or surrounding cities) Ontario

BooBoo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

It's been a few years since I posted, I recently moved to Canada, I live in Mississauga which is a small city outside of Toronto, Ontario.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend Xingyiquan or Taijiquan teachers, ones that teach with a combat focus, that are in the area? I found a few online, but no one is teaching in person now due to covid restrictions so it's harder to figure out who is proficient/genuine and who isn't.

I was learning Xingyiquan and Taiji (mainly Wu style) for about 15 years, at one point my Santi **** training was 15 to 20 minutes per side, but recently I became sick with COVID (I'm ok now) plus being sedentary due to extreme work pressure, the result was fatigue and weakness which I'm slowly recovering from now (currently at 6 minutes of Santi per side).

I would say my combat training needs improvement. My old teacher taught us push hands, and sometimes free style push hands and sparring, but I don't feel like it was enough. I really liked what he taught us, and my rooting improved a lot. I even did a BJJ class for 3 months, on the recommendation of my Sifu who suggested that we spar with people from different styles to improve, and BJJ was a great learning experience and I found my relaxation, rooting and balance helped me out a lot in BJJ.

Or would it be better to practice Santi and forms on my own and go back to a BJJ, Judo or other combat style so I can practice sparring with people from different styles?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not that close to you but I know that Master Hai Yang lives in Montreal, Canada. I'm from another internal art (aikido/daito ryu) and I find him very interesting.

OP
BooBoo

BooBoo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ya Master Hai Yang is awesome I've seen his YouTube videos, it's too bad he lives far away.

Ian Sinclair is also about 2 hours away. I've seen his Youtube videos, he seems good, but he's also about 2 hours away from me.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sunny Tang is very well-connected in the GTA. His group should be able to connect you with a teacher.

Ji Hong is in Mississauga, and they teach Chen, so maybe you'll get applications.

Yep -- Ian's good, and a great guy, but also yeah, he's a bit far away for most of us.

John dye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

It's been a few years since I posted, I recently moved to Canada, I live in Mississauga which is a small city outside of Toronto, Ontario.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend Xingyiquan or Taijiquan teachers, ones that teach with a combat focus, that are in the area? I found a few online, but no one is teaching in person now due to covid restrictions so it's harder to figure out who is proficient/genuine and who isn't.

I was learning Xingyiquan and Taiji (mainly Wu style) for about 15 years, at one point my Santi **** training was 15 to 20 minutes per side, but recently I became sick with COVID (I'm ok now) plus being sedentary due to extreme work pressure, the result was fatigue and weakness which I'm slowly recovering from now (currently at 6 minutes of Santi per side).

I would say my combat training needs improvement. My old teacher taught us push hands, and sometimes free style push hands and sparring, but I don't feel like it was enough. I really liked what he taught us, and my rooting improved a lot. I even did a BJJ class for 3 months, on the recommendation of my Sifu who suggested that we spar with people from different styles to improve, and BJJ was a great learning experience and I found my relaxation, rooting and balance helped me out a lot in BJJ.

Or would it be better to practice Santi and forms on my own and go back to a BJJ, Judo or other combat style so I can practice sparring with people from different styles?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!
Hope you found something in a similar boat certified while recovring from covid 7 months prep 3 part test spar with shrfu but he is really too strong tired of paying too its expensive. Did combat arts were cheaper. Taught better skill but injurious curious to know how it turns out

Latest Discussions