WTF vs ITF

OP
D

Danny

Well, I was a 2nd Dan for 5 yrs. 2 months, and 2 days. (Not that I was counting or anything.) And I have to wait 3 years instead of the standard 2 for my Third Dan. So I intend to test the second I can. I'm a patient person but cripes that's a lot of years!

OP
F

fissure

Here is a little story you may like.
Approx. 10 yrs ago I meet a white belt at one of the school I was associated with.At this point I was a 1st. dan and had been for about 5 yrs.This person is 11 or 12 yrs my senior.I trained him up to 1st. dan.Fast forwrd to last week.He is now a 3rd dan and teaches some of adult classes at a mutual friends dojang.I usually am not there at the same time as him but last tuesday I was.Some questions came up from a few class members, and after explaining his answers he then asked for my opinion.At this point we worked on trapping/takedown movements against kicking tech.Knowing my experience he turned the class over to me, and assumed the roll of student. Even though he is now my senior in age and dan grade, he still shows me even more respect than do some of the gup level students. I think I will have to do something about that.......:EG:

OP
M

MartialArtist

I grew up with the military style. I think it was originally ITF but it became a branch of its own IMO. We just practice less forms, more sparring and real-time.

OP
A

artful dodger

Originally posted by white dragon

no I'm not suggesting a big free-for-all style battle (although...), just wondered if people studying ITF or WTF took that style up because of a certain reason or if it just because it was the first club you went to.

I chose ITF because here where I am in NZ there is a really good organisation and I could see opportunities to learn for longer and from a range of experienced people. Plus its big enough to hold enough things like seminars and camps. The WTF organisation over here isn't as big.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My brother in-law and nephew trained and earned their black belts in a World Taekwondo Federation affiliated dojang, so when I decided to study TKD I searched specifically for a WTF school. It's made things easier for my daughter and me who are currently TKD students. My brother in-law and nephew are always available to pass along help and training tips with poomse and sparring.

Latest Discussions