WTF vs ITF

W

white dragon

no I'm not suggesting a big free-for-all style battle (although...), just wondered if people studying ITF or WTF took that style up because of a certain reason or if it just because it was the first club you went to.

OP
W

white dragon

For me it was a case of it just happened to be the first club I came across. I'd never really done any formal martial arts training before, let alone TKD so I had no idea there even was such a thing as WTF and ITF, etc.

OP
P

Pyrael

random yes but all the schools i visited are WTF and i've only seen one ITF where i live

OP
D

Drunken Master

:D For me I just happened to go to an ITF class. Having said that from all that I have read and heard about WTF I am glad I found an ITF class.

If for whatever reason I had to leave my club I would attend another ITF class.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

I actually took up both because I know that both styles have good things to offer. I personally love kicking, and I think that they fit my personality and I'm built for it as well. You know, use the abilities God gave you. Along with that, you have to be in good shape to perform good technique in either style.... a very good bonus. Thats just about it.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It was a random choice, ITF.

When I first started TKD back in the 75, the WTF hadn't been around that long so most of the schools were ITF based.

When I got back into TKD years later, I went with ITF cause that's what I knew.

:asian:

OP
R

RCastillo

The first club that I joined did ITF forms, but were a diffferent group. I later left them, and went ITF because I like what they did, and sustantially improved my work. I now am back doing ITF work once again after a brief hiatus.

OP
W

WaterCircleHarmony

All the TKD i did before was snippets of WTF before coming to uni. but the first club i came across was an ITF club so i joined them. i'm glad i did.

BTW can you guys check out the thread entitled " a choice to be made" i would like some feedback.

OP
D

DJDragon

I'm going to join a WTF school soon. I'm attracted to this style because it is a less formal approach and the only reason why I practise martial arts is for fun, flashiness and fitness.

WTF allows me to do this. There are more fancy kicks, and I do like the sport side of it. Also I haven't seen a ITF school near me.

OP
F

fissure

Less formal, fun and flashy kicks? Man your first full contact WTF stlye tourny. is going to be a shock!
:EG:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does everyone in the WTF practice exactly the same style of TKD--same forms, same weapons (if any), same belt requirements, etc.? How about the ITF?

OP
F

fissure

I just answered this question in another TKD Thread:) The WTF has a comprehensive set of requirements for advancement.All WTF schools will practice the official forms.However there are many older forms that are practiced in some dojang - to greater or lesser degrees.WTF has only one poomse per dan level, but we also teach one (some dan grades two) older form in addition.
Also the current forms for colored belts are now the taeguek forms.Palgwe poomse used to be required.Some dojang teach both.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know this is off topic, but Fissure. Can you PM, me please? I need to talk to you privately. Don't worry. It's nothing nasty. I just need your help, and I know people from my school lerk here, so private messege is better :)

Thanks

OP
C

Colin Thomas

The organisations belonging to the ITF seem to follow a fairly similar set of requirements for advancement.

Certainly as regards techniques and patterns which are detailed in General Choi's encyclopaedia. The coloured belts all have to learn one new pattern - as well as knowing all previous tuls (I believe that the early ones are based on the Pinan forms found in karate). The first 3 dans each add 2 patterns and higher dans 2 or 3 (I can't remember the exact details - I'm still only 5th kup :) ).

However there is some variation allowed e.g. some organisations won't begin breaking until black belt whereas others begin at green belt (6th kup).

OP
D

Danny

1 for color belts

3 1st-4th Dan

2 5th Dan

1 6th Dan

OP
C

Colin Thomas

Danny

I stand corrected. What are the grading requirements for 7th dan and above?

Colin

OP
D

Danny

Less formal, fun and flashy kicks? Man your first full contact WTF stlye tourny. is going to be a shock!

Shocked how much you guys look like chickens when you fight. :D

*Disclaimer for the humour impaired: The preceding comment was a joke.*

OP
D

Danny

25 years or so in art, but not a lot at the actual test itself.

I was lucky enoght to be present for the senior Black Belt grading at the Generals last seminar in Denver last April. 6th Dan's going for their Masters under Grand Master Shrieff had to do a few patterns, a few kicks, and a little knowledge. Probably all of a 15 min. test.

I was actually kind of disapointed. My instructor isn't going to have the rank to test me for my 3rd Dan. Actually the only test under him I will probably ever do was my 2nd Dan testing. I'm of the belief that there is no better feeling in the world then putting on your new Black Belt after a long, hard test that pushes you to your physical and mental limits. Which sadly I don't think my other Dan tests are going to do. :(

OP
F

fissure

Don't worry Danny.I've been a 2nd Dan for 8yrs!

Latest Discussions