Wtf/ata

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I use to train under WTF Olympic Style, now i am under ATA, is there a real dif? Like the sparring, now ill be point sparring insted of olympic sparring, which is really better? like olympic style sparring makes you get more stamina to go 4 minutes, so in point sparring ill have less stamina.
Lol im just confused because i've always been told that WTF is better than ATA.

Laborn

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
Alright but not to be down on the ATA but I have heard and participated, in one class, and as far as regular class goes, it is way different...we work out more at my school and break a sweat where at the ATA class i went to, it wasn't all that strenuous...also their sparring is way different as far as how you earn points...as you can tell their sparring gear is a little less durable than most, and you get more points for jump kicks and such...at least this is how it used to be...plus, where most schools participate inner-school with one another, the ATA sticks to itself

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, you having been one of the few that practiced under both, I think your opinion would carry more weight than those of us that have practiced under only one of them. Experience is merit.

I went to a WTF school because I was a novice and it had a better reputation than the ATA did. However, given the credentials of the ATA's founder, I doubt anyone would tell you their program isn't a sound one. I never doubted it anyway, just the execution of it. But I've known some ATA BB's that were every bit as good as anyone else out there and realistically, we in the WTF aren't exactly in a position to throw any stones anyway.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Being WTF, I used to think the ATA was a sub par organization but I was wrong. It is very different than a WTF school, but no different than a tang soo do, karate or wushu program would be. I am now friends with several ATA instructors and when we sit and talk about martial arts, it is all the same. They are very knowledgeable and work hard to “do what they do”. A couple of really positive things about the ATA are that they are organized, offer a myriad of programs for students of all levels and are evolving. I am sure they have negative aspects but you should see for yourself. If someone is happy in any training program then so be it, if they are unhappy; time to leave.

ron

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agre with MSUTKD if your happy than that is what is important, every org. has good parts and bad part the difference is whether you can live with both aspects.
Terry

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Well I use to train under WTF Olympic Style, now i am under ATA, is there a real dif? Like the sparring, now ill be point sparring insted of olympic sparring, which is really better? like olympic style sparring makes you get more stamina to go 4 minutes, so in point sparring ill have less stamina.
Lol im just confused because i've always been told that WTF is better than ATA.

Laborn

Laborn,

My personal experience with the ATA was back in the mid '70s to early 80's. After becoming a 2nd Dan instructor, I went into the Army and attended college, then I began working with a Korean who was with the Jidokwan and was WTF certified. One of the main points I like to stress is that comparing the ATA or the ITF to the WTF is like comparing apples to oranges. It is a totally different concept. The ATA and ITF are independant organizations that were founded, and run autocratically by one leader. The leadership is involved in every aspect of how you run your school from advertising to color belt tests, and Black Belt and instructor certification.

On the other hand, the WTF was strictly created as a general governing body, (originally for Black Belt certification world wide as an extension of the Kukkiwon) but now more as competition regulating arm of Korean Taekwondo. There are no instructors who are "members" of the WTF like the ATA or ITF. No one walks into your Dojang saying, "I represent the WTF, and I'm going to teach you what you need to learn next."

Whatever independant school, national association, or international organization you belong to is where you get your instruction. They may be "recognized" by the WTF as an authorized Taekwondo Dojang, or association, just like the U.S. Chung Do Kwan is an organization which happens to be also recognized by the WTF since the founder, Sr. Grandmaster Ed Sell, holds a Kukkiwon 9th Dan. However, those in the Chung Do Kwan learn from Chung Do Kwan masters, not from the WTF. The WTF and Kukkiwon simply set guidelines for international standards of certifying Black Belts (not color belts) and Olympic coaches and referees.

The ATA has the option of being recognized by the WTF, or having their instructors obtain Kukkiwon certificates. However, thus far, the leadership has rejected the concept of Olympic style Sparring, and the politics that goes along with operating outside of their own "ATA family." I have always found the ATA to be a "tight-knit" family run group who prefers to operate "within," rather than outside of their organization.

As far as differences in techniques, and skills, I think that is more of an individual thing. I have known many excellent technicians, instructors, and tournament fighters when I was an insrtuctor in the ATA. If they switched to doing Olympic fighting, there would probably be a period of adjustment, and they might not do as well at first because the continuious matches are much more demanding and fast pace, in my opinion. Now that I have participated in both, personally, I do not care for the constant stopping of a match to vote on points. I like the reality and challenge of continuious sparring.

One of the biggest differences I experienced when I moved from the ATA to a Jidokwan school, was that I learned a lot more about history, culture, language and terminology. Perhaps things are different now, but years ago, most ATA instructors mispronounced the majority of the few Korean terms they used, and were thrilled to be able to count to ten in Korean. While working with the Korean instructors, I quickly learned to count to over a million, and used correctly pronounced terms for virtually every stance, block, strike, kick, and almost anything else associated with teaching. I also gained a lot more insight and experience the more that I went to Olympic National and International events with thousands of competitors held in major arenas.

The ATA is a wonderful organization, as far as I am concerned, and I respect and admire many of those who have been with them for a long time. My own personal experience, when I left the ATA over 20 years ago, was quite an eye opener. It very much expanded my knowledge, hands-on experiences, and confidence as an instructor. However, things are likely very different in the ATA today.

Best of luck to you!
CM D. J. Eisenhart