WSL VT Differences

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The only Sifus I would spend time with in Hong Kong are Wan Kam Leung and Sam Lau

The others either had no time for us, had very odd ideas about the nature of fighting, or just werent very good

Were you able to visit Cliff Au Yeung's school? Next time you are over, please do come by.

El_Nastro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do WC under some guys who learn directly from Ip Ching. I like it, but I'd love to hang out with Gary Lam/WSL guys. I've heard nothing but good stuff about WSL, and Lam's videos are awesome. I am jealous.

Chuanfa

White Belt
Reaction score
I do WC under some guys who learn directly from Ip Ching. I like it, but I'd love to hang out with Gary Lam/WSL guys. I've heard nothing but good stuff about WSL, and Lam's videos are awesome. I am jealous.

If you ever find yourself in Los Angeles, stop by, we'll love to have you. Sifu Lam is quite welcoming.

OP
bully

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I met Sifu Lam last year in London. He was freindly and had a great sense of humour.

If I ever get to LA again I will try and incorporate a bit of WC.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I met Sifu Lam last year in London. He was freindly and had a great sense of humour.

If I ever get to LA again I will try and incorporate a bit of WC.

I was very disappointed not to train at Gary lam's school in HK - when we rang up, the woman on the other end was very unfriendly and unhelpful

This is no reflection on the talent of Gary Lam though, I was just a bit put off by the unprofessionalism of the people asnwering the phone

I think m going to stick to seminars in the UK for the time being

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was very disappointed not to train at Gary lam's school in HK - when we rang up, the woman on the other end was very unfriendly and unhelpful

This is no reflection on the talent of Gary Lam though, I was just a bit put off by the unprofessionalism of the people asnwering the phone

I think m going to stick to seminars in the UK for the time being

I didn't even know Gary Lam still have a school in HK. He is mainly based in LA. Perhaps you can PM me on the details of his HK school and I can check it out to make sure that you even call the right number.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I didn't even know Gary Lam still have a school in HK. He is mainly based in LA. Perhaps you can PM me on the details of his HK school and I can check it out to make sure that you even call the right number.

Yeah I got it off a long list of wing chun schools in HK that were posted on the net. It seemed legit and I heard that some of my kung fu brothers from outside Kamon were training over there under the school. Not sure if Gary teaches there or whether its a student of his etc

Ironically, Kevn Chan is going out to HK next week to teach BJJ and wing chun

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah I got it off a long list of wing chun schools in HK that were posted on the net. It seemed legit and I heard that some of my kung fu brothers from outside Kamon were training over there under the school. Not sure if Gary teaches there or whether its a student of his etc

I wonder if there is a cultural factor to all of this? I've never been to Hong Kong, but when a friend of mine went a number of years back, he also had trouble visiting certain schools even though he called ahead and made appointments. If I remember correctly (we haven't talked in a while), he had an appointment to visit Yip Chun. He went to the location where they were practicing, and they wouldn't even open the door to talk to him. The fact that he was then associated with another well known WC organization seemed to be the problem. Perhaps that was the root of your problem too, Kamon?

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wonder if there is a cultural factor to all of this? I've never been to Hong Kong, but when a friend of mine went a number of years back, he also had trouble visiting certain schools even though he called ahead and made appointments. If I remember correctly (we haven't talked in a while), he had an appointment to visit Yip Chun. He went to the location where they were practicing, and they wouldn't even open the door to talk to him. The fact that he was then associated with another well known WC organization seemed to be the problem. Perhaps that was the root of your problem too, Kamon?

Yes, I have heard of similar things happening to foreigners coming to HK and visiting other WC places. Honestly, I don't understand the mentality of that, but then again, I am in the WSL lineage and we are open to anyone who is willing to have friendly exchanges. Our doors are always open for everyone to come and share.

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Ironically, Kevn Chan is going out to HK next week to teach BJJ and wing chun

Could you let me know where Kevn is going to teach BJJ and Wing Chun at in HK? I am in HK, so it would be nice to go take a look where he is at. Thank you.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Could you let me know where Kevn is going to teach BJJ and Wing Chun at in HK? I am in HK, so it would be nice to go take a look where he is at. Thank you.

Im not exactly sure!! know he is out there as of next week, but hasnt really mentioned where he will be teaching (just somewhere in HK)

It might be worth sending him an email through the Kamon website and asking. He is an extremely talented wing chun practitioner and will give you another perspective of more practical wing chun as well as traditional wing chun

www.kamonwingchun.com

Latest Discussions