Comic Book Ads for Martial Arts

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
A few seem familiar. I should have paid more attention and gotten the home study course instead of trucking it to the dojo.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oy! Talk about taking me back a few years... I remember a bunch of those... thanks ... for makin me feel old... :D

NDNgirl4ever

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a couple of "Emergency!" comic books from the 70s that have ads similar to those.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now lets be honest...did anyone here send for one of these sets, even out of curiosity?

I never did, but I am currently looking for John "Count Dante" Keenan's book ("World's Deadliest Fighting Secrets") to add to my collection just for its sheer camp value.

Any leads?

G

Gary Crawford

Thanks for posting that! That brought back some vivid memories!!

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is embarassing for two reasons:
1. I actually recognized all of those ads.
2. I must admit that I purchased two of them out of morbid curiosity ( the Count Dante and El Shaitan ones).

I also saw the Ketsugo book in a martial arts store about 10 years ago and bought it. Primarily rehashed Bruce Tegner material.

Still, those ads brought back memories of a simpler time. Thanks.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now lets be honest...did anyone here send for one of these sets, even out of curiosity?

/me raises his hand sheepishly...

I was a kid back then, and didn't know any better, and actually ended up sending cash through the mail. The stuff never came, as expected.

I never did, but I am currently looking for John "Count Dante" Keenan's book ("World's Deadliest Fighting Secrets") to add to my collection just for its sheer camp value.

Any leads?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Worlds-Deadlies...ryZ47348QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I believe that's William Aguillar himself, on eBay, selling it. I could be mistaken, though.

It's actually surprising, that Keehan would do what he did. He was a well-established black belt under Robert Trias, but one day, decided to become Count Juan Raphael Dante...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man did that make me feel old..I remember ALL of them..

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is'nt the John Natavanad(sp!)shown in the ad. A black belt of Chuck Norris' system? If I am not mistaken he was also one of the more "big name" fighters back in the 70's?

1stJohn1:9

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is'nt the John Natavanad(sp!)shown in the ad. A black belt of Chuck Norris' system? If I am not mistaken he was also one of the more "big name" fighters back in the 70's?

1stJohn1:9
Yep. That's the one. Taught out of Las Vegas at the time, if I recall correctly.

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I remeber the Ketsugo one, advertised in Boy's Life magazine. Never got it, not sure why. Cool to know ketsugo is still around, too. Takes me back!

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought Sea Monkeys from 1979 copy of Spider Man but they never showed up. I wonder what Stan Lees cut was?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I bought Sea Monkeys from 1979 copy of Spider Man but they never showed up. I wonder what Stan Lees cut was?
Couldn't have been a lot. He was darn near broke during the '80s and his (and most other) comic brand was floundering badly.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Any leads?
No leads, but I do remember them!

Latest Discussions