Would you consider BJJ the ultimate art to cross train in?

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I take MDK TKD with a definite self defense focus. Two of my friends took BJJ when they lived in Washington, one was Blue belt and I dont remember his brothers rank. We were talking and I came to that conclusion. However, I do not know how much standing self defense is in BJJ or if theres anything for certain situations, attacker with a weapon, multiple attackers, etc. So feel free to share info on that too, but mainly would you agree that it's a great art as a supplement to another art? For the most part, because its so dissimilar to standing styles, whatever styles you took wouldnt conflict. Just my opinion with limited knowledge.

Also, very important, by absolutely no means am I saying that BJJ is only useful as a supplement. I've seen the Blue belt friend of mine use it in self defense with control and I do believe its more than effective. I'm just curious as to if this opinion is common or not.

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
With my limited knowledge, sport or SD. Again, I do not know a whole lot about it. Also, I assume some schools are more self defense oriented, or sport oriented than others, just like any other style.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, i wouldnt call BJJ ultimate for self defense or sport. Necessary for sports that involve it, useful for self defense in some contexts, sure. But ultimate is a stretch. I will say though, that from what ive seen BJJ people tend to be more used to moving other people around against their will. Thats useful.

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I was referring to it as the ultimate "add-on" to a another style. Not sure if it affects your answer, but I figured other peoples opinions couldnt hurt!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
The BJJ I am with familiar could be said to be the ultimate for a one on one grappling match on a mat. Since that is not my focus or what I want to spend serious time on, it is not my ultimate art to cross train in. For others it might be and BJJ in another place or under a different instructor could be very different I suppose.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I was referring to it as the ultimate "add-on" to a another style. Not sure if it affects your answer, but I figured other peoples opinions couldnt hurt!

Na, doesnt affect my answer :)

Look at it this way. You train BJJ, now whats the 'ultimate' addon to it? Good luck with that.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is it any art really the ultimate to cross train in?
What bjj or judo or shoot wrestling does it allows you to be comfortable with the ground.
If you have never rolled with someone it is an experience.
Is it the ultimate art to cross train in my answer is no.
Does it help you understand another fighting range yes.
Does it give you an advantage against people who have no idea
What to do if caught in a submission hold then yes.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take MDK TKD with a definite self defense focus. Two of my friends took BJJ when they lived in Washington, one was Blue belt and I dont remember his brothers rank. We were talking and I came to that conclusion. However, I do not know how much standing self defense is in BJJ or if theres anything for certain situations, attacker with a weapon, multiple attackers, etc. So feel free to share info on that too, but mainly would you agree that it's a great art as a supplement to another art? For the most part, because its so dissimilar to standing styles, whatever styles you took wouldnt conflict. Just my opinion with limited knowledge.

Also, very important, by absolutely no means am I saying that BJJ is only useful as a supplement. I've seen the Blue belt friend of mine use it in self defense with control and I do believe its more than effective. I'm just curious as to if this opinion is common or not.

The end all, be all art? No. A solid art to train in, in order to get some good ground skills? Yes! A lot of arts touch on a little of everything. For example, Kenpo has defense against punches, pushes, grabs, kicks, weapons, and some take down attempts. However, if you want to expand on a specific area, then IMO, you have to go to an art that focuses on that area. Want to improve your ground defense? Judo, Sambo, BJJ. Weapons...I'd head to the FMAs.

As far as what BJJ encompasses....I'd say it'll vary from school to school. Some are very sport/tournament oriented, so while the teacher may have some knowledge of SD, that might not be the focus in the classes.

My advice would be to ask, that way you'll know what to expect.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has it's place but personally after having tried it I didn't particulary enjoy it. I just don't want to spend time rolling around on a mat with a sweaty guy day after day, call me crazy. Effective? Sure, but then most martial arts are if you do them right.

I can say that if you want to fill a club with students hang out a shingle that says Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. My BJJ buddy had ten students in his first week of practice. It's popular now. It seems like many styles BJJ is to have their moment in the sun and that's okay.

I just wonder about the starry eyed masses that walk past other lesser known arts because they aren't the "ultimate"...

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That depends so much on what your first art is. If you've trained in Judo or have a good wrestling then you might want to add karate or some form of kick boxing. If you have no ground training then I would say yes, BJJ is probably the best. That's just my opinion and $0.02 though.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think BJJ makes an excellent add-on and recommend it to everyone--at least get two years in. But 'ultimate'? I think it's more about being well-rounded, and BJJ is a good option there for strikers.

JBAtlanta

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to all this, but in my experience BJJ Is extremely useful for self defense purposes. My class does do a lot of standing self defense and does address a lot of different situations, including an attacker with a weapon and multiple attackers. At 5'1" and 110lbs I'm simply not about to engage in hand to hand combat with a stranger. But knowing I can control a larger person, which most everyone is, is extremely powerful.

As for "ultimate" wasn't UFC originally started to sort out which MA is the best? My understanding is that the Gracies dominated early matches and almost all modern fights end up in BJJ grappling. Ultimate enough?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to all this, but in my experience BJJ Is extremely useful for self defense purposes. My class does do a lot of standing self defense and does address a lot of different situations, including an attacker with a weapon and multiple attackers. At 5'1" and 110lbs I'm simply not about to engage in hand to hand combat with a stranger. But knowing I can control a larger person, which most everyone is, is extremely powerful.

As for "ultimate" wasn't UFC originally started to sort out which MA is the best? My understanding is that the Gracies dominated early matches and almost all modern fights end up in BJJ grappling. Ultimate enough?

One word: Hype.

UFC = Ultimate Fighting Championship. The best fighter will eventually get a nice belt.
Lemme compound this. The Gracies dominated because grappling was relatively new. Wrestlers and Judo people got by as well. Also, Royce Gracie was taken out by a Judoka. Just saying. Guess that means Judo is the ultimate system, right?
Obviously not. If you filter information through the context of looking for reasons its ultimate, youll find them. But i guarantee youll find more reasons it isnt. All fights where the rules have permitted it end up in grappling if it goes on long enough, but BJJ grappling? No. If BJJ grappling occurs its because theyre using BJJ rather than some other form of grappling. Thats like saying that throwing a punch makes you a boxer, even if all youve ever done is Muay Thai.

Now, go actually look at the charts. Even Wikipedia has them. The Gracies didnt dominate, they came out on top. It wasnt an easy feat, and it didnt last forever.
Some of it was even the result of luck and/or cards being changed, and substitutions.

In closing, have you controlled someone larger than yourself outside your gym? Because theres also a fun training artefact i like to refer to as sampling bias, where you do something in the gym and therefore stamp it onto an external application. While its not impossible, and while im not having a go at you, the fact you seem confident with your ability to control a larger person makes me dubious.

PS: BJJ is pretty swell.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Would I consider BJJ the ultimate art to cross train in? No. It should be your primary art. And then you should cross train in whatever else you want! :D

Latest Discussions