BJJ for the Street. Does it work?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Think about all the times you had school fights in high school. Are you telling me you've never done o-soto-gari on someone outside of training? It's my experience that tossing someone at the ground has a way of scaring the fight from most.

During a fight in an underage disco I threw a kid down a flight of stairs. He leaped straight back up ran a hundred meters and superman punched someone in the head.

Kids are spry.

Fuhrer Drumpf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It's the same technique in Judo and in BJJ. It's grappling regardless.

Well, in all my experience with martial arts I've never seen throws classified as grappling. My point is that rolling on the ground with a mugger is a bad decision and it should be avoided if possible.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, in all my experience with martial arts I've never seen throws classified as grappling.
Really? In my 36 years of martial arts training, I've never seen throws classified as anything but grappling. In fact, they make up one of the primary aspects of grappling.

Out of curiosity, just what is your experience with martial arts?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's the same technique in Judo and in BJJ. It's grappling regardless.
Yep. Can't perform Osoto-gari without a grappling move. Have to grab the opponent and that is when it is a grapple. I also think the above video isn't a very good example of osoto-gari...should be a leg reap and not off the hip. At least the way I learned it, osoto-gari is a major leg reap maybe I'm misinformed.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, in all my experience with martial arts I've never seen throws classified as grappling. My point is that rolling on the ground with a mugger is a bad decision and it should be avoided if possible.
Especially if one doesn't know how to grapple being on the ground is a bad place to be.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
If someone attacks me, I WILL hurt them in the worst way possible (unless it's at gunpoint). It's self-defense. That's what most martial arts are for, it's for injuring the attacker. Whether he/she has a weak heart, doesn't matter, because how are you supposed to know that? I doubt you'll get into trouble for it... Well, here in SA you might, but that's a subject I won't discuss here. I will still defend myself in whichever way I can, whether I get into trouble or not. NO mercy for the wicked, is what I say.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If someone attacks me, I WILL hurt them in the worst way possible (unless it's at gunpoint). It's self-defense. That's what most martial arts are for, it's for injuring the attacker. Whether he/she has a weak heart, doesn't matter, because how are you supposed to know that? I doubt you'll get into trouble for it... Well, here in SA you might, but that's a subject I won't discuss here. I will still defend myself in whichever way I can, whether I get into trouble or not. NO mercy for the wicked, is what I say.

Have you ever really crippled someone in a fight. To the point where you are wondering if you killed them?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever really crippled someone in a fight. To the point where you are wondering if you killed them?
Once I did a finger lock and the guy pretended the finger was broken. I paniqued for a moment, big trouble to come, but then reviewing what I did I was quite sure the finger was fine. And it was.

It was only a finger. I can't imagine something bigger.

People who really know how to hurt people must have self control and think 'only necessary damage' (which may be kill). Less (well) trained people can put everything they have with less risk.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

In 45 years I've never seen throws classified as anything other than grappling. They're the very definition of grappling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all my experience in martial arts, I’ve always heard them classified as grappling.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree about your attacker "deserving" a broken arm or a broken neck. It's foolish to go straight for a lethal technique when a less lethal will suffice.

You are free to disagree.

You are also free to quote my posts and provide commentary, agreement, or disagreement. But it isn't agreeable to try to assign words to me that I didn't say or intend. I never said anything about a broken neck. I never said I would want to go straight to a lethal technique when a less lethal technique would suffice. Please refrain from doing that.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You and I must be cut from different moral cloths.

Probably need to add me to that.

But it just seems strange; I will go way out of my way to avoid a fight. But I run out of options if I am attacked. I have to defend myself or suffer unknowable consequences. Personally I prefer self defense. Part of that is to ensure my opponent either doesn't want to attack me again, or is incapable of attacking me again. If I keep simply avoiding an attack, or using techniques that simply stop my opponent, he will likely continue attacking. With enough attempts, he may get lucky. Why would I want that?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I never learned throwing when I studied TKD. It may have been taught after 1st Dan, I don't know. That was the highest ranking person we had at that time.

But that was taught early on in the Hapkido I studied. I do agree that "rolling on the ground with a mugger is a bad decision and should be avoided if possible."
But I am not worried, that wasn't something I was taught in the Hapkido I studied, whether the opponent was a mugger or some other type of attacker.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably need to add me to that.

But it just seems strange; I will go way out of my way to avoid a fight. But I run out of options if I am attacked. I have to defend myself or suffer unknowable consequences. Personally I prefer self defense. Part of that is to ensure my opponent either doesn't want to attack me again, or is incapable of attacking me again. If I keep simply avoiding an attack, or using techniques that simply stop my opponent, he will likely continue attacking. With enough attempts, he may get lucky. Why would I want that?
Agreed. I'll avoid hurting him if I see a clear path to doing so. If I don't, I'll use what seems necessary to terminate the attack and make myself safe. If a simple takedown and pin seems likely to do the job, bully. If it doesn't, someone is likely to get hurt. Since I didn't choose this dangerous situation, I'd prefer any injuries incurred happen to the one who did.

Latest Discussions