Would Would Win between Ip Man and Bruce?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think ip man would win, he looked a lot better in his movie than Bruce did in any of his, !!!

D

Deleted member 34973

Martial artists fight all the time. Mma, judo, kyokushin karate, San shou....

Notice I said Real fight...those you mentioned are sport arena competition and competition is not actual reality, not real scenerios....I stand by my original statement.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Notice I said Real fight...those you mentioned are sport arena competition and competition is not actual reality, not real scenerios....I stand by my original statement.
Are you saying competition fights are imaginary, they feel very real at the time !

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
All fighting has limitation. If i fought someone in a small elevator, it would have limitations because i couldnt kick that well. Is that 'real'?
If someone put a gun to my head and said fight this dude or i shoot you, is that real? Now if that guy changes his demand, so i have to fight a guy using ufc rules, or he shoots me, is that real?

D

Deleted member 34973

Are you saying competition fights are imaginary, they feel very real at the time !
No, I am saying they are sports meant for competition.

My statement was "you rarely see a martial artist in a real fight" which the OP, I am assuming,s is talking about a real scenario. A martial artist, I believe, would try to avoid, rather than maim. I was actually complimenting martial artists. If not, and he was talking about competition, then I still think it would be a clash.

But I doubt Bruce Lee would fight in a competition arena.

D

Deleted member 34973

All fighting has limitation. If i fought someone in a small elevator, it would have limitations because i couldnt kick that well. Is that 'real'?
If someone put a gun to my head and said fight this dude or i shoot you, is that real? Now if that guy changes his demand, so i have to fight a guy using ufc rules, or he shoots me, is that real?
Well yes, of course its real, because you wouldn't have the safety of rules. But, some of the scenarios you are talking are based in reality. But, if someone held a gun to your head, well yes that would be fighting for your continued existence in this world. That fact is what makes any situation real.

In sport arts, are not you fighting for your life, you know, if you lose you die? That is what I mean by reality.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well yes, of course its real, because you wouldn't have the safety of rules. But, some of the scenarios you are talking are based in reality. But, if someone held a gun to your head, well yes that would be fighting for your continued existence in this world. That fact is what makes any situation real.

In sport arts, are not you fighting for your life, you know, if you lose you die? That is what I mean by reality.
Ah. So its not the rule limitations for you, its the fact that neither person is trying to kill each other?
So a general bar fight wouldnt necessarily be 'real', but when one of us wants to (or suspects that the other person) take the fight to that next level, thats where it changes?
Not trying to be antagonistic, so many people have different rules of a 'real' fight, its helpful to know what people mean by it.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since it is a very rare occasion to see any Martial Artist in a real fight, it is definitely a tough call. But, I would think in their prime, it would be more of a clash. Both were pretty dedicated.
I dunno about that. I guess it depends what you qualify as a martial art. I see martial artists in fights every time I watch boxing, MMA, kickboxing, juijitsu, etc etc.

Edit - just saw your notruscotsman update about fights only counting 'in the street' lol.

Which basically means it's only a real fight if the opponent is unskilled and unprepared I guess?

Last edited:
OP
DavyKOTWF

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nobody's surmised a guess to the original question...so here's mine. Bruce Lee would win. He had that killer instinct and more experience IN actually street fights. Ip Man perhaps had much compassion and kindness, which of course is a good thing and true to the Wing Chun way, so it would have gone several minutes, maybe 30, then Bruce would have won.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think your making a false generalization, ok there are some competition fights that are little more than tip tap on a body armour. We're any hit means a rest and a restart, but that's not with out use in a " real " fight, but there are plenty more were it's very real and the consequences of taking a hit are serious enough to focus the mind, you can't look at a boxing match or an mma fight were both are bloodied and ones unconscious and say it's not a real fight it's clearly is.

"Fighting for your life" is not a good emotional state to be in if your fighting for your life . The whole point of emergency response training in all fields, is you switch off your emotional response and follow your training in a relaxed and efficient manner, a fire fighter who has an adrenaline over load and has stiffened his movements and cloud ed his judgement, is not a fire fighter you want fighting for your life.

There is no better way of training for a real fight, than having a real fight in a ring or an octagon or a dojo, it's isn't exact, but no emergency response training can be, but its close enough to give you a serious advantage

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Seriously, though, I think Bruce lee wins . they punch each other a few times to little effect, fall down and roll around for a while. I think bruce had better cardio, because ip man was a smoker, and so lee comes out on top.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seriously, though, I think Bruce lee wins . they punch each other a few times to little effect, fall down and roll around for a while. I think bruce had better cardio, because ip man was a smoker, and so lee comes out on top.
Wasn't Bruce a pot smoker, ? That messes up cardio as well and he might be to stoned to bother fighting, though maybe his roid rage would over come that,

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bruce Lee was a smoker too, but of pot. Since 4 joints have roughly the same amount of carcinogens as a pack of tobacco cigarettes, I think they may cancel each other out in this case.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nobody's surmised a guess to the original question...so here's mine. Bruce Lee would win. He had that killer instinct and more experience IN actually street fights. Ip Man perhaps had much compassion and kindness, which of course is a good thing and true to the Wing Chun way...

Too much compassion? How do you know any of this? Through popular books that claim to be accurate biographies? I've known people that knew Yip Man. While always respectful, they've told me things that reveal him to have been ...a complicated person.

Seriously, Yip Man's fame in Hong Kong came from being a well known Sifu ..or coach to some good street fighters, as the sifu of Bruce Lee, and as the person who helped propel Wing Chun from being an obscure form of Chinese folk-boxing to an internationally known martial art. And that is how he will be remembered.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well you know what they say, without ip man we wouldn't have Krav Maga. But then again, Bruce Lee isn't called the father of TKD for nothing. Soooo. Tough question.