Words of Power: A Guide for Ordinary People to Calm and De-Escalate Aggressive Individuals by Ellis Amdur

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

A recent listen on Audible that I enjoyed. Ellis is an expert in the field of crisis intervention and mental health, a very long term (and highly skilled practitioner and instructor) martial artist and author of some really good books (Dueling with O'Sensei just one such). This book was written so ordinary folks could understand and retain. Highly recommend it for those interested in the subject or that teach martial arts. The website edgeworks books ( Edgework Books )has many books written for professionals on de-escalation and other topics that might be of interest to martial artists and professionals. The audible version here Amazon.com: Words of Power: A Guide for Ordinary People to Calm and De-Escalate Aggressive Individuals (Audible Audio Edition): Ellis Amdur, Dan Levy, Edgework: Crisis Intervention Resources PLLC: Books

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Lot of reviews mention martial arts. Do you think this would be helpful for non-martial artists?

OP
Brian King

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey Steve,
This book was written for the average person and does not cover self defense more than basic fence type of postures in order to evade and escape. Martial artist would benefit from reading just as the non-martial artist would. For law enforcement, HR, medical staff, etc He has written books retaining to those professions but this one is a bit more basic and geared to the common person. It covers how to better deal with the angry, the enraged, the manipulative, etc so that it does not come to violence. De-escalation, recognizing the different type of encounters, examples of encounters, breathing, demeanor etc. Highly recommend his books.

Regards
Brian King

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
De-escalation
People who talk about

- "de-escalation" don't want to talk about "protect your love one".
- "for life" don't want to talk about "young girl gets rapped".

One trains MA so he can protect his love one and family members if needed. How will you try to de-escalation when someone attacks your wife?

It's wrong that if you

- don't have a good reason to fight but you fight (such as to protect your personal honor).
- do have a good reason to fight but you don't fight (such as to protect your love one).

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
People who talk about

That's not true.
Neither is that.
One trains MA so he can protect his love one and family members if needed. How will you try to de-escalation when someone attacks your wife?
It's cute that life is so black & white for you. People train MA for a variety of reasons. You deescalate to avoid the attack. I should have thought that was pretty much obvious.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey Steve,
This book was written for the average person and does not cover self defense more than basic fence type of postures in order to evade and escape. Martial artist would benefit from reading just as the non-martial artist would. For law enforcement, HR, medical staff, etc He has written books retaining to those professions but this one is a bit more basic and geared to the common person. It covers how to better deal with the angry, the enraged, the manipulative, etc so that it does not come to violence. De-escalation, recognizing the different type of encounters, examples of encounters, breathing, demeanor etc. Highly recommend his books.

Regards
Brian King
Thanks. I’ve been teaching folks this kind of thing (sort of) for a couple decades now and am always looking for more information.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's not true.

Neither is that.

It's cute that life is so black & white for you. People train MA for a variety of reasons. You deescalate to avoid the attack. I should have thought that was pretty much obvious.
Cute? That’s kind of rude.

OP
Brian King

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People who talk about

It's wrong that if you

- don't have a good reason to fight but you fight (such as to protect your personal honor).
- do have a good reason to fight but you don't fight (such as to protect your love one).
Well KFW-
My wife is a better shot than I and is a whirling dervish with a blade or two in her hands. My de-escalation might be pulling her off of anyone stupid enough to lay hands on her. She as been well trained. That said, this book will be good info for her to read as it was for me, and I dare say for you as well. Since you haven't read this book KFW and are hence commenting from ignorance, and my brief description above thread didn't make sense to you I will try once more. The de-escalation that this book deals with is the type of action prior to 'everybody kungfu fight'n.'
KFW I would think that you would agree that everyone should gather information on learning to recognize patterns of anger vs rage vs manipulation and learn how to diffuse the situation prior to it becoming violence. Learning how to not become a victim or a participant in violence in the first place makes for more peaceful nights sleeping. Not everyone is a 70 year kungfu master and not every kungfu master knows how to teach the difference between anger (hot or cool) or rage. Now, anyone who is interested in all aspects of violence not just the end where it is physically ended can have a conversation with a crises intervention expert and pick their brain by reading this book.

While in the army I handled explosives...lots of them. It was good to have education on how to handle explosive situations, safely. For years working the door- I was, and the clubs owners were, and most of the participants were, most grateful that I was able to deal with violence prior to becoming full out bloody violence. Situations involving angry co-workers, angry people encountered in the street, angry family members can be difficult to handle. How many of your coworkers can you "sweep the leg"? Throat chopping your young nephew last Christmas go over well with the rest of your family?

KFW- you quote when it is wrong to fight or not fight- how about getting involved in violence when you might have been able to use your training and presence to keep the violence from happening in the first place?

Some people, when they walk into a room or situation calm things just with their presence. Some excite and arouse violence just by being there, some prevent it. Both can be trained and both can be understood.

For people KFW that already know all, don't buy this book, don't read it. With a full mind It would be a waste of time and resources. For those who want to find better and more efficient methods, those who seek deeper understanding, for those that teach others, for those that have loved ones who might benefit from deeper understanding, for those that have been in violent encounters and want to better understand why, for those that want to avoid the second guessing and to be able to explain and understand what and why situations progress as they do...I highly recommend this book and especially this author.

Regards
Brian King

Latest Discussions