" Woofing"

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This is a new term for me and we do not pratice any of the " Woofing " in our training.

Do many of you train for the Adrenaline Stress Conditioning....." Woofing"?

Maybe this should be use in all the martial art classes because this is how many fights begin? and many of us do not prepare for this?

Note: "Woofing" came from the book " Real Fighting " by Peyton Quinn. ....Aloha

T

ThatWasAKick

I haven't read the book. I don't know what woofing is. I'll pick up the book and read it.

Meanwhile, yes, we train for adrenaline stress conditioning. In our school we call it "reaction response" training. We begin with slow-motion fighting where the defender is in the center of a circle. Attackers come in one at a time. All defense is done is slow motion.
Near the end of this training we're suited up because it's full-on contact with one defender against multiple attackers full speed.
You can guess how long it takes to go from slo-mo to full on reaction response training. A long time.

We do other stress drills as well. Lots of army-type stuff. Indoor. Outdoor. Surprise attacks. In the dark. With and without weapons. Etc.

How can you learn to swim if you never get in the pool?

How can you learn how you will handle the stress of a RL attack if you've never been in one? You can be trained up to a point -- forced to fight past your limit while under extreme stress and fatigue.

I have a love/hate relationship with this training. <wry grin>

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Woofing", as I understand it, is using foul language, name calling, cat calls, etc. to get the student to learn to deal with the verbal abuse that often comes with a physical attack.

We use it in our women's self defense class to get them used to being called b**** or whatever. It's uncomfortable not only for the student but often for the instructor too but if being called a name takes the fighting spirit out of a woman she may not respond physically like she needs to. Students need to learn that words are just words (sticks and stones, etc.) and they should try to not let it affect them.

Emotional and verbal abuse can be just as devastating, if not more so, than physical confrontations.

Hope that helps.

Latest Discussions