Rmcat

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
New thread time

I have been to RMCAT and banging on the bullet men was great fun. It was a litle freaky jabbing at the eyes ( i Was worried I'd still hurt them since the fingers stretched the screening an inch or so.) . A good portion was having them "Woof" on you insulting your race, ethnicity, family etc. Bill Kipp was one of the of the original guys was serving as a Bulletman. We were told to "De escalate, but I couldn't resist messing with him. One of the few times I ever saw him miss a beat as a "Woofer" . It also happened to be the only time, up until then that he was ever injured as a bulletman and they took quite a beating.

Since I am not a big guy and since all that padding made them hard to get a hold of, I was unable to use standup grappling with any effectivenenss. I would have like to play with that more. My ground grappling background came thru. It was nice that the bulletmen geared their intensity level to that of the "Campers". The good size trained adult male was attacked with more intensity and sophistication than the 110lb untrained female. They would also set you up for failure if you were more experienced. They would do this by teaching you a technique they wanted you to use then attack you and have you use that technique only to counter it.

Took me a while to figure this out. Realized it when I saw them do it to someone else. Next time I went to plan B. This befuddled the Bulletman so much that the next time it came up he attacked me the same way. Plan b worked again.

What would you say was the focus of the training? Full contact? What type of scenario training did you do? Do you think the course prepares people for real self defense situations?

Peyton is a good guy. We met up with him from the old aol message boards. He sent me one of his books, no charge, and autographed it, because he knew about my martial arts book fetish. This was 15 or more years ago. Time flies.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
New thread time

What would you say was the focus of the training? Full contact? What type of scenario training did you do? Do you think the course prepares people for real self defense situations?

Most scenarios involved the Bulletman doing the "interview" or "Woofing" insutling you, your family, canine lineage, your ethnicity, how they would violate you etc. They gave you ways to de escalate, etc. A lot of that stuff is in his books. Sometimes they would come at you with a strike and you would have to respond. Sometimes it was more of a grappling attack that you would let them initiate to hold you. Some even where the Bulletman mounted you. You responded full contact. The only things that were off limits were grabbing and bending fingers and knee attacks. You did not stop the counter until the coach blew a whistle.

Standup grappling was difficult becaust the padding made them hard to get a hold of. It was like trying to grab Bob Sapp.

This tended to "Penetrate' the tunnel vision and auditory exclusion of the adrenal state.

They geared the intensity and sophistication level of the attack to the size, gender and experience of the participant. They even had some where a second Bulletman would jump in unexpectedly.

They taught / trained various responses (Some of which I thought had some basic flaws that could be easily corrected but when I asked about it they did not seem interested. ) in large exagerated motions stating that under adrenal stress motions tend to become samller and by traing large exagerated motions they would still be smaller under stress but be effective. (I hear this and i'm thinking "Patterns".)

I think it was good preparation for real SD. There is only so much you can do in a few days.

There is often a claim that your training fails in an adrenal state. I did not find this to be the case. They set me up for failure a few times (grapp;ling scenarios) which is part of the deal. Now, for me there was an issue because if I go somewhere and train I always try to do what the instructor says and work hard to make their technique effective. I figure going back to my comfort level doesn't add anything for me.

So, at first I did not realize that they had set up the trained guys for failure which is easy to do if you know exactly what technique they are going to do. Once I figured that out I would give their technique 2 earnest tries and then go to plan B.
This actualy befuddled the Bulletman who later asked me about it since he couldn't figure out why my technique didn't fail. He didn't realize I had modified it.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did the participants practice scenario type situations such as getting out of a car, outside, on uneven ground, etc.?

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was stabbed in a bathroom stall once, did they cover that?

Was never stabbed, but I did have a 38 shoved into my ear once and another time had a shotgun shoved in my face. And I'm still here....

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did the participants practice scenario type situations such as getting out of a car, outside, on uneven ground, etc.?

No, it was all in a gym type atmosphere. With about 20 participants and 2-3 days of training, and 2-3 Bulletment there is only so much you can do.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was stabbed in a bathroom stall once, did they cover that?

I only attended the empty hand course. There is a seperate 2 or so day weapon (non Gun) course, and a seperate 2 day Gun course. The Gun course is offensive and defensive. I think the other weapon course is as well.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
New thread time

Peyton is a good guy. We met up with him from the old aol message boards. He sent me one of his books, no charge, and autographed it, because he knew about my martial arts book fetish. This was 15 or more years ago. Time flies.

I realize your opinion of me isn't close to the obvious esteem you have for Peyton, but I did offer to send you copies of my books and would have been happy to sign them. You never did respond to my offer. Did you get the copies you ordered from the publisher?

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I realize your opinion of me isn't close to the obvious esteem you have for Peyton, but I did offer to send you copies of my books and would have been happy to sign them. You never did respond to my offer. Did you get the copies you ordered from the publisher?

Frankly, you don't know anything about the level of esteem that I hold you in, and I wouldn't be so quick to think that I hold you in a negative light in my mind. I think what is going on is that you hold me in low esteem, and therefore you assume that I am doing the same for you. And no, I never got the books yet, but it might be a parcel post book rate thing.