Wong Shun Leung & Tan Sau

Status
Not open for further replies.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just some context on that... there were two dudes on another forum that had similar posts, all pro-WSLPBVT, everyone else was 'wrong', etc. They also were not keen on posting video. Then the Gledhill/Obasi vid showed up. After that.....crickets chirping...

Pretty poor clip

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pretty poor clip

I searched him up and it says he started wing chun in '84 and under PB in 2004. That is quite a shocking display for someone whos trained that long in a good lineage against someone like Obasi. I guess it really does depend on the practitioner and not the art.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just saw Shawn Obasi vs Kevin Gledhill.. What a mess that was. Expected him to get sassed up by the WSL guy but he just pushed him around with his shitty body structure and the WSL guy couldnt do much.

Guy b and LFJ thoughts on that video ?

Kevin said it himself in the video. Something like "That is not our Chi-Sau". I take that to mean that chi-sau should be a training drill, not a competitive form of sparring. As much as I enjoyed seeing Kevin get pushed around, he had a point. The whole exercise with Obasi was pretty pointless. And if Kevin hadn't been such an arrogant jerk on that other forum, nobody would have cared about the video.

There's a lesson to be learned here for those who can read between the lines. ;)

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I searched him up and it says he started wing chun in '84 and under PB in 2004. That is quite a shocking display for someone whos trained that long in a good lineage against someone like Obasi. I guess it really does depend on the practitioner and not the art.

There is no magic bullet and people vary in skill

However I heard he was expecting chi sau and didn't get anything like.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
However I heard he was expecting chi sau and didn't get anything like.

True. But with all the smack-talking...you'd think he would have just unleashed the superior skill of PBVT and 'handled' Obasi. Perhaps with some of the highly trained and overly discussed "elbow" training of the PB boys? Perhaps a tan elbow punch might have put Obasi's onslaught into a different reality?

Reactions: KPM

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score

This clip might not mean much to Danny if he wasn't present for the years of G.H. and K.G. on that other forum...years of "we are right, you are wrong"... :D

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
True. But with all the smack-talking...you'd think he would have just unleashed the superior skill of PBVT and 'handled' Obasi. Perhaps with some of the highly trained and overly discussed "elbow" training of the PB boys? Perhaps a tan elbow punch might have put Obasi's onslaught into a different reality?

Personally looking at it I don't think KG ever realises that Obasi has some kind of weird ambush planned and keeps trying to chi sau all the way through.

For me, as a clip of someone supposed to be a professional combat athlete vs KG (who is not young and a seminar student of PB), it doesn't look all that impressive for Obassi

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you geezer.
Uhh, this is interesting...just what was that supposed to be?
Don't know either of these guys and don't know anything about them. From a just viewing perspective, this appears to be one person (black shorts) making an attempt to play chi sao and the other (light color pants) forcibly trying to impose his will on the other. It is not chi sao (as I know it) nor is it sparring of any type (as I know it).

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is pretty horrible on Obasi's behalf. Its like hes stuck half in chi sao and half trying to just push and shove trying to make a point that hes good. Ended up making them both look bad I suppose. I have to admit I dont like Obasi at all, I think he gives wc a bad name. But is embarrassing seeing him roll with " Sifus" and they cant seem to handle pressure from someone who doesnt do what they expect even if it is really low technical skill and just brute force pushing and shoving.. Dont want to act like hes the absolute best but im pretty sure Alan would of completely wiped the floor with Obasi in that situation. A Sifu should be able to handle that even if it wasn't what he expected. Good structure doesn't just disappear when you get pushed by someone who is just physically strong imo

Last edited:

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you geezer.
Uhh, this is interesting...just what was that supposed to be?
Don't know either of these guys and don't know anything about them. From a just viewing perspective, this appears to be one person (black shorts) making an attempt to play chi sao and the other (light color pants) forcibly trying to impose his will on the other. It is not chi sao (as I know it) nor is it sparring of any type (as I know it).

Another interpretation is that the guy in light color pants got sick and tired of the elitist comments from the guy in shorts and decided to call him out on it...? :D

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is pretty horrible on Obasi's behalf. Its like hes stuck half in chi sao and half trying to just push and shove trying to make a point that hes good. Ended up making them both look bad I suppose. I have to admit I dont like Obasi at all, I think he gives wc a bad name. But is embarrassing seeing him roll with " Sifus" and they cant seem to handle pressure from someone who doesnt do what the expect even if it is really low technical skill and just brute force pushing and shoving.. Dont want to act like hes the absolute best but im pretty sure Alan would of completely wiped the floor with Obasi in that situation. A Sifu should be able to handle that even if it wasn't what he expected. Good structure doesn't just disappear when you get pushed by someone who is just physically strong imo

IMO, if you are getting "owned" like Gledhill was in that video...he should have switched mindset and realized that Obasi wasn't there to just chi sao. He should have switched to "it's a fight" and escalated his superior PBVT to a degree necessary to shut down Obasi (if he had the skill set to do this)...which, from all his posts...he clearly did. :D

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another interpretation is that the guy in light color pants got sick and tired of the elitist comments from the guy in shorts and decided to call him out on it...? :D

Was obasi a regular poster on the KFM forum?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Will you guys cut it out already! We are not in fifth grade! On one level, your back-and-forth is so infantile, it is actually kinda funny, ...but at another level it makes us all look incredibly stupid. :oops:

---I realize that Steve. But I wanted it to be very clear where Guy is actually coming from. He and LFJ called me all kinds of things, when it is clear now that Guy is much more guilty of these things than I ever was. It took awhile to make the point. But I think the point is now made. Don't you?

And considering the hostility emerging on this forum, can anybody blame him?

---Absolutely! Yes we can blame him, because he has brought any hostility upon himself! Here is a guy that has told multiple people on multiple occasions that their Wing Chun is no good and that his Wing Chun is the best! He has told people that what they do doesn't work because it doesn't work in sparring. He has bragged about sparring regularly bare-knuckle. So I don't think it is too much to ask him to provide video showing everyone that he actually knows what he is talking about. Refusing to do that and making excuses and getting all "cute" about it says a lot about his character. Don't you think?

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO, if you are getting "owned" like Gledhill was in that video...he should have switched mindset and realized that Obasi wasn't there to just chi sao. He should have switched to "it's a fight" and escalated his superior PBVT to a degree necessary to shut down Obasi (if he had the skill set to do this)...which, from all his posts...he clearly did. :D

I think the reason KG didn't escalate was probably that Obasi wasn't causing any damage and he just assumed a complete spaz trying to chi sau. KG tries to chi sau all the way through the clip and appears puzzled at the end. If you find this to be an example of getting "owned" then I can only suggest you broaden your experience

12512892 212991712372606 408115500 n

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
it is clear now that Guy is much more guilty of these things than I ever was. It took awhile to make the point. But I think the point is now made. Don't you?

I haven't lied about anything and I am happy to have a sparring session with you or your friends. I believe this makes me not a liar and not a coward.

You on the other hand continue to be both. Stalking me like an insane person on the forum doesn't make me more likely to post videos which will help you cover up your hilariously faulty wing chun. If you want an instructional video then pay for one.

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think the reason KG didn't escalate was probably that Obasi wasn't causing any damage and he just assumed a complete spaz trying to chi sau. KG tries to chi sau all the way through the clip and appears puzzled at the end. If you find this to be an example of getting "owned" then I can only suggest you broaden your experience

12512892 212991712372606 408115500 n
I was actually about to post that video aswell for contrast. But the one I saw was a different angle ( of the same time and place ?? )

It looks like PB is semi teaching him/ being polite and Shawn is actually trying to learn and not ' win '. The only thing is this seems to be a year before the Kevin Gledhill exchange.

That video of Shawn Obasi getting rejected from mma tryouts really makes me cringe.. like most of his videos actually.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was actually about to post that video aswell for contrast. But the one I saw was a different angle ( of the same time and place ?? )

Love it. Even though it's a lesson and not free-flowing nuk-sau, it's absolutely clear that PB owns Obasi. Same thing in the video of Obasi working with Emin. In both cases Obasi didn't dare mess with these guys. On the other hand when working with Kevin G., ....Well I guess he's just not anywhere near that level. ;)

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the other hand when working with Kevin G., ....

Working with?

What I see is one guy trying to roll while another is in an imaginary fight by himself.

KG is not fighting back at all because he's not supposed to be fighting.

Personally, I would have stopped the nonsense much sooner, but KG does finally stop and tell him "this isn't our chi-sau", which shows what they were supposed to have been doing. SO was just in a fight in his own head.

This is a perfect example of the unproductive mess that is the result of trying to "chi-sau" with someone who is not on the same page.

It's supposed to be a mutual drilling format with someone of the same lineage who knows how to work their partner. "Fighting" from that position is retarded. If you want to fight, or compare lineage styles, do it in free fighting.

When you explain how you roll and why, then you can make something productive out of it, as we see between SO and PB.

For anyone who understands what chi-sau is, SO has only shown how clueless and messy he is. KG only looked bad to equally clueless people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions