Women Self Defence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends. Trying to create an emotion at the right time is like trying to hold water in your hands.

Mabye if you could choose the time and place then you can work a correct emotional state. (whatever that might be for you) But if it chooses you on a bad day, getting the job done becomes a lot more uncertain.
True enough when the emotion is undependable. For folks who reliably respond emotionally, perhaps less of a problem.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, have you ever had hysterical laughs afterwards? You know, once the "holy crap" of it all wears off, and you just start laughing and just. can't. stop.

I have laughed during. It just depends if something funny is happening.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Double post.

images

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, have you ever had hysterical laughs afterwards? You know, once the "holy crap" of it all wears off, and you just start laughing and just. can't. stop.

No usually I’m berating myself for being stupid.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have laughed during. It just depends if something funny is happening.
That’s something I’ve not had happen in an actual fight/defensive situation, but I can see it. High stress (even threat-level stress) doesn’t seem to block me from that reaction.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
it's a bit of a thought pattern interrupt
This has a bigger effect on than what most people realize. If I can interrupt my attacker's thought of "Attacking me" then I can buy some valuable time for me to do something other than being attack. If you can get the "right interruption" then it may stop the attacker all together or give you enough break in the action to escape

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, thinking of the opponent's......anything, is unnecessary. I mean, think about it, he just entered your world. What a seriously stupid f'ing thing to do.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO, thinking of the opponent's......anything, is unnecessary. I mean, think about it, he just entered your world. What a seriously stupid f'ing thing to do.
Oh yes. There are certain attacks I like to call "beyond reasonable doubt" attacks - the one where there is absolutely no question that the opponent intends to do you harm. If that happens, I am using whatever I am capable of.

OP
kravmaga1

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are certain techniques that work better for women, although they could also be used by men, just as effectively. If a guy is short and stocky, he can probably benefit from the same techniques I use regularly, and for the same reasons - disadvantages in reach and leverage in certain situations.

That said, I mentioned earlier somewhere in this discussion, I like using "gross out" and "crazy" means for discouraging my assailant, if we are at the point of engagement. Snarling, biting, going for the eyes, ears, and nose. One of my instructors used to say, "Make him think you are Hannibal Lecter's favorite niece, you just escaped from a maximum security asylum for criminally insane, had a nurse for a morning snack, and this potential assailant is lunch." I like that approach. It works for me because it introduces an element of surprise and disconnect between perceived image and behavior. I am very short, round, and look like a Victorian doll with big googly eyes. So, when someone with my appearance makes a sound like a werewolf, it's a bit of a thought pattern interrupt. Instead of considering attacking me, they suddenly start wondering whether I've had a rabies shot and whether they should get one. :)

True story - this one time in class, in an attack line, I almost toppled a guy by screaming at him. Big guy - one of my favorite people ever, really good martial artist, but, on a very primitive, basic level, a very terrifying presence for someone like me. He's the kind of person who walks through the doorway and you can't see the doorway. Anyway, he came at me with an overhead strike, so he was going forward, with his weight on the balls of his feet. We talked about "psychological warfare" just before that, so I decided to try it and screeched at him. I tried to produce a sound I've read about in a book - it's made by a woman who is trying to distract a wild boar from attacking her friend. In the book, the sound is described as "the witch's scream". It ALMOST worked. THIS close. He teetered on his toes and almost fell face down. But not quite - I still had to get in and use another technique. It was fun though. And very educational.

:) :) This was helpful.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To rein that in a bit, I would say that what your talking about is the the same "line in the sand" that Wab25 was talking about. But the way I see it is that it only works in a violent self evident confrontation. This is the point Tez and -A- keep trying to point out. That the common MO for a sexual predator is not self evident. He uses deception. This also applies to other criminals as well but most common in sexual crime. This MO is a major monkey wrench in the MMA type mentality. The assailant does't want to fight , he wants a victim. So he will use deception to make you a victim in a way that will fly under the radar so you internal warning alarms will not go off until it is too late. This goes back to my old posts about cognitive dissonance. The mind will be telling it's self, this can't be happening, I must be imagining things.

Thank you for mentioning this. Sorry to be away for so much of this thread but life has been busy. And today, with the sentencing of Dr. Larry Nassar, this comment and the efforts of Tez and I to focus on this point, is even more horribly clear.

And now I note that the president of Michigan State University has resigned. And three members of the Board of US Gymnastics have resigned. I hope this is the beginning of a process that will hold accountable so many of the people who looked the other way and ignored, dismissed, ridiculed and insulted the young women who were his victims for more than 20 years.

"the mind tells itself, this can't be happening"
Some of the 160 young women and girls did exactly that,in part because 'assault/attack/abuse they faced was not from a stranger, not 'in the street'. And so many of them did exactly as they had been taught. They went to a trusted adult for help with something they didn't understand, an intrusion they couldn't comprehend and received no help, not even from parents and other coaches. Adults, even their own parents, refused to accept the possibility this could happen, even when told by the victims. So many of these girls were told by parents and others they trusted that he was a respected, valuable doctor and they were 'lucky' he was treating them. And he continued to abuse and molest them for years.

It is so horrific, it numbs the mind.

Their statements in court over the last week, delivered straight to his face, are examples of amazing courage.

I will be direct and use accurate language because it is necessary. I hope this meets standards here at MT. I do not intend to be offensive or inflammatory. I welcome any advice from the moderators.

If you don't understand what he did, start here:
google "Larry Nassar, pelvic floor abuse"

In addition to inserting his ungloved, unlubricated finger(s)/hand, into the victim's vagina or anus (or both) and digging into the tissue, he also touched or fondled the breasts or butt of some victims, rubbed his erect penis against their bodies, masturbated while molesting them with his other hand. He did not describe his 'medical' actions to victims or their parents in advance, did not seek consent from anyone prior to his 'treatment' and explained his medical purposes with evasive, dismissive language, relying on his reputation as a respected medical provider at MSU. He was successful for many many years. He cultivated and groomed the parents of these girls, convincing many others he was doing 'legitimate treatments' in spite of the repeated, and desperate outcries from young girls about their horrific pain and the humiliation he caused.

It is well worth looking deeply into this case. We will likely never get as clear a picture of the abuse process, the methods and behavior of a successful abuser/attacker. He was able to deflect and neutralize suspicions and questions for years. US Olympics and Michigan State University officials ignored, deflected. minimized and protected him.

But he was also successful because adults around him, (including parents) were accustomed to denial and rejection of the reports of these girls, often their own daughter. I believe this was in part because their picture of assault/abuse was shaped by their belief that they could recognize an abuser.attacker and he could never be someone they knew, someone who they considered a trustworthy professional or friend. And by the constant public focus on dangerous 'strangers'. A focus shared by so many presenting self defense for women.

The investigation that resulted in todays sentencing for Nassar actually began in August, 2016 with their published stories on abuse by another women's coach, Bill McCabe. One of Nassar's victims saw that report (Out of Balance) and contacted the reporters.

Follow IndyStar's investigation of USA Gymnastics and Larry Nassar from start to finish

Maybe it's best to stop here and start another thread, concentrating the overwhelming frequency of abuse and assault by trusted and known people. For me, its the very least we can do, as people who assert that we are honestly working toward the safety and (self) defense of women. I believe that goal is shared among us, but reality has been easily avoided. Maybe that can stop now.

w/respect, A

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for mentioning this. Sorry to be away for so much of this thread but life has been busy. And today, with the sentencing of Dr. Larry Nassar, this comment and the efforts of Tez and I to focus on this point, is even more horribly clear.

And now I note that the president of Michigan State University has resigned. And three members of the Board of US Gymnastics have resigned. I hope this is the beginning of a process that will hold accountable so many of the people who looked the other way and ignored, dismissed, ridiculed and insulted the young women who were his victims for more than 20 years.

Some of the 160 young women and girls did exactly that,in part because 'assault/attack/abuse they faced was not from a stranger, not 'in the street'. And so many of them did exactly as they had been taught. They went to a trusted adult for help with something they didn't understand, an intrusion they couldn't comprehend and received no help, not even from parents and other coaches. Adults, even their own parents, refused to accept the possibility this could happen, even when told by the victims. So many of these girls were told by parents and others they trusted that he was a respected, valuable doctor and they were 'lucky' he was treating them. And he continued to abuse and molest them for years.

Their statements in court over the last week, delivered straight to his face, are examples of amazing courage.

I will be direct and use accurate language because it is necessary. I hope this meets standards here at MT. I do not intend to be offensive or inflammatory. I welcome any advice from the moderators.

In addition to inserting his ungloved, unlubricated finger(s)/hand, into the victim's vagina or anus (or both) and digging into the tissue, he also touched or fondled the breasts or butt of some victims, rubbed his erect penis against their bodies, masturbated while molesting them with his other hand. He did not describe his 'medical' actions to victims or their parents in advance, did not seek consent from anyone prior to his 'treatment' and explained his medical purposes with evasive, dismissive language, relying on his reputation as a respected medical provider at MSU. He was successful for many many years. He cultivated and groomed the parents of these girls, convincing many others he was doing 'legitimate treatments' in spite of the repeated, and desperate outcries from young girls about their horrific pain and the humiliation he caused.

It is well worth looking deeply into this case. We will likely never get as clear a picture of the abuse process, the methods and behavior of a successful abuser/attacker. He was able to deflect and neutralize suspicions and questions for years. US Olympics and Michigan State University officials ignored, deflected. minimized and protected him.

But he was also successful because adults around him, (including parents) were accustomed to denial and rejection of the reports of these girls, often their own daughter. I believe this was in part because their picture of assault/abuse was shaped by their belief that they could recognize an abuser.attacker and he could never be someone they knew, someone who they considered a trustworthy professional or friend. And by the constant public focus on dangerous 'strangers'. A focus shared by so many presenting self defense for women.

The investigation that resulted in todays sentencing for Nassar actually began in August, 2016 with their published stories on abuse by another women's coach, Bill McCabe. One of Nassar's victims saw that report (Out of Balance) and contacted the reporters.

Follow IndyStar's investigation of USA Gymnastics and Larry Nassar from start to finish

Maybe it's best to stop here and start another thread, concentrating the overwhelming frequency of abuse and assault by trusted and known people. For me, its the very least we can do, as people who assert that we are honestly working toward the safety and (self) defense of women. I believe that goal is shared among us, but reality has been easily avoided. Maybe that can stop now.

w/respect, A
I would be interested in following that thread. I don’t think I can contribute much, as this is an area I do not attempt (nor claim) to help with, except in an accidental way. I’d b interested in learning if there are things I can do within my programs that would contribute in some way to addressing this. I don’t teach young girls (or boys). I don’t currently teach teens, though I have opened registration for them. But I do teach women, so there should be something useful I can learn.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

w/respect, A
Great idea - I would love to contribute.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's more like getting the job done despite what's going on in your head. And summoning the right vibe WHILE getting the job done to help get it done. Adrenaline helps.
hmm, your both right to a certain point extent, adrenaline or rather the danger response can indeed help, but it can also hinder, it has the effect of pumping glucose rich blood in to your muscles, this gives you greater energy and maximal strengh, how ever is has the draw back of reducing you fine motor skills, or in some cases all motor,skills and you can literally be frozen stiff with fear

, this isn't help by the fact that it takes blood from other organs including the brain that can further hamper your movement skills, and of course cause the intestines or bladder to evacuate their contents..

these are a few of the things you don't want if you are in a " fight" . Even if your response is one of hitting back in rage, the emotion takes away from your co ordination and control of your body. And someone who has full control can just pick you off, its common for fighters or sports men in general to try and enrage their opponents by insulting their wife/ mother etal, as they know that an enraged oppoinent will perform below par

a little adrenaline is great, to much can be a real problem.

Last edited:

GreatUniter

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Should Women learn self defense more and more nowadays? How it will help in nowadays life? From what thing women should start learning the self defense tricks?

Yes, definitely. I think all girls and women should take self defense classes with a proper teacher. It will help a lot with prevention of street assaults (especially sexual) on women if they have at least a basic set of skills for self defense. What do you mean from what thing women should start learning? "Thing" is move, system, martial art, instructor..?

Status
Not open for further replies.