Women Self Defence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are talking about different things here. I'm not talking about whether the atmosphere is right for women but what is being taught. With the best will in the world and the most honest good instructors they may not be teaching what works for women.
I entirely agree with that. And there's good evidence that error is gender-neutral.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I entirely agree with that. And there's good evidence that error is gender-neutral.

Exactly and there is no way for inexperienced students to know whether the training whether for self defence or anything else such as competition is any good until it comes to the crunch.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly and there is no way for inexperienced students to know whether the training whether for self defence or anything else such as competition is any good until it comes to the crunch.
For competition they might be able to, because of trophies and such (excepting of course those with fake trophies). Beyond that, Agreed.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For competition they might be able to, because of trophies and such (excepting of course those with fake trophies). Beyond that, Agreed.

Ooo the 'insert quotes' bit has turned up again!

What I meant by the crunch was entering competitions and finding out whether what you were taught was right as well as having to use your SD 'skills' on a real situation. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ooo the 'insert quotes' bit has turned up again!

What I meant by the crunch was entering competitions and finding out whether what you were taught was right as well as having to use your SD 'skills' on a real situation. :)

So nobody should be teaching self defence?

Because nobody knows if it works.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So nobody should be teaching self defence?

Because nobody knows if it works.

Duh, no. I'm saying beginners and inexperienced students don't know what is good SD is and what isn't unlike thou who knows it all.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, never mind then... I enjoyed it.

Have you seen the film 10, the one where women are rated according to looks etc? And the one the middle aged guy is obsessed with is an 11? Grading women on looks etc 1-10/11, not so good.

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you seen the film 10, the one where women are rated according to looks etc? And the one the middle aged guy is obsessed with is an 11? Grading women on looks etc 1-10/11, not so good.

I don’t think the numbers were in reference to looks. I read it as a reference to fighting skill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, for crying out loud - it was a JOKE! Yes, I've seen the movie, it's a horrible movie except the part with Bo Derek running in the surf. It's a hot scene - and that's all there is to it.

In this case, someone humorously attempted to emphasize these ladies' fighting skill. Aren't you tired of trying to find offence where there is none? If you don't like the article - fine. But is it absolutely necessary to nitpick at something to be personally offended about?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, for crying out loud - it was a JOKE! Yes, I've seen the movie, it's a horrible movie except the part with Bo Derek running in the surf. It's a hot scene - and that's all there is to it.

In this case, someone humorously attempted to emphasize these ladies' fighting skill. Aren't you tired of trying to find offence where there is none? If you don't like the article - fine. But is it absolutely necessary to nitpick at something to be personally offended about?

Aren't you tired of being angry and projecting that on to others? No I'm not 'offended' in the least, why do you think that people are 'offended' when they disagree with you? This is a discussion site, people disagree with each other all the time. Accusing people of being offended is just plain silly, why would you think what you have to say is 'offensive'?

As I said before I think language differs between us, it does between American and British English anyway as well as cultural differences. I think you are possibly still angry at my original comments on SD for women and see everything I post as combative. I can assure you I am not in the least offended and I believe we are talking at odds.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

Dont mind Tez, i have come to the conclusion she is a UK modern feminist.(but maybe doesnt know it) from what i gather it is a left leaning majority over there. even their "Right" is left.
i wonder how many people know facebook started as a way to rate hot college girls. but yet no one will boycott or say anything about it. rating hot women is a thing. its actually something women do to guys too, so lets not get all "holier than thou" about it.
however 1 though 10 is old fashion. now we have "kill, marry, F*@%"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont mind Tez, i have come to the conclusion she is a UK modern feminist.(but maybe doesnt know it) from what i gather it is a left leaning majority over there. even their "Right" is left.
i wonder how many people know facebook started as a way to rate hot college girls. but yet no one will boycott or say anything about it. rating hot women is a thing. its actually something women do to guys too, so lets not get all "holier than thou" about it.
however 1 though 10 is old fashion. now we have "kill, marry, F*@%"

Actually it's kill, marry, avoid.

Your left is right leaning I'm afraid, we've been the way we are for many centuries, millennia even before the US came along. My garden wall is older the USA. Our right isn't left at all just more moderate than your right. As for describing me as a UK modern feminist, you are incorrect, at 64 I'm not what Americans call a feminist which is usually an insult. If you mean I campaign for equal rights, no FGM, no child marriages etc then yes I do, along with my 10 million sisters in WAGGGS.
The FB comment is a nice bit of anti Semitism against Zuckerberg who a film asserted used it to get 'non Jewish girls'. It's usually quite nasty about Jewish women btw the reasons given why he didn't want a Jewish woman.

I always think it's say that so many don't appreciate irony, sarcasm and other forms of wit that many think is actually 'taking offence'. The written piece about 'Samurai women' I will leave to @Chris Parker to confirm or correct but frankly the writing itself was of primary school grade hence my amusement of the grading 1-10 being an 11. Think about it.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
The FB comment is a nice bit of anti Semitism against Zuckerberg who a film asserted used it to get 'non Jewish girls'. It's usually quite nasty about Jewish women btw the reasons given why he didn't want a Jewish woman.
i never heard of that, not to say it cant be true. i just heard it was a "thing" for the college guys to go to the web sight and rate their college female peers.

and BTW i have no idea what movie or book or what ever your debating. i just find it interesting how things get under people skins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions