Women and Ninjutsu; good idea?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Bujinkan Hiryu Dojo is in Hamilton where im from, thanks for the link. I know the Judo club but have never come across this club before, will have to check it out.

I checked out the above website. I don't know the guy, but I get a good feel from the way he presents himself. I would say definitely worth going and checking out.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with David. I like the way the website reads. Check out a class, and feel free to ask for the instructor's credentials.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I truly appreciate all your input, it help considering I really have no idea what to look for.

I emailed the school as they are having a seminar in March, would be interesting to go along. I have just started Wushu, but Im still open to most new arts at this point.

How are you doing with your search Tarot?? If we follow this through and like the art MT could have a couple new lady Ninjas to deal with :)

OP
Tarot

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
How are you doing with your search Tarot?? If we follow this through and like the art MT could have a couple new lady Ninjas to deal with :)
Oh I wish! :) But from the responses it doesn't sound like these schools in my area are on the up and up. Bummer for me. :( I hope yours works out! :D

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tarot said:
Oh I wish! :) But from the responses it doesn't sound like these schools in my area are on the up and up. Bummer for me. :( I hope yours works out! :D

Hmm. I wouldn't go that far, and I'd hate to think I turned you off from trying out Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

Personally, I would stay away from the Columbus Ninjutsu Club, although I hate to say it just looking at a website. Testing for Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is "optional" at their school. And whatever rank that red belt is in their system, he certainly has garbage for taijutsu.

It's the movement that counts, individually. And how well you learn from a particular teaching style that matters most in picking an instructor.

Since you don't have a lot of experience, you should probably visit many schools before you make a choice you plan to stick with. Get a wide range of experiences, and then pick the place that just feels like home.

Good luck with your search.

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
rutherford said:
To be honest, it looks like a totally different way of picking up Bujinkan skills than I'm used to... I'm not sure I like the drill they were doing with pads. I've surely done that in other arts and boxing workouts, but I vastly prefer aiming at real targets.

Interesting. If you take a look at the original Ten Chi Jin ryaku no Maki written by Soke, there's a section on striking makiwara, as opposed to a "real" target, before practicing striking kyusho on a live target. I hear some people complain about how difficult training in the Bujinkan is. I found my past five years here in Japan to be pretty easy; you just let go of what you "prefer" to do, and do what the teacher says...but I guess some people find difficulty with that.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kizaru,
I think Rutherford was talking about the punching pads they had on their hands like in boxing drills. Not something like a makiwara that is solid.

I tend to agree with him on the real target thing. Putting a pad on your body and the other guy hitting that is something we both have done. Flashing a punching pad like the do in boxing is not.

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tarot said:
There are two Ninjutsu schools in my area that I am hoping to check out soon. I was wondering if those taking Ninjutsu would think it's a good MA for women to learn? Do you currently have women in your school? :)

I think it is as I'm a women and take it. :) My shurriken throwing ability and accuracy are getting better all the time. I was already pretty good about sneaking around and hiding before ninjutsu, so that's a strength.

Becky

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kizaru said:
I found my past five years here in Japan to be pretty easy; you just let go of what you "prefer" to do, and do what the teacher says...but I guess some people find difficulty with that.

I often have trouble doing what my teacher says, but I always attempt to do it to the best of my ability.

However, if my teacher said, "Hit this pad on my hand while I walk straight backwards." I'd look at him funny for a second and wonder why. And then I'd HIT THE PAD. I wouldn't flare my elbo, I'd punch with my whole body, and if I had a guard up it wouldn't be in a position where a return shot would send my fist straight into my face.

And, to be honest, I don't particularly enjoy makiwara training. Or hitting a bag.

lunatic

White Belt
Reaction score
I also train in ninjutsu/taijutsu, and I like it a lot. Probably about ten percent of the people in my dojo that train regularly are women, and most of us are pretty serious. I used to study karate, and I prefer what I'm doing now. I think some aspects of taijutsu play to women's strengths; it's not an art that relies a lot on being able to knock somebody down with a punch or a kick, and it relies on having a good foundation in body mechanics which I think a lot of women have- less stiff, more fluid. I hope you have good luck finding a good instructor and that you enjoy the training!

-Lisa Coray

MrFunnieman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tarot said:
Ah well. I'll keep them on my list but I'll check out some other schools first.

rutherford, I have looked at BKR before. The website says they only have class once a week so I ruled it out because I would like to attend more sessions.

Bigshadow, thank you for that link. :) I checked it out but there were only three schools near me, those listed in this thread. This discipline sounded really interesting so I was hoping to give it a try. I'm sure I'll find something else soon.

Tarot, I know the guys that started the CNC and I agree with the comments of rutherford and Bigshadow.

If you are interested in ninjutsu and it's elements you might look up the Columbus Quest Center. It's owned my Michael Francis. He may have changed the name to Jizaikan Kage Dojo (or something to that effect). He's a great guy and I know there are several women training there. It's not affiliated with the Bujinkan, but all the material taught is derived from there. The school is located in the Silver Lane Center on N. Hamilton Rd. in Gahanna. If anything it's worth a visit and they train four or five days a week. If not... pursue Aikido :)

OP
Tarot

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MrFunnieman, Thank you so much! I will definitly contact them. :D

lalom

Green Belt
Reaction score
MrFunnieman said:
If you are interested in ninjutsu and it's elements you might look up the Columbus Quest Center. It's owned my Michael Francis. He may have changed the name to Jizaikan Kage Dojo (or something to that effect). He's a great guy and I know there are several women training there. It's not affiliated with the Bujinkan, but all the material taught is derived from there. The school is located in the Silver Lane Center on N. Hamilton Rd. in Gahanna. If anything it's worth a visit and they train four or five days a week. If not... pursue Aikido :)

Columbus Quest Center is now Jazaikan Kage Dojo which is the subject in another thread on this forum entitled "New X-Kan?" An off-shoot of the Bujinkan to To-Shin Do to Jazaikan Aiki Ninjutsu.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my experience, women don't tend to stick around as long as guys if there's a problem.
so true. even if there isn't a problem. we have had 3 girls sign up for class in Jiu-jitsu, and after a couple months they still pay, but almost never show up, then leave.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shogun said:
so true. even if there isn't a problem. we have had 3 girls sign up for class in Jiu-jitsu, and after a couple months they still pay, but almost never show up, then leave.

Well, quit scaring them off, Shogun!

:D :D

seansnyder

White Belt
Reaction score
Tarot said:
There are two Ninjutsu schools in my area that I am hoping to check out soon. I was wondering if those taking Ninjutsu would think it's a good MA for women to learn? Do you currently have women in your school? :)

My wife has been taking it for quite a while-I guess to answer your question you could take a look at Natasha Morgan-that is one young lady I would not want to mess with-I could put my wife in the same category-So to answer your question yes it's a great art for women to take-nothing better than "beautiful and deadly".

Sean Snyder