Women and Ninjutsu; good idea?

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are two Ninjutsu schools in my area that I am hoping to check out soon. I was wondering if those taking Ninjutsu would think it's a good MA for women to learn? Do you currently have women in your school? :)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tarot said:
There are two Ninjutsu schools in my area that I am hoping to check out soon. I was wondering if those taking Ninjutsu would think it's a good MA for women to learn? Do you currently have women in your school? :)
Certainly! It is a great art for women. Over the past few years we have had a couple of women train at our dojo. I think women progress well in this art (if they have a good teacher). I have trained with women before. This art doesn't require a great amount of strength or muscle.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I prefer to train at schools that have women. I've said before that I think it's a good indication of the instructor's teaching. In my experience, women don't tend to stick around as long as guys if there's a problem. There are currently 2 girls who come regularly to the training group I'm having trouble getting to, but the ratio has often been higher in the past.

And, yes, it is a very good art for ladies and there are whole areas men will never learn. (Of course, finding instruction in these topics is also extremely difficult for women.)

Which two schools? The BKR group that's under Sean Askew (who lives in Kentuky, I believe) was the only one I remember in Columbus.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have 3 women in our school. They do very well.

OP
Tarot

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks! :D The two schools I'm looking at are the Columbus Ninjutsu Club and the Central Ohio Budo. Have you heard of those before?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of Central Ohio Budo. Do you know who teaches there? I find it odd it's not mentioned on the website, and I think the membership dues are a big investment.

But, that might be your only hope if you insist on a Shidoshi instructor. Go ahead and ask to see the card.

Columbus Ninjutsu Club was a training group, the last I heard. But, although I don't know the club I do know the BKR reputation and I think you'll definitely learn to apply your knowledge.

You should definitely try them both and see which seems to fit you better.

OP
Tarot

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you so much for that information! I do not know who teaches at Central Ohio Budo. I found them via www.dojolocator.com and they do not have their own website. I will be calling them soon to see if I can stop by and ask them about their school.

CNC does have their own website and it's pretty informative. They only seem to have classes three days a week (I was hoping to go 4-5) though. Hopefully I will get to check them out next week. :)

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tarot said:
Thank you so much for that information! I do not know who teaches at Central Ohio Budo. I found them via www.dojolocator.com and they do not have their own website. I will be calling them soon to see if I can stop by and ask them about their school.

Ahh. You didn't find the website I see. Here's the link I found, and I have to say it wasn't easy. But, I do it for a living.

http://www.cobd.net/

You could attend both dojos, as long as the instructors don't mind - and they shouldn't as long as you're open about it and pick 1 place to do your testing.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, hell. I've been totally wrong.

The club I was thinking of is this site: http://www.bkrcolumbus.com/

I had no idea there were that many bujinkan schools in Columbus. Guess it's been a while since I've looked, and I didn't know about the Bujinkan when I lived in Columbus.

Ask the Shidoshi-Ho at CNC who their Shihan is, if you like. I always find it odd when people don't say who they learned from.

But, then I'm just plain curious about lineage. You don't know if you're gonna actually like the class and learn anything until you get on the mat.

OP
Tarot

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ack! I totally do know about the website. However it's bookmarked on my laptop and not my desktop so I forgot about it. Color me red. :eek:

What were your thoughts on the website? The CNC website is:
COLUMBUS NINJUTSU CLUB

It has music and a video, so you can go in prepared. :)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tarot said:
Thank you so much for that information! I do not know who teaches at Central Ohio Budo. I found them via www.dojolocator.com and they do not have their own website.

You may want to use www.winjutsu.com to find Bujinkan schools in your area. Both are listed on that site and both have websites. However, you may find others nearby.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Certainly! It is a great art for women. Over the past few years we have had a couple of women train at our dojo. I think women progress well in this art (if they have a good teacher). I have trained with women before. This art doesn't require a great amount of strength or muscle.

Gee, maybe that's what I need - as it doesn't "require a great amount of strength or muscle" You guys jump? I have strength some muscle though, but can't do any more jumping.

And besides, my little black poodle pup is named Ninja!~ Can't see him most of the time. TW

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tarot said:
What were your thoughts on the website? The CNC website is:
COLUMBUS NINJUTSU CLUB
To be honest, it looks like a totally different way of picking up Bujinkan skills than I'm used to. The belt colors are wierd. And, I'm not sure I like the drill they were doing with pads. I've surely done that in other arts and boxing workouts, but I vastly prefer aiming at real targets.

EDIT - Alright, I looked at it a few more times. I just don't understand what they were trying to show with the beginning of that video. It's more than a bit wierd, and the guy center camera looks terrible. It's really bugging me. Bigshadow, watch the vid and give me a 2nd opinion. What would you think if somebody threw a jab at you like that?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
To be honest, it looks like a totally different way of picking up Bujinkan skills than I'm used to....I'm not sure I like the drill they were doing with pads. I've surely done that in other arts and boxing workouts, but I vastly prefer aiming at real targets.

I wonder if that comes from the fact that the instructor is an EFC fighter...

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think Ninjutsu is cool, I would love to train in it but there are no schools in my area.....that I know of....but maybe that’s the point heh, those sneaky ninjas ;)

**congrates to Technopunk on make 5000+ posts**

OP
Tarot

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ah well. I'll keep them on my list but I'll check out some other schools first.

rutherford, I have looked at BKR before. The website says they only have class once a week so I ruled it out because I would like to attend more sessions.

Bigshadow, thank you for that link. :) I checked it out but there were only three schools near me, those listed in this thread. This discipline sounded really interesting so I was hoping to give it a try. I'm sure I'll find something else soon.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score