Winter's bone vs. PETA,

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The actress from the movie Hunger Games first appeared in a small movie called Winter's Bone, a very unnerving look at the hard life to be found in the Ozarj mountain, meth drug industry. In the movie the actress, to feed her family hunts and guts squirrels. Well...PETA came out and attacked this killing of innocent mammals and you know what, the actress said "Screw PETA." A brave but possibly dangerous career move...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2012/04/09/Jennifer-Lawrence-Screw-PETA

Pass the squirrel guts on PETA bread, please. The Hunger Games‘ mega-hottie and Oscar nominee Jennifer Lawrence is apparently as cool in real life as she is playing Katniss, a bowhunting super badass survivor girl in the blockbuster movie.

The 21-year-old beauty gutted a squirrel in the most talked about scene for her role in 2010’s Winter’s Bone, (for which she was nominated). The scene was not faked, she told Rolling Stone magazine: “I should say it wasn’t real, for PETA,” she said. “But screw PETA.”
Prior to shooting Winter’s Bone, (a charming little movie RS describes as “a gritty, gothic, murder story set in Ozark meth country”), Lawrence spent a month in Missouri with a rural family shooting rifles and chopping wood in preparation for the role.

Lawrence is one of those rare stars today who was not born in Southern California, but in Louisville, Kentucky. So, in other words, she's still pretty normal.

Later in the article (titled “America’s Kick-*** Sweetheart”), she tells RS writer Josh Eells that when she is done with her next movie she is “thinking about buying a house. And a big dog. And a shotgun.”

Here's what we can expect to happen now. PETA fascists (but I repeat myself) will fight back. The last thing PETA can deal with is the hottest rising star in Hollywood mocking them and making them appear uncool. So PETA will start some kind of public or private campaign (or both) to use peer pressure (conformity) to shame Lawrence into taking it back and maybe even into appearing in one of their ad campaigns.
The question is, will Lawrence assimilate into the Borg or retain her identity and who she really is?

If you haven't seen Winter's Bone, let me just say this is not a glamour movie. The actress in question is amazing in the role, and really shows she has actual talent and not just a pretty face. The movie is through and through pretty depressing but if you want a gripping movie about overcoming adversity and taking care of your family no matter how hard it may be, this is a movie for you...

Also from the article...

Even though the story is set around the darker elements of mountain life, the characters and culture are still treated with dignity. No Christian zealots, no racists... Just independent people in difficult circumstances, some making the right choices, some making the wrong.

Most appreciated is the film's depiction of an Army recruiting officer and our protagonist (Lawrence), who personifies all that is good and noble about a way of life Hollywood usually belittles.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PETA prefers to enlist terrorists and kill critters themselves. If I saw a PETA person fall off a boat into shark infested water, I'd toss them a blood sausage.

Latest Discussions