Boo Boo better than the Newsroom?

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting piece...is Here Comes Honey Boo Boo better than The Newsroom...one critic thinks so and explains why...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...011ca6-e422-11e2-80eb-3145e2994a55_story.html

A life spent parked in front of the television sometimes throws you a nice curve. The show you’re supposed to pay attention to has nothing to tell you, and the show that’s supposed to rot your brain actually turns it on. The show that’s supposed to be robust and sparky (in an NPR sort of way) just isn’t, and the show that gets everyone wagging their scoldy fingers (in an op-ed sort of way) is refreshingly jam-packed with opportunities for purposeful discussion.
For all its topicality, for all its credentials and high production values, for all its well-intentioned desire to be spot-on about modern politics and society, “The Newsroom” doesn’t work. As revealed by the first four episodes of the second season (beginning Sunday night), even a tweaked “Newsroom” is a still pretty much a bore.

When people launch into one of their tirades against “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo,” I listen and then ask them to think about the show’s solid — if un*or*tho*dox — family values. The father is employed. The mother works hard, in spite of difficulties that include legal blindness, and remains remarkably good-humored, eager to describe her life and share what she has with strangers. A gay relative, “Uncle Poodle,” is accepted with a refreshing, egalitarian joy. The more we hang around the Boo Boo clan, the less they seem like ogres and the more they function as a fascinating entree into America’s most pressing concerns: economy, employment, equality, health, community.
“Here Comes Honey Boo Boo’s” producers have a keen eye for the very details and class indicators that smart observers love to deconstruct. The camera is continually glancing at anything it considers a cultural cue — passing trains, litter, rust, copulating animals, a chicken perched on a pile of laundry, a shack selling “peches.” The show lives for opportunities to follow June and her brood deeper into redneck-land (a go-kart track, a pro-am wrestling match), but finds its best material in the warm, sectional-sofa center of home.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
so we have an apple and brick salad?

Considering that Honey Boo Boo is an offshot of 'Toddlers and Tiaras', a train wreck of epic proportions....

where are you exactly going with this?

For the record, I think the Boo Boos, aside from not being able t put edible food on he table (<vomit>) are not half bad people...which one of you/us can claim to have raised over 10k for charity, a year or a lifetime?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
which one of you/us can claim to have raised over 10k for charity, a year or a lifetime?

Either of the Presidents named Bush, that bastard Romney, but, their charitable giving doesn't count, does it?

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can find a critic to support or tear down anything their opinions are like what part of the body? everybody has one but I am glad Bill you like Honey Boo Boo you should use her instead of Brite Bart in the future. I think the Newsroom is the best show on cable this year and last. I was going to bed but will stay up to watch the premier of this years season. Lets see how many awards the Newsroom gets this year compared to BooBoo.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Either of the Presidents named Bush, that bastard Romney, but, their charitable giving doesn't count, does it?

You/us....last time I looked, neither of them posted here (openly) :rolleyes:
Regular people.
not people for which that is the equivalent to what I carry in the ashtray....

Latest Discussions