Wing Chun - Wooden Dummy or Bob Dummy?

Talisker

White Belt
Reaction score
If someone was wanting to learn and practice Wing Chun at home due to the Covid lockdown. If you could only buy one or the other which would you think is the better option to buy for yourself and why?

Either a Wing Chun wooden Dummy
Or
A Freestanding Bob Boxing Dummy.

I am asking as I am tooing and frowing between which to buy. I can only afford, and only have the space for one but I am not sure which to get.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
I built my dummys.
I have a wooden dummy, a couple pvc dummies, and a bob type called a kendo dummy. My training space has a lot of home made gear.

My Bob was made from pvc and galvanized pipe wrapped in foam rubber and pleather.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bob and the mook yang jong serve different purposes. If you aren't deep into Wing Chun, just go for a Bob. Or say the heck with it and just hang up an old tire and beat it with a stick. That's good cheap fun! :p

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
From a practical standpoint I'd go with Bob. The wooden man looks cooler as a background prop though, and even cooler than that if you can do the forms for it well.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have used both, a wooden dummy is by far a more durable product. The "Bob" didn't last a week before it fell apart.

Maybe it was simply a bad day for it, but I am still reluctant to purchase another.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just go get a good used heavy bag...and beat the snot out of it. Oh, and if it tears: duct tape is your friend.
You're welcome.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have used both, a wooden dummy is by far a more durable product. The "Bob" didn't last a week before it fell apart.

Maybe it was simply a bad day for it, but I am still reluctant to purchase another.
They aren't all created equal. A good one should last nearly forever. I recommend Century.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

What did you do? Rip it´s head off?

...Seriously, I've never really worked with one of those things, but they don't look all that frail. What happened? I mean like did it start splitting or something?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm going to raise the BS flag on this. I've used freestanding bags, hanging bags, and BOB for years and years. There is simply no way you destroyed one in a week, unless you were using it to practice axe.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going to raise the BS flag on this. I've used freestanding bags, hanging bags, and BOB for years and years. There is simply no way you destroyed one in a week, unless you were using it to practice axe.
Well, maybe he was using one of the cheap knock-off "Bobs" you can find online. Could have ordered it by accident. You know, did a search for Bobs and accidentally typed-in Boobs and ended up with this:

1621656469524.png

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What did you do? Rip it´s head off?

...Seriously, I've never really worked with one of those things, but they don't look all that frail. What happened? I mean like did it start splitting or something?
The material, simply started tearing. After a few strikes, the face alone didn't hold up. It could have been defective or the product is simply crap...I don't know, but I do know, that I will not waste the money on another.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's cool. 🙄

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
can you post up a video of you using the wooden dummy. show us rather than telling us .
So you would like me to post a video on whether or not a wooden dummy (made from wood), is more durable than a BoB, made from plastic/polyurethane material?

Do I really need to prove that?

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
So you would like me to post a video on whether or not a wooden dummy (made from wood), is more durable than a BoB, made from plastic/polyurethane material?

no your post proves you are talking BS..thank you for your entertainment.

(moderator note: post edited to correct quote tags)

Last edited by a moderator:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Well, "durability" is relative. So ...if you live in a place full of termites, carpenter ants, woodpeckers, and giant beavers... a wooden dummy would not last nearly as long as a plastic "Bob"dummy.

Now I have a bone to pick with you guys. How come nobody reacted to my super-adolescent post regarding the "Boob dummy" above. That was like ....my best attempt at deliberately juvenile humor in weeks. Sheesh y'all are a tough crowd! :confused:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The material, simply started tearing. After a few strikes, the face alone didn't hold up. It could have been defective or the product is simply crap...I don't know, but I do know, that I will not waste the money on another.
That had to be a defective one. I've used them, and seen them in several places where they got regular usage, and never saw that.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That had to be a defective one. I've used them, and seen them in several places where they got regular usage, and never saw that.
I would assume that was the case. I do know that this specific one, didn't last. Students beat on it for about a week and it was garbage.

Latest Discussions