Wing Chun , Mindset.

Reaction score
Question is two parts:
First ;
I know different lineages have different approaches to this about being offensive or defensive or finding a balance , but what do you prefer when in a fighting situation say 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 , good offense , good defense or just asessing the situation when it occours and trying to be balanced and controlled?

Second ;
I've had this asked me by a friend and i thought some martial artists out there might have some good views about this but , what would you do if someone was verbally abusing you , talking trash just to taunt you ... would you do the same start talking trash back? be the bigger person? attack? In through one ear and out the other? Take some other action you might find appropriate at the time...

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To answer question 1:
In theory I would: depending on the situation, either leave, try to deescalate the situation, be loud and verbal, getting other peoples attention, stating I Don't want to fight ect ect. If a physical confrontation was necessary I would assume a palm facing outwards man sau wu sau, so as to look like the defender. I'd do my best to keep a decent enough amount of range, so that they can't sucker punch me. if possible anyways.
For reasons of law... I'd wait for them to attack me, before I attacked back. Once that happens I would become quite aggressive until the situation was nullified, certainly not going overboard, but I'd rather err on the side of not having to worry about this idiot attacking me any more than the other side of the coin.
With multiple attackers if I have to stay and fight, I would be much more aggressive, obviously you want to block them off from you if possible, so you don't have to deal with them at the exact same time, I haven't yet got to work much with multiple attackers.

Verbal abuse is meaningless to me, I Will walk away every time. Nothing to prove what so ever.
I'd keep an eye out on them as I did so though, no point in getting clobbered from behind.

OP
H
Reaction score
hmm , from what i've gathered nab ,if you can find a norrow alley way or corridor , that helps , a narrow one , too wide and you're cornered all of a sudden... anywho thanks that was an interesting read. I have a similar opinion about the second question although to me there is a breaking point , you know warn the guy to shut up before **** gets serious. That sorta thing.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't address question 1, but as for #2: to be quite honest, if you can't handle trash talk, you should read your sig again.

OP
H
Reaction score
hah so warning someone is egotistical mograph? , Some people they just like to talk trash , its a turn on for them , wouldn't give a second thought to that sorta stuff. If someone's trash talking me and i can get him to shut up just by warning him i think thats an effective way to deal with the tash talk, makes it easier to focus on the more important stuff in life...that being said...Everyone has a breaking point , and if someone is trash talking because he really wants to fight you , its gonna happen sooner or later anyway.

Some peopl on the other hand just want to look cool and show off their kicking accuracy ^^
Funny vid , though it might not be i find it somewhat relative. to The subject at hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qMBOwzWNxI&feature=feedu

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't really give a rats **** what names they call me , but if they attempt to put their hands on me I will go through them like a chain saw.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a counter fighter by nature. Combine that with the "take what is given" concept of the Wing Chun I train in, I tend to be very defensive until attacked, then use the attack to bridge, counter, and destroy. That assumes I do everything right :)

As far as trash talking and taking physical abuse, I would try not to let it get me worked up. When I was younger, I would trash talk back and fight if it escalated. Now that I am older and more confident in who I am, I prefer not to engage with idiots if I can help it. If I must engage with an idiot, I have tough enough skin that I can take a little verbal abuse without having to resort to violence.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You've read things into my statement that were not there. I now see I have wasted my time.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Verbal Chi Sao.

You can play his energy, make him look dumb, and never let it escalate to physical confrontation.

"Warning them" is a dumb idea. It only serves to give them a reason to push things further.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Verbal Chi Sao.

You can play his energy, make him look dumb, and never let it escalate to physical confrontation.

"Warning them" is a dumb idea. It only serves to give them a reason to push things further.

Yep. Because now you haven't left the guy a way out, and he has to save face.

Latest Discussions