Wing Chun-Insider information

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks, I'm going to suggest that you get back on topic and stay there...
The Wing Chun area has had an awful lot of bickering and off topic posts lately, resulting in a number of locked threads, points being issued, and bans.
Let's see if you can avoid getting this one locked, shall we?

Mark A Cochran
Dirty Dog
MartialTalk Senior Moderator

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would rather discuss the content of the video then the title of it.

were the questions he was asking you 'his', or were they scripted by you just for the purpose of making the video(?). Just curious. It (the Q&A) seemed a little rehearsed.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ask joy he's never made a video. I guess everything a secret to him..

I know Joy. I haven't visited his class in a long time, but I'd like to do so again. He doesn't teach "secrets", just good quality WC according to his lineage. I assume he doesn't do videos for the same reason I don't do them. In my case, those reasons would be as follows:

1. I've never done videos, never even tried. It seems like a lot of time and trouble. I prefer the old way of teaching and learning where the teacher works directly with the student.

2. I really don't want the grief. Look how people tear apart other people's videos. Sometimes with valid concerns, more often out of ignorance.

3. There are already plenty of videos out there to use. Most are poor. But sometimes if you know what to look for, you can find useful stuff. So why just add to the heap.

4. If someone wants to know what I do, they can contact me. But, unless something changes, like having a tech-savvy student offer to do the work for me, I can't imagine doing any videos soon. And if I ever do them, I don't know if I'd want them on Youtube for every troll to dissect. Just sayin'

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, to get back on topic.
Futsau, to give the chance that you are genuinely interested in discussion, can you explain the parts of the video where you feel you are sharing 'insider trade secrets' that we should be looking for? Also, please include a few time stamps in the clip we can fwd to to see what you are talking about. Or is the whole clip what you feel is insider info?
It also might help if you can clarify what you mean by 'insider' and 'secrets', who you consider to be an insider that the video is intended for, etc.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know Joy. I haven't visited his class in a long time, but I'd like to do so again. He doesn't teach "secrets", just good quality WC according to his lineage. I assume he doesn't do videos for the same reason I don't do them. In my case, those reasons would be as follows:

1. I've never done videos, never even tried. It seems like a lot of time and trouble. I prefer the old way of teaching and learning where the teacher works directly with the student.

2. I really don't want the grief. Look how people tear apart other people's videos. Sometimes with valid concerns, more often out of ignorance.

3. There are already plenty of videos out there to use. Most are poor. But sometimes if you know what to look for, you can find useful stuff. So why just add to the heap.

4. If someone wants to know what I do, they can contact me. But, unless something changes, like having a tech-savvy student offer to do the work for me, I can't imagine doing any videos soon. And if I ever do them, I don't know if I'd want them on Youtube for every troll to dissect. Just sayin'
-------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Steve- my classes are not open except to students and invited visitors You are always welcome. And I don't recruit here. Today's lesson was about what to do to avoid going to the ground and what t do if you are going to the ground or are on the ground.Because a student asked me and the student does quite dangerous work.
I dont do videos - I dont know how to them and further they wouldnt serve my purposes..My learning and instruction has been hands on..

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
doesn't do videos ...
To me, the following reasons are why I do videos:

- I have learned many forms and many throws. After I have recorded it on video, If I forget my form or my throws, I can refresh my memory from my own video.
- I want to compare the same MA skill that I did 20 years ago, 10 years ago, today, 10 years from today, 20 years from today, ...
- One day when I'm gone, I want at least to leave a bit of trace on earth to prove that I was here.
- When people ask question, instead of trying to write 300 words to answer it, I can just put up a 10 seconds clip.
- When people claim that I don't train "internal", I can put up my old Taiji/XingYi/Bagua clip to prove it.
- When people said that I was bashing MA form training, I can put up my form clip to prove that I do understand form training.
- When I put up a clip and if people make comments, it gives me strong motivation to improve it.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would rather discuss the content of the video ...
The concept to guide your opponent's leading arm to jam his back arm is a good idea.

When you use your left hand to grab on your opponent's right wrist, should you have your hand open to face

- your opponent (as shown in your clip), or
- yourself?

IMO, there is a big different here. If the opening of your left hand is facing to

- your opponent, when he tries to break your grip (against your thumb), his right arm will put your left arm to be on the outside and on the bottom of his right arm. This will open your centerline for his attack.
- yourself, when he tries to break your grip (against your thumb), his right arm will put your left arm to be on the inside and on the top of his right arm. This will open his centerline for your attack.

It's very easy to test this by using your left hand to grab on your right wrist.

It may be better to address both situations in your clip so people can see the difference.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
were the questions he was asking you 'his', or were they scripted by you just for the purpose of making the video(?). Just curious. It (the Q&A) seemed a little rehearsed.

That video was not rehearsed. I had no idea what my student was going to ask me. It should have been rehearsed it would have been alot better.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

Making a video is not a requirement to validate your Wing Chun. It's up to you if you want to share. I prefer to leave something behind and some of my students now live very far from me so i use my YouTube channel as a teaching tool for my long distance students,or just as a reference for my new students between lessons.

Reactions: KPM

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Making a video is not a requirement to validate your Wing Chun. It's up to you if you want to share. I prefer to leave something behind and some of my students now live very far from me so i use my YouTube channel as a teaching tool for my long distance students,or just as a reference for my new students between lessons.

All good points. Eventually I'll probably have to get off my lazy backside and start making videos for personal use. I'm not at all keen on posting them on youtube though. Too much grief.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not at all keen on posting them on youtube though. Too much grief.

I've seen some videos on YouTube where the author can "disable comments"(?)... perhaps that helps limit the amount of grief. Just a thought.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
All good points. Eventually I'll probably have to get off my lazy backside and start making videos for personal use. I'm not at all keen on posting them on youtube though. Too much grief.

I'm with you on the YouTube postings, but I have been told there is a way to filter who sees them so they are not for the General public. So if you ever do go that route (hopefully I never will) there may be options for you to cut down on the grief

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yep -- you can make your YouTube videos "unlisted" or "private."

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny that the OP should be so offended, especially after he was talking some yang on my association's videos before they ended up disabling the comments.

What goes around comes around mate.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Funny that the OP should be so offended, especially after he was talking some yang on my association's videos before they ended up disabling the comments.

What goes around comes around mate.

Hmmm..... haha karma (?) perhaps?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen some videos on YouTube where the author can "disable comments"(?)... perhaps that helps limit the amount of grief. Just a thought.
Sometime the negative comments can help you more than the positive comments can. It helps you to look at something from a different angle. It's just like a mirror that you can see yourself.

If everybody just said:

- excellent clip,
- good job, keep going.
- I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Pretty soon you may build up a big head that you won't even recognize yourself.

I have received a lot of negative comments from my "rhino guard" clip. It forces me to test it more against people from other styles in order to draw my final conclusion. If people just said, "I don't like it" without giving any reasons, I probably just ignore it because no valuable information can be obtained from those comments.

Last edited:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is what I do. I could careless what anonymous nobody's think on Youtube.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometime the negative comments can help you more than the positive comments can. It helps you to look at something from a different angle. It's just like a mirror that you can see yourself.

If everybody just said:

- excellent clip,
- good job, keep going.
- I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Pretty soon you may build up a big head that you won't even recognize yourself.

I have received a lot of negative comments from my "rhino guard" clip. It forces me to test it more against people from other styles in order to draw my final conclusion. If people just said, "I don't like it" without giving any reasons, I probably just ignore it because no valuable information can be obtained from those comments.
I think if you are not advertising or promoting yourself with these videos. Than the criticisms could turn into discussions. Who knows you may learn I may learn from information being shared. Otherwise if video is being presented in a "I know everything" way. It turns into you defending how great you are. I'd like to see some discussion. Like why you think these are insider secrets? Someone said it before. The secrets in MA are right in front of us, out in the open like they should be.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

i would like to see your wing chun.

Latest Discussions