Will virtual training ever be possible?

mvcoburn

White Belt
Reaction score
Not that I believe virtual training will ever take the place of traditional training, but to start a discussion, is it possible? Right now, my son is working towards his 2nd Dan. His instructor is located in another state. While he practices ITF style at one dojang, he trains WTF style "virtually" with another instructor
(We don't have WTF schools where we are located). He trains on his own and then "video's" his progress. When he is ready, we will travel to his other school and take the test. (Please understand, my son has been training with this instructor since he was a white belt so the instructor is well aware of his capabilities. We didn't just contact this guy on-line or anything. There is a long standing relationship.)

While I don't believe this training is ideal, do you think it is possible to train from white to black (or any combination) with this type of training? Can a school create a system that exists completely/partially on-line? Can it be successful?

Thanks.

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would say no. Online/correspondence is not an effective way to learn martial arts. There are too many subtleties that can't be taught this way.

As a supplement to learning in an actual school, maybe there is some benefit. For someone starting from scratch, though, I don't think they could learn effectively solely from online resources.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People have this debate often. My take is at the end of the day. Its your money its your time and its your life. If your happy training from books or videos or over the internet then great I'm glad your doing something. Most people do nothing active anymore some something is better then nothing.
If your asking technology wise then yes I think as things like the Xbox camera thingy and Wii get more advanced you will be able to get close to proper form on things. It depends in the style. I don't think for example BJJ or Judo you could ever learn without a live training partner to try the moves with. But again in the future they may make something to substitute it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a topic that has gotten a lot of discussion over the years, including recently. If you do a search in the forums you will find a number of threads that you might find informative

A few people believe it is possible to accurately and adequately learn strictly thru video/online/distance learning. Most of us feel pretty strongly that it is not possible and that those who pursue such an approach are fooling themselves or are being fooled by whomever convinced them to do this.

As is stated above, video/online can be a good supplemental tool as long as the primary and bulk of the training is with a real instructor, face-to-face and hands-on.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I train virtually everyday.

I train especially harder on holiday, with Kung Fu classics as my guide. ;)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Online/Videos are great for reference. That is from previous training with a live instructor.

For regular training as the sole source of instruction? Well then it is just crap! ;)

Just telling it like I see it!

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As long as you only want to use it against virtual opponents---heck yes! I think it's too common, since some of the folks claiming to be masters appear to have only trained in their own minds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it is totally possible. For example, my ability has gone through the roof since I have put my training exclusively under the undisputed excellence of Master Ken. ;)

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Online/Videos are great for reference. That is from previous training with a live instructor.

For regular training as the sole source of instruction? Well then it is just crap! ;)

Just telling it like I see it!

I think you hit on the key value: if you already have a foundation from live training, then video can be a useful supplement to get ideas or different perspectives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some benefit can be had from some virtual training. There is no substitute for direct feedback. A student's perception of reality does not always reflect the actuality.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can't train any MA without a training partner. With a training partner, if you can record your partner drills, and send to your instructor, your instructor can give you comment and feed back. Most of the time, your training partner may be able to give you more valuable feed back than your instructor does who is 1000 miles away.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you hit on the key value: if you already have a foundation from live training, then video can be a useful supplement to get ideas or different perspectives.
True, but, unless you have a partner to work with to develop those ideas, video alone won't do much for you. :asian:

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I pretty much did that when I was a kid. I grew up watching ever documentation on kung fu movies, karate, tkd, and etc. Most books like Black mag, and some kung fu mags I aways read. You may fool people into thinking you know something but if you never spar, then you don't really know anything. I have had people say to me when growing up that they thought I knew karate. I had someone try to push me in the wall of a bathroom when I was a kid and just used some footwork from akido that I say, turned him and pushed him into the wall. For me it was just using his energy against him. Now could I fight, nope. Never tried too. I didn't take TKD until I was like 27. I retain a lot of flexiabilty since I stretched a lot as a kid and I remember when I first started that most people thought I had taken it before. Just mimicing the basics in arts and thats all.

I know how important sparring is in the building of your skills. Live movement with a partner is always good. Now as far as he doing ITF and then doing sparring for WTF, I am sure he can practice at the school he is in and just video rec it and send it in. But would be hard for him to learn if the actural teacher isn't there. I think.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes and No. If you simply use virtual training and that's it, then NO!

However if you are already versed in your art and you have a training partner then you can use a DVD to supplement your training with said partner. Not going to say much more than that as most of you understand what I am saying without going into a long detailed step by step post.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think nontraditional learning methods are valid IF... one has a good foundation and IF one has developed good self evaluation skills. I have improved my handgun shooting by putting a fake round and balancing a coin on the barrel as I aimed and squeezed the trigger. When I went the range, my shooting was very sharp. As a kid, i loved basketball. When practiced foul shots, moves to the hoop and rebounds alone in the schoolyard, my game improved by leaps and bounds. In both examples, i watched videos and read books to enhance my technique.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For the a large percentage of Traditional Martial Artists whom I know, especially in TKD, there is such a large focus on forms and technique, and such a second seat to sparring, most of which seems to be tournament-style tag-fighting, that I think, with an absolutely AMAZING virtual course, video, text, and video communication, and an incredibly devoted and determined student with lots of natural talent, and a buddy to learn with and spar with, that it might be possible to produce someone with very decent skills in forms and technique. As far as teaching the nuances and tiny adjustments that make all the difference when someone is actually swing at you and grappling you and whatever else, no. There is just no way for anyone to pick up on all the little subtleties of weight, of foot placement, of reaction time, angles, whatever else.

That said, when someone develops a robotic sparring partner that can move like an agile martial artist and which I can palm-heel in the face at full force without damaging, then I'll be all on-board the virtual-training boat! Assuming I am, in my imaginary future, somehow wealthy enough to get access to such a machine.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Maybe virtual martial arts training could help you defend against cyber bullies.:rofl:

Yeah? Well here's a video of me performing a roundhouse kick! Take THAT!

Seriously though, sparring robots. WHY DO WE NOT HAVE THEM YET?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Saying "virtual training" is kind of nebulous and you will get many, many different answers.

If you have a foundation and want to learn a new kata in your art, then it may help. Especially with software like Coaches Eye apps that can go frame by frame and have tools to draw/illustrate things.

If you are brand new and are looking to defend yourself, then "no" it is no good. If you are using it as a supplement to actual classtime to work with a partner or learn a technique that will be checked soon then again I think it can be a good tool when used as a supplement to class.

In the OP, I think it would be valuable since there is a relationship with the instructor and the person already has a blackbelt ranking (experience) in the art. So, if you are just learning new moves etc. The basic foundation is already there in the same style. Now, if you were a TKD person and were trying to learn a different art with a different foundation and mechanics then I don't think it is beneficial. Otherwise you are just performing Style X with the choreography of Style Y.