Wii and martial art fitness

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think a lot of people on this thread may be surprised how bad they woul be on the quick thinking balance games. Move two bottom paddles with shifting your weight and moving a controller in the opposite direction, but doing having to do it in a quick time before acolored ball falls into the wrong bucket. Then speed it up with multiple colored balls. Not a substitute for the dojo, but a goos supplement for a work out at home when wanting to do something different.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's something different, but does it really offer a benefit or martial arts? From what I can tell by playing around with the Wii, it is fairly easy to spoof it, to a degree. The controller can register motion with very little effort.

There are some minor supplemental benefits to playing games, such as increased hand-eye coordination, but I really don't see the games as a way of improving oneself, unless a person was completely sedentary and needed a substantial boost to get themselves active again.

I have no issue with video games, I'm a gamer myself. I just think that they are better as recreation than training...and the best reason to play games is because you enjoy them, not because you want to improve your skills.

A better strategy would be to put in the time on the mat, or in practice at home, then reward yourself by playing a game you like. :)

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Improve Martial arts ability???

Super Nintendo - Killer Instinct. 45+ hit combo's FTW.

Seriously. I guess some balance board stuff maybe useful but you would get much better results out of a yoga/tai chi classes or similar.
Get out there and do the real thing :)

Luke

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am not understanding why you cannot use it to improve balance? From what I have played there was some tough balance games on there? It cannot simulate defense against an attack, a kata or grappling, but I feel it can work core and balance. My wife has used it from a fitness standpoint and she has toned, increased balance/posture and mental relaxation. Everyone trains based on what they feel is correct for them. My opinion is if I cannot get to the dojo and I want to do something different then hit weights at home I work on the balance games. Of course the damn board does not take in muscle weight and it gives me a pudgy MII:)

Latest Discussions