• Saw it in the movies and thought it would be fun

• Fitness

• Other (please post why)

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by arnisador

The Filipino arts it in very well with just about any art--good luck!

I think he's trying to tell you something.....:shrug:

shotman

White Belt
Reaction score
Arnisador asked how have I used my martial arts in law enforcement. The use of control and restraint techniques is always needed as is an appreciation of tactical awareness. These elements are all vital for both martial artists and law enforcement personel.:samurai:

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yup, I admit it, I did it to impress the chicks! There, I said it, so what? Women love men in uniform:boing1: :rofl:

Seriously though sportsfans, I signed up for the fitness aspect of the martial arts and also more importantly, to learn a method of self-defense. Its worked out pretty well so far. Getting my *** in gear and beginning my MA training is one of the best decisions I've made in my life. :asian:

Oh yeah, and by the way, I'm still aiming to impress the chicks...

:ladysman:

I took up MA because i was impressed by a chick, does that count?
icon12.gif
She was doing Capoeira so i started as well - but stayed after she left as i found how just how much the aerobic workout chilled out my panic attacks (I've had an anxiety disorder for 12 years now - not going into that). However, after a year of high repitition/high impact exercise on concrete floors, my knees were shot and i had to stop.
icon9.gif
I still miss it and get pangs everytime i see a Roda down on St. Kilda beach.

After leaving Capoeira, i had just enough of the movements in me to know that i didn't want to let it go, but didn't know quite where to go with my dodgy joints. Then i met a Zi Ran Men (Nature boxing) instructor at my local climbing gym and wound up training at his gym. He also taught Ba gua, which i started 6 months later and still continue to this day. I find it very easy on my poor knees, yet still with the fluid circular movements i fell in love with during my brief fling with Capoeira. And my panic attacks are much more controllable now as well - my training has had a large role to play in that.
icon7.gif

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
took some judolessons at age 6/7--didn't like martial arts at all at the time always losing against the older kids-one friend in particular from srilanka whos dad was a blackbelt actually he was a good friend and i don't remember that much why i didn't like it?.
i was often picked on as a kid moving around lots..more so when moving to northamerica canada...
one day i couldn't take it anymore and had an adam sandler style tantrum at the biggest one of the 'attackers'. i was in grade 4 and the kid was at least in grade 6 or 7-?i dunno he could have been in grade 10??he was huge! but my spaz easily place me sitting on top of him ready to claw his face off screaming in tears as the teachers pried me off him...that was the only time in my whole life that i spazed at someone fullout.
after that i had some people pick on me. when i was younger i was very frightened of people getting angry with me because i didn't understand everything yet. i ended up quite a devious rebel...i continue to this day to be more afraid of the justice in a mans heart than any weapons, goons or beating or even injury. although i have discovered in the meantime what justice is and when someone has it or when someone doesn't. also learned to control myself in all sorts of situations.
actually, thats just a couple of childhood experiences, when i was around 12 i saw some ma movies and then began to feel this urge to train my body to it's fullest potential, or rather i was bent on achieving certain skills like acrobatics and flexibility as well as learning all the well known and classic arts. from what i wanted, most i achieved...some i am still in the process of learning.

j

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It was seeing Master Po and Master Kan on the TV show Kung-Fu. Kung Fu seemed so complete as an art and philosophy, the way of the Shaolin (as protrayed in the series) seemed a very admirable life.

whitetiger2001

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was writing a short story witha main character who had martial arts training. I felt that I needed to have a feel for the skills my charachter had so I could make it more authentic. The story has yet to be published but I eventually took my interest into a new direction and became a pert time Assist Instructor in my schol. Funny how the path traken doesn't alway go to the destination one expects

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started Tai Chi because I liked the Art. I still do Tai Chi even tho I have never done it as Martial Art. To understand better what I was doing I started another Art which I thought had much in common with Tai Chi and that is Aikido. I loved Aikido immediately.

So I can say I started and still doing those Martial Arts merely because I like those Arts, not because of the fighting part. Of course I do not disregard the Martial part in them.

tsd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Other => My butt was getting sore watching the rest of my family train.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i wanted to do the splits. also i just felt this mystical feeling whenever id look at the grandmastersimons templekungfu add in the yellowpages. got into nunchaku and japanese arts. i liked highkicks and fancy moves but also was interested in aikido grappling as well as being really interested in what is truely effective.
i dunno exactly why i started liking ma...i think it has many reasons on various levels.

benj13bowlin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started, because I have always been interested but until now have never had the opportunity. Except for hand-to-hand training in the army, and a few random lessons in Iraq when my platoon sergeant was bored. I also wanted to do something in addition to weight training to stay in shape.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Warrior mindset. Wanted to become even badder of ***.

My sensei said everybody starts martial training out of fear, and the motivation gradually changes over time to love.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw Jerry Gould thumpin' the #### in a demo, & I said "Yeah, Dad, this does look cool. I'm in."
img46.gif

Of course, my motivations have changed over time...

tntma12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I first started martial arts when I very young because I got picked on alot, and was scared of everyone. 20 years later, my reasons have changed, and I just love training, teaching, and anything to do with martial arts.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was on a bad track in my life. I was neck deep in drugs and had lost some of my friends. The drugs and party life had taken a major toll on my body so i decided to do something about it. Always love the MA's and decided to look for a dojo. Over a year year later Im drug free and am working towards my blue belt in SKK

B

Latest Discussions