why train unusable techs

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are techniques that I doubt I would ever use - especially those that are more fitted for the same-size-opponent situation. I'd never use them on a man or someone much larger than me. However, I might teach a larger man for whom a particular technique that seems worthless to many students might work very, very well.

Then there are those scant few weird techniques that you have to wonder, "who would EVER use that?" Down the road a few years, you find someone for whom they work and who can put them to use like you put your fave techniques to work.

I think it's a matter of learning the possibilities and intricacies and expanding the arsenal so you can answer that 4'9" student's question, "How can I do ____" or the big guy's similar question, etcetera.

My .02 ...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
I always love hearing that LOL. "The extensions are busy work". When I hear that I usually say "Well forms must be REAL busy work seeing as they're just techniques you've already learned a while ago done again as dance routine" Then I get the "YOU GOT ME LOOK" :xtrmshock ROTFLMAO. Will they ever learn?

So true, and I can just imagine that look!! LOL! Afterall, look at Short 3...numerous SD techs. in that kata.

Mike

Dancing Dragon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"Your best move... is the move that you regret not doing!"

- Fei Long, Street Fighter

I take that statement very seriously. If you feel a technique is necessary, then use it! You may regret not doing it later.

Mr. Han: "Your style is very unorthodox."
Williams: "Yeah, but effective..."

- "Enter the Dragon"

So what if a technique seems to be a bit weird, that makes it that much better when using it against an opponent. Much like Drunken Kung Fu, that style is very difficult to predict, and during a fight unpredictability is your friend!

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't equate "martial art" with "self defense," so I don't tend to classify techniques as "usable" vs "unusable."

I've taken courses in "self defense" and the moves tend to be straightforward and simple to execute in a stressful situation. There's also emphasis on the psychological aspects of SD.

As a martial ARTIST, I may want to learn techniques that aren't very usable against the average barroom idiot, but are very usable against a guy in armor or with a sword. It's part of my art.

Sometimes techniques are great, but it's not the way my body likes to move, in which case I say, "Well, that's never going to be my favorite technique."

Sure, martial arts techniques can be usable as self-defense, but if you're only interested in "usable" techniques, you may want to concentrate in a combat or self defense methodology.

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
You are a rare breed. I was just talking about this while teaching today how lots of instructors wont share things just because they cannot/chose not to do them. I salute you.

Thank you for your kind words, Coming from you I truly take this as a compliments a sI hold your comments, posts, threads in high regard as well.

Thanks again

San

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a good reason for the training of techniques that would probably never get used , but still need to be practised. Just last night here in Kansas City there was a group of people attacked by a psycho carrying a machette. This would be the reason for those who still train to dis-arm someone with a sword being able to justify these techniques. I know that machette attacks are few and far between, but it could still happen.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
searcher said:
I have a good reason for the training of techniques that would probably never get used , but still need to be practised. Just last night here in Kansas City there was a group of people attacked by a psycho carrying a machette. This would be the reason for those who still train to dis-arm someone with a sword being able to justify these techniques. I know that machette attacks are few and far between, but it could still happen.
yeah very popular in Brazil, Columbia, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Taiwan, Thailand, etc...

C

CrankyDragon

My thinking is, everything you train in is to make you better, and more rounded.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one brought up this reason:

Hidden applications.

Consider a kata (form) where the rear hand is on the hip. Unusable? Dangerous - not keeping it up to guard or readily strike?

What if you wanted to pull a knife out of your back pocket?

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Unuseable Techniques????????

Ive posted on this topic before but will do so again

I attended a hand gun safety course years ago, The gentleman who taught the class asked what each of us did for a living. At that time I owned several studios and had several outside business interest as well. When I said I taught martial arts the guy just laughed saying to the class kicking and puncing were of no use against a gun. Then he asked us to place our pistols / weapons on the table and sure enough he came over to me when he literally luaghed in my face when he saw my .22 Ruger. He said a .22 simply was of no use in a real life situation. I went on to explain to him that it is the round of choice for many professional killers. The Isrealis use them all the time.
Seems he and I didnt get off to a real good start and it only went down hill from there. The instructor stood in front of me and it was clear I was going to be the guy he would single out for the rest of the day. He made fun of everything I did and said. Then he stood in front of me with the class looking on and say (in a little kids voice), ok, now its your turn to pick up your little toy and show us all if you know how to safely demonstrate how to simulate firing my itty bitty wittle pistol. By now I was beyond pissed and stuck the pistol right on the tip of his nose. The guy about turned blue. And I asked him if he thoght my weapon would work at this range? And did he think it was tooo itty bitty now that he had a chance to look at it real close up???
Needless to say He was more angry than I was.
My point being? No Such thing as an unuseable technique. It isnt the gun folks its the shooter.

Thanks

San

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
VSanhodo said:

I attended a hand gun safety course years ago, The gentleman who taught the class asked what each of us did for a living. At that time I owned several studios and had several outside business interest as well. When I said I taught martial arts the guy just laughed saying to the class kicking and puncing were of no use against a gun. Then he asked us to place our pistols / weapons on the table and sure enough he came over to me when he literally luaghed in my face when he saw my .22 Ruger. He said a .22 simply was of no use in a real life situation. I went on to explain to him that it is the round of choice for many professional killers. The Isrealis use them all the time.
Seems he and I didnt get off to a real good start and it only went down hill from there. The instructor stood in front of me and it was clear I was going to be the guy he would single out for the rest of the day. He made fun of everything I did and said. Then he stood in front of me with the class looking on and say (in a little kids voice), ok, now its your turn to pick up your little toy and show us all if you know how to safely demonstrate how to simulate firing my itty bitty wittle pistol. By now I was beyond pissed and stuck the pistol right on the tip of his nose. The guy about turned blue. And I asked him if he thoght my weapon would work at this range? And did he think it was tooo itty bitty now that he had a chance to look at it real close up???
My point being? No Such thing as an unuseable technique. It isnt the gun folks its the shooter.

Thanks

San

Thats a great story!!! I'm sure the look on this guys face was priceless!!! It just goes to show that what may not work for some, may very well work for others!! As for him saying that MA's are not effective against a gun...well, I have my own thoughts on that.

Mike

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Thats a great story!!! I'm sure the look on this guys face was priceless!!! It just goes to show that what may not work for some, may very well work for others!! As for him saying that MA's are not effective against a gun...well, I have my own thoughts on that.

Mike
Any chance of you teaching me that "catches bullets with teeth" technique Mike? LOL. Anyway on topic. Yeah MA's don't work on guns and there are unuseable techniques. It's true. When is the last time you landed a handsword on a gun and hurt the gun? LOL. MA's work on the guy holding the gun and I can think of one unuseable technique in all of martial arts. I had a guy tell me that you can block with any surface you can break bricks with because it's a hard enough surface. Sounded good right? Wrong! So I showed him some videos of guys breaking bricks with their heads and said "you ready to block some punches and kicks with yours?" No dice.

James

C

CrankyDragon

VSanhodo said:

Thanks

San
OMG no! Id give $20 for a DVD copy of that! HAHA!

I CCW a Bersa Thunder 380, Im ridiculed for having a "small round". Jesus, someone around me has to have a brain, right??

thun380lt_dt_lg.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
Any chance of you teaching me that "catches bullets with teeth" technique Mike? LOL.

Ahh, yes!! I will show you secret tech. that has been passed down!! :uhyeah: LOL!!

Anyway on topic. Yeah MA's don't work on guns and there are unuseable techniques. It's true. When is the last time you landed a handsword on a gun and hurt the gun? LOL. MA's work on the guy holding the gun and I can think of one unuseable technique in all of martial arts.

Ditto!!!!

I had a guy tell me that you can block with any surface you can break bricks with because it's a hard enough surface. Sounded good right? Wrong! So I showed him some videos of guys breaking bricks with their heads and said "you ready to block some punches and kicks with yours?" No dice.

James

LOL! I'm sure the look on his face was priceless also!

Mike

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
VSanhodo said:

Thanks

San
Loving that action :)

Latest Discussions