Why Silat?

ben

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you don't have your own back then who does? Not one of the attackers surrounding you I hope.

Only 4 directions again?

Which four are you referring to?

I don't see how 4 directions can fully encompass the complexity of movement within a 3 dimensional space.

Maybe you could explain in more detail?

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
front center point, back center point side shoulder points.for striking when you turn to defend you back your back is still behind you.what is the one behind you going to do you dont want know you hit them first.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
we are also limited by our strenghs ,for example you could try bench pressing with your arms crossed, but physics says, use a very light weight because you are structuraly weak.we dont want to be limited we just are and the sooner the limits are understood the more unlimited we become.

ben

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
so that's left, right, forward, and back. What about up and down. Or a sort of leftward 45 with a downward arc and a counterclockwise upward corkscrew at the end.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
no ,its the center everything is center related you could take any point draw diagonal lines and circles to the moon but the source is the center.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
45 degrees is that in slanted referrence to your shoulder or to your center.though its one flow, its actually two distict motions that could just as easy break to go clock wise striking up as the body is being buckled.also in between a sweep or a knee should be added

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hypothetically,you can know the alphabit backwards and forwards up and down sideways and diagonal. in the ruins of repetition you might even acidentally spell a word.but all you have is letters if all you have is motions.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Everything you do either buys you a moment or costs you a moment.the principles transcend styles. hard wired awareness of the moment has no
substitute.response should be direct to their reaction.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
always strike in the moment, the best technique's always come from striking, as always I could be wrong

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like it better over here ,If you contort your structure just right you can produce powerfull kicks while doing hand techniques, while in motion

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
45 degrees is that in slanted referrence to your shoulder or to your center.though its one flow, its actually two distict motions that could just as easy break to go clock wise striking up as the body is being buckled.also in between a sweep or a knee should be added

45 degrees refers to alot of things, but in the context you are using, it refers to angular stability. force should be used at a '45 degree angle' relative to the ground through the opponent's center. the correct angle will have a tendancy to 'pin' or 'float' the opponent. in other words, if you 'flatten out' to much on your angle you will either push him away, or pull him forward, allowing him to step to regain balance. a bit part of it making sure your force is vectored through his dantien, though personally i prefer to target the mingmen as a focal point. in this way you are attacking his core and compressing it at an angle that makes it a bit more difficult for him to find the escaping step, i.e. rebalance.

regards.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Extreemly valid points well taken .I see 45 as kind of a generic term the question really is, using the right pressure, at the right degree.alot of specifics are involved .but ultimately all foreward force must have an opposite effect to bring them to you as you close in and direct them on your chosen angle.

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i find this is usually provided by autonomic response to the initial touch or impact. some part will pitch forward and can be grasped to provide the opposite leverage. if the leg comes forward, it's trapped one way or another. as you said, many details and it's very situational.

the '45 degree' compression is the linear component and primarily serves to misalign the vertical column of the body.

the oppositional leverage is used to 'break the waist' or induce whatever degree of twist is necessary to completely break the structure/balance. with that done, it is easy to guide the body down.

regards.

infinite beginner

Purple Belt
Reaction score
that could explain why is works so well.cause effects physics , steep geometry, internal physiology

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
timing is crucial. you have to be fast to interrupt his movements, so they are not completed. if you allow someone to take their chosen step and establish footing, you will have to contend with their strength.

however, if you can catch them mid-stride, they will be very weak because of they are off-balance when moving. this is a major tactic and just part of the rationale for the footwork focus in training. mastering your footwork, and coming to understand what it takes, and what can be done from any position, is crucial to being able to cut another's steps.

regards.

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like it better over here ,If you contort your structure just right you can produce powerfull kicks while doing hand techniques, while in motion

the hands are used not only to guard the body, but also to provide a counterbalance to the kicking action. if you dont use your hands (read arms and torso) to compliment the kick, it will be much weaker. bringing the arms into play on a kicking technique makes it a 'whole body' motion. simply because all of your muscles are moving into the strike.

in particular, i use an arm scissor to do this, and the scissors may also be used to execute various hand techniques, if in the appropriate range. a fine technique is to use the breaking angles to cause him to pitch into your rising kick. this can make for a very heavy impact due to the combined momentums.

regards.

Latest Discussions