Pencak Silat Lecture #2

Pencak Silat Lecture #3

Pencak Silat Lecture #4

Last edited by a moderator:

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really, really good stuff.

Bobbe (note spelling) has been just about everywhere and studied with just about everyone. He's got enough teaching certificates to wallpaper his house. He's got the technical skills, and he can fight. Silat, Kali, Ju Jutsu, Wing Chun, JKDC, Muay Thai, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

He's hard to find, though. He doesn't try to get his name in the comic books. He doesn't promote himself as Great Grand Pooh-Bah Mahalingam. In the photos he's always in the background, not up front mugging with the star of the show. His "school" is in his garage, and I think he actively tries to discourage students.

Bobbe's got a lively and interesting blog. He is putting stuff back up on YouTube after some schmuck hacked his account and removed everything.

Leaving aside the fetishes for Belgian beer and underage barnyard animals (you can take the boy out of South Carolina, but .... :) ) he's one of the best of his generation.

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL! I can't believe I spelled his first AND last name wrong.

Sssshhhh don't tell Bobbe about this post.

It will be our little secret.

Here's Pencak Silat Lecture #1 (is now up)

*Moderator note: mild profanity at the end of the clip. - Carol Kaur, MT Senior mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I forgot about the choice of some of the words you hear on this series. This is a family friendly forum.

My apologies to parents if their kids click on the links.

Bobbe has great info and the visual demonstrations are sweet.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up! I'll give them a listen to see if anything is out of line.

Gee...what a terrible way of spending the early morning hours, watching some silat vids...LMAO!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bobbe has a great reputation with some friends of mine.
icon14.gif

ksmaguro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
shhhh....he was just here in Des Moines and I got him drunk....
Jay

Bobbe

White Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I made it back! Thanks everybody for your kind words, they are greatly appreciated. I posted another article here as well.

Hawke, I forgive you for blowing my name all to hell and back. It's only spelled out on my blog, website, youtube site, the local police station, 50 million other places...!

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hehehe.

Thanks for understanding. I just remember one particular rant about people that kept misspelling your name, then I had a brain fart and became one of those people.

I did send you those youtube clips of chicks doing a cover song of AC/DC's You Shook Me All Night Long (hehe I have an evil streak as well).

Glad you found your way back.

Cheers!

*hands you beer*

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Bobbe,

Since I'm back in your good graces when are those DVDs coming out?

*runs like the wind*

PS. Love your clips on YouTube

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
These are all very wing chun like , they are the same things E. Barry Perrino taught to the Dallas Cowboys and the Pittsburg Steelers and others in Pro Football,many years ago when Randy White and Too Tall were there.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I made it back! Thanks everybody for your kind words, they are greatly appreciated. I posted another article here as well.

Hawke, I forgive you for blowing my name all to hell and back. It's only spelled out on my blog, website, youtube site, the local police station, 50 million other places...!

Welcome back to the forum!! I've checked out some of your youtube clips...great stuff!!!

Mike

Bobbe

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, it's no surprise. Wing Chun is part of my martial makeup, as much as Pencak Silat, Kali, or any of the other arts I have seriously trained. If you look for the principle behind the technique (something I try to stress in every video) and not a comparison per se, you'll see that the majority of Martial systems share much more in commonality than they do in contrasts. If you were to define my art in broad strokes, you could say it's Wing Chun without body structure, It's Silat with an abundance of sensitivity and centerline use, it's Kali with close-quarter techniques, it's sloppy Pa Kua, it's flowery Kuntao, etc. I've heard dozens of labels, and I think that a person who is skilled or knowledgeable in one or two particular arts will see the nuances of THAT art in what I do. Therefore, a Kuntao guy will say something like "It's mostly Kuntao, with some Silat". A Silat guy will say the exact opposite. You gravitate towards what you find familiar in the movements, something that looks similar to what you do.

I don't see it like that, at least not anymore. I see Martial Arts the same way I see aromatic spices: I'll use what I need depending on what I'm cooking. I know what I'm doing with my Cumin, Coriander, Saffron, Turmeric, Sambal, fennugreek, etc. I know which ones to mix in what order to achieve a certain outcome. So this is my art: I know my uses for Chi Sao, Sapu, Centerline training, Suliwa, Jointlocks, chokes, body english. I am intimately familiar with the advantages and limitations of each technique, I know where it will succeed and where it will fall down. I know how to mix and match them to achieve the results I'm looking for in combat.

A good analogy I once heard (and promptly hijacked) was: "Master each instrument individually, and you will automatically know how to play them in concert." I see Martial Arts this way as well.

Using the above cooking reference, I wouldn't be a very good curry chef if I subscribed to something like "I am strictly a Cumin and Lime man" or "I only use coconut milk in my curry". These ingredients are fine, as they stand, but they are not the-all, end-all of curry. Or cooking, for that matter, and it's a very poor chef who allows himself to become so tunnel visioned. So when I hear people say "I am strictly a Wing Chun man", I tend to think "your curry is only going to have one flavor." Not a bad thing unto itself, but it supposes a mind that cannot think beyond a certain range. You can find people who will come to a point in their training where they are confronted with a choice between critical thinking and following the gravy train, and the first thing you hear from them is "Baaa".

It's not difficult to achieve the kind of freedom I am promoting, by the way. We only say it is, and add unnecessary stress and hardship to a simplistic matter, because we think "that's how it's supposed to be done". We can just as easily say, "I am a complex individual with an advanced capacity for communication and comprehension. I can judge what is sensible and what is not."

Of course, I have to warn you: If you do that, well...

...It gets pretty lonely on this island!

Bobbe

White Belt
Reaction score
Uh-huh. yep. Definitely went off on a rant there...

Apologies. No offense was meant. Sorry, sorry.

Bobbe

White Belt
Reaction score
Hawke: The DVD's are indeed coming, but I want to finish my book first. I noticed Mike Casto published one recently, and I was thinking I probably have more than enough material for a good book if I combine the three I'm working on that are martial arts related (Understanding Pencak Silat, Understanding The Filipino Martial Arts, and Teaching the Archipelago Arts). In fact, given the time it takes to make photos of the techniques, I'd say I could have that puppy in the pound by August or so, after editorial work. So the DVD's would come after that.

Latest Discussions