Bruce Lee & Silat Serak

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This past weekend at the Ring Of Fire banquet, there were 2 guys sitting at my table having a lengthy and rather interesting discussion on the history of Silat Serak. Now it's common knowledge that Bruce Lee "checked out" different forms of Pentjak Silat in his later years, and of course this led him to advise Guru Dan Inosanto to further study it. Lee considered Silat an excellent form of fighting due to it's direct agressive applications.
One of the comments that I caught which interested me, was when one of the guys stated that Bruce Lee studied Silat Serak under Willem Reeders. I wasn't aware of this and was wondering if anyone else had some information regarding Lee's training with Reeders. Thanks in advance. :asian:

Franco

SilatFan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Several years ago I had an opportunity to read a copy of a letter from Lee to Guru Reeders. From what I recall it was mostly a thank you letter from Lee for Reeders allowing him to come to his home and train. While I vividly remember learning that Reeders Taught Lee some form of Silat, as opposed to Kuntao which he is now remembered for, I do not remember whether it was Serak or not. I would believe that Reeders may have taught Lee aspects from more than one of the many systems that he knew. There is also a theory put forth by many of the different branches of that art that the old series “Kung Fu” with David Caradine was based on Reeders own life and that of his uncle’s. It’s well understood that the concept of that show actually came from Lee and believed that he derived its premise again from his time with Reeders. Good luck trying to find out from what is left of that lineage. Most, but definitely not all, seem to be more interested in self promotion or tarnishing the names of their peers. It’s been the biggest turn off for me in my attempts to learn and research that system. Hope all of this rambling is of some use.

peace

OP
Franc0

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
SilatFan said:
Several years ago I had an opportunity to read a copy of a letter from Lee to Guru Reeders. From what I recall it was mostly a thank you letter from Lee for Reeders allowing him to come to his home and train. While I vividly remember learning that Reeders Taught Lee some form of Silat, as opposed to Kuntao which he is now remembered for, I do not remember whether it was Serak or not. I would believe that Reeders may have taught Lee aspects from more than one of the many systems that he knew. There is also a theory put forth by many of the different branches of that art that the old series “Kung Fu” with David Caradine was based on Reeders own life and that of his uncle’s. It’s well understood that the concept of that show actually came from Lee and believed that he derived its premise again from his time with Reeders. Good luck trying to find out from what is left of that lineage. Most, but definitely not all, seem to be more interested in self promotion or tarnishing the names of their peers. It’s been the biggest turn off for me in my attempts to learn and research that system. Hope all of this rambling is of some use.

peace

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Franco

Latest Discussions