Why should martial artists stand? - From KaiMen

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In short, most martial arts stuff is so the teacher can micro-manage basics, which causes a whole slew of problems for the student, but other than the fact that it might be a good idea to solidify some basics before operating at full speed, there is no damn good reason to stand or use a counter-balance as a base. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why should martial artists stand?

You stand like this,

so you can do this.

od0u.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I stood like this

DGY%20santi_jpg.jpg

and this

350_CZL09_Nashville_-_2.JPG

Until I started to think it was better to be able to move and maintain proper structure than to continually stand in it and become double weighted

Still, it is a good basic training, just not to be over done IMHO

colemcm

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My Sifu once mentioned to me that standing practice was as much for the development of the student's leg strength and root as it was to give the teacher a chance to watch the quality and demeanor of his prospective student. Since instructors were held accountable for their student's actions, this gave them a good opportunity to see what kind of person the student was.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This article from Ellis Amdur has some thoughts on the subject:

Why is standing still so valuable? If you move, you take the stress off the nervous system and the body, and simply continue to compensate in a way that you are used to. But if you practice “not-moving” long enough, the brain gets the information that it is going to have to deal with the fact that this body will stay in this position, like it or not. The result is that the brain begins to reorganize to make the posture less stressful, and hence begins to enervate the muscles differently to aid in maximum efficiency. Almost all so-called internal arts either practice include standing practice, or use simple repetitive movements, through which one achieves similar results, in essence achieving “immobility within motion.”

Latest Discussions