Why one in five Americans cannot find USA on map.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, that was painful to watch. 20 years ago I could have overlooked the lack of brains for an abundance of boobs, but at this point in my life... nope. I would have to ask if it was an act, or she was really that numb.
Or at least say to them, "I have to numb ya first.":uhyeah:
Sean

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If parents do not home school, and private schooling is not an option, I would encourage you to do what we do - go over your kids' tests and homework with them regularly. Take some real time with them. When they have trouble, instead of giving them an answer, we teach them how to reason it out or how to look it up. Make sure they know how to think and problem solve, make sure they know why a given answer is the right one. Spend some time showing them background and context that the PC text book leaves out.

You learn other things, too. Once while doing this I learned 2 other girls were giving my daughter a hard time. She said she, " could mop the floor with them.", but I said there was a better way. I complained directly to the head princepal - I was concerned that the bullies could come back with 4 next time.... and I was trying to avoid my karate champion daughter sending one or more to the ER.... the school stopped the bullies in a hurry, and my daughter learned some lessons never covered in text books.

This is what we were discussing in another recent thread. We need to take individual responsibility.

This is very true - especially the parts I have bolded. As a teacher, I can tell very quickly whose parents are paying attention at home; kids who have parent(s) who pay attention to their kids and let their kids know that education is important are, in general (there are exceptions to everything) quieter, more attentive, better behaved, more likely to have their supplies and homework, and have better social skills. They are more likely to read and/or be read to at home (a key factor in reading ability), have better vocabularies (another key factor in reading ability), have more experience with applications of math (ex., kids who cook are usually better at fractions, from learning to use measuring cups), are more likely to do their homework, and are more responsible in general regarding school tasks.

I say the above as I sit at the middle school where I teach on Back-to-School night, which started at 4:00 (it's 5:30 now) and goes until 6:30... and I have yet to see a single parent.

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is very true - especially the parts I have bolded. As a teacher, I can tell very quickly whose parents are paying attention at home; kids who have parent(s) who pay attention to their kids and let their kids know that education is important are, in general (there are exceptions to everything) quieter, more attentive, better behaved, more likely to have their supplies and homework, and have better social skills. They are more likely to read and/or be read to at home (a key factor in reading ability), have better vocabularies (another key factor in reading ability), have more experience with applications of math (ex., kids who cook are usually better at fractions, from learning to use measuring cups), are more likely to do their homework, and are more responsible in general regarding school tasks.

Yes. The schools and the teachers can only do so much. If the parents will not take part in what their kids do, then no matter how much you spend in terms of time and money, you just can't get the same results.

And today there seems to be more and more parents that just don't care about what their kids do. They rely 100 percent on the schools. If their kids can't read, or get into trouble, they will not take responsibility and instead blame the schools.

More folks might be able to find their country on the map if their parents took away the PSPs they got them (to shut them up) read to them as toddlers and took the time to care about how their kids will learn. But it just seems to me that year after year the number of people I know who have kids and take time with them seem to decline.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I say the above as I sit at the middle school where I teach on Back-to-School night, which started at 4:00 (it's 5:30 now) and goes until 6:30... and I have yet to see a single parent.

Shame on them! I cannot even comprehend NOT going to see, and talk, to the Ruffians new teachers at the start of the year. Shoot I usually set up a meeting a week or so after the new school year begins. Just to see if there is any question they have about my boys and to touch base with them and let the teacher know I will help in anyway that is needed.

We also are parents that go over the kids homework and notes every night. The boys know, as soon as they get off the bus and come in the house, Mom or Dad is right there to go through their backpacks and get them set-up with their homework. I know I always liked it when that happened to me (even though I bitched about it loud and long!) :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good man, Bydand. If more parents took that approach maybe society wouldn't be in quite the mess it is at present.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes. The schools and the teachers can only do so much. If the parents will not take part in what their kids do, then no matter how much you spend in terms of time and money, you just can't get the same results.

And today there seems to be more and more parents that just don't care about what their kids do. They rely 100 percent on the schools. If their kids can't read, or get into trouble, they will not take responsibility and instead blame the schools.

More folks might be able to find their country on the map if their parents took away the PSPs they got them (to shut them up) read to them as toddlers and took the time to care about how their kids will learn. But it just seems to me that year after year the number of people I know who have kids and take time with them seem to decline.

Shame on them! I cannot even comprehend NOT going to see, and talk, to the Ruffians new teachers at the start of the year. Shoot I usually set up a meeting a week or so after the new school year begins. Just to see if there is any question they have about my boys and to touch base with them and let the teacher know I will help in anyway that is needed.

We also are parents that go over the kids homework and notes every night. The boys know, as soon as they get off the bus and come in the house, Mom or Dad is right there to go through their backpacks and get them set-up with their homework. I know I always liked it when that happened to me (even though I bitched about it loud and long!) :)

Good man, Bydand. If more parents took that approach maybe society wouldn't be in quite the mess it is at present.

You are, all 3 of you, correct. By the time I left at 6:15, I had seen 3 parents, all of whom showed up after 6:00 pm... out of a possible 30 or so; as a special education teacher, I work more closely, but with fewer students, than most teachers... but only those 3 showed up, unless more showed up after I left to teach a TKD class; I share my classroom with another teacher, so she was going to tell me if anyone else showed up, but I doubt it; 3 is, quite sadly, more parents than I usually see for Back to School night.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You folks are way too critical. I think she answered the question very well...DEMONSTRATED it, actually.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a difference between uneducated and ineducable. I would wager she was surprised by the question. It may have been far different than the ones the other contestants heard. She certainly kept her poise under a lot of pressure, and that takes presence of mind. Given the fact that one question doesn't define her, and she's simply drop dead gorgeous, I'll bet we see her in the future, maybe as a weather person or something ;)

Latest Discussions