Why one in five Americans cannot find USA on map.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I even heard this on the radio today.

The contest winner had a much more interesting question. "Which do you like better of Lindsey Lohan, Nichole Richie, or Paris Hilton?"

man what.

How did we get to the point where our beauty queens are asked about Paris Hilton and put into Jay Leno skits like "point to America on a map"?? Used to be they had to sing about solving world hunger and play the piano for a cure for cancer.

Of course, the swimsuit competition has always been My favorite. Kids these days. HEY, GET OFF OF MY LAWN!

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So watching this beauty's brain fart on video I have a question to all you young "US American" Males:

Does it matter?

:lol:

If you had a chance for a dinner date with Miss South Carolina you would listen to her prattle ALL NIGHT LONG.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Poor thing she was like a politician on that question trying to find a way to fit in her South Africa and Iraq worldview into a question about why people in the US cannot find the United States on a map. Seriously she was not trying to answer the question but keep to her points of interest and unfortunately for her it failed.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you had a chance for a dinner date with Miss South Carolina you would listen to her prattle ALL NIGHT LONG.

I wouldn't. Talking to stupid people makes me a: get mad and point out how stupid they are or b: want to leave before I get mad and point out how stupid they are.

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No I wouldn't.

Been there, done that (in high school).... and will never do it again.

Some of us were hostages to our hormones. Now we tend to see that a person is really beutiful from the inside out, and not the other way around. To have someone you can relate to, who undersands obscure jokes and can follow conversations about things other than Paris Hilton or the latest TV show, that is a treasure worth spending time with.

And they are so precious due to their rarity. Intelligence is so rare in anyone these days that you need to go looking to find it. And the scary thing is, these people vote!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No I wouldn't.

Been there, done that (in high school).... and will never do it again.

Some of us were hostages to our hormones. Now we tend to see that a person is really beutiful from the inside out, and not the other way around. To have someone you can relate to, who undersands obscure jokes and can follow conversations about things other than Paris Hilton or the latest TV show, that is a treasure worth spending time with.

And they are so precious due to their rarity. Intelligence is so rare in anyone these days that you need to go looking to find it. And the scary thing is, these people vote!

How true Mr. E!
icon6.gif

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, that was painful to watch. 20 years ago I could have overlooked the lack of brains for an abundance of boobs, but at this point in my life... nope. I would have to ask if it was an act, or she was really that numb.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My wife used to be a frequent judge at beauty contests all over the state. She often asked me to help her come up with questions for the girls. You would think after being married to me all these years, she'd know better than to trust me not to toss in a few "interesting" questions. She always caught herself before she asked the entire question but my two favorite were "Are those real?" and "What is it about older men that you find so attractive."

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So watching this beauty's brain fart on video I have a question to all you young "US American" Males:

Does it matter?

:lol:

YEEEEEAAAAHHHH, I feel THAT much more dumb after watching that vid that there is NO way on EARTH that she would get a date with me! I would hate to ask her on a date, "What do you want in a guy?" Never make it home!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, that was painful to watch. 20 years ago I could have overlooked the lack of brains for an abundance of boobs, but at this point in my life... nope. I would have to ask if it was an act, or she was really that numb.
I agree completely. I'll take a bit of extra baggage and a personality over hot but stupid any day.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Saw on the news this morning that this "cry-baby" is now wanting the final judges decision re-evaluated and she wants to be asked the question again because she/they (?) flubbed the question.
Seems to me she's realized that she's seen how stupid she looked on TV and wants a recount.

Seeing this made me think that the announcement in a couple of years when she gets to be 19-20 is going to be somewhere along the line of "Coming to a Playboy issue nearest you!"...

Yeah she's gorgeous... but she isn't helping the cliche of dumb blonde. Pretty sad.

I couldn't last the evening with a gorgeous girl like that if she couldn't hold her end of an intelligent conversation. I mean pretty is nice but if there's nothing else to it... what's the point?

kalikg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My reply to her answer: Wow...such as...wow. I don't mean "wow" as in; "Wow, she's really hot!" I mean, "Wow; that's really unbelievable. Wow."
I'm sorry she put herself in that situation; I'm sure she is very embarassed by her stumble and wishes it had never happened.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Politics is here future I think.

Damn... that was painful...

But I suppose in her defence what would you say to a question like that when on stage and never even heard the stat before? "Because they are a bunch of ignorant twats."

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Politics is here future I think.

Damn... that was painful...

But I suppose in her defence what would you say to a question like that when on stage and never even heard the stat before? "Because they are a bunch of ignorant twats."

No kidding. I'll bet there are a great many people that are very glad that the perception of their intelligence isn't soley based on a single question, as a teenager, at a moment of high pressure.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pageant contestant re-answers question
1 hour, 10 minutes ago
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070828/ap_on_re_us/miss_teen_south_carolina
COLUMBIA, S.C. - This time, the question was a little easier for Miss Teen South Carolina. After being stumped by a Miss Teen USA pageant question on live television Friday night, Lauren Caitlin Upton's confused, mangled response has been drawing a lot of attention.
The 18-year-old got a chance to redeem herself Tuesday on NBC's "Today" show when she was again asked why one-fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a map.
"I would love to re-answer that question," Upton said. "Well personally, my friends and I, we know exactly where the United States is on our map. I don't know anyone else who doesn't. And if the statistics are correct, I believe there should be more emphasis on geography."
That was much better than her previous response, which included "U.S. Americans" and mentions of South Africa and "the Iraq."
A YouTube video of Upton has drawn a couple million hits and thousands of comments, many of them with harsh remarks for the Lexington High School graduate who plans to attend Appalachian State University in Boone, N.C.
Upton was taking her flubbed answer — and the attention — in stride.
Well, she's made an effort to show she smart not think as dumb is she... :idunno: She should've been paying attention to the question. As a contestant in a major pagent like that you don't get there without being in dozens of more like pagents i.e. the one that got her Miss Teen South Carolina in the first place and so on... experience would/should've kept her head cool enough to know how just as important to be LISTENING to the question as giving the best answer to the question whatever it may be.

I think she's just miffed because she lost. Hey, it's a mistake and you live with it... get over it. Do better for the adult title when you're old enough to be in it.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest Discussions