Why Nunchucks are not selling in certain states?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know about the constitution, right to bear arms, and I am not against gun ownership, are you telling me, the ordinary man with a gun licence cannot go to a gun shop, buy some ammo, and shoot some targets in or on his own land.
You’re kinda right, but you didn’t put it the right way I guess.

I can get a pistol permit in New York State. I can relatively freely buy rifles, shotguns, etc. Ammo too, obviously. I can go to designated places and shoot targets. Depending on local ordinances, people can shoot guns on their property in a way that doesn’t endanger others.

But I can’t legally buy nor possess nunchucku. Pretty messed up if you ask me. More like ridiculous.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know about the constitution, right to bear arms, and I am not against gun ownership, are you telling me, the ordinary man with a gun licence cannot go to a gun shop, buy some ammo, and shoot some targets in or on his own land.

Not necessarily, no. I own enough acreage that I can, but there are certainly laws that regulate where you're allowed to shoot.
And there are plenty of places in the US where you can buy and carry nunchaku.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You’re kinda right, but you didn’t put it the right way I guess.

I can get a pistol permit in New York State. I can relatively freely buy rifles, shotguns, etc. Ammo too, obviously. I can go to designated places and shoot targets. Depending on local ordinances, people can shoot guns on their property in a way that doesn’t endanger others.

But I can’t legally buy nor possess nunchucku. Pretty messed up if you ask me. More like ridiculous.
That's crazy

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's crazy
Logic and sanity doesn't apply. From a historic perspective, without trying to comment specifically on the politics, only tracking the politics and reasons... 'chucks were banned because of Bruce Lee. Essentially, the rise in popularity of asian martial arts, as epitomized by Bruce Lee and Shaw Bros-esque "Kung Fu" movies, heightened the public perception and fears of the nunchucks as "dangerous weapons." Well, law makers make laws and the needed to "do something." So many states and localities banned 'chucks. This didn't really have anything to do with documented incidents of violence with nunchucks, though there were a few isolated cases of gang members being caught with them, but was more about managing public fears.

I'll let the reader, privately, draw comparisons with other aspects of culture and the success of regulation thereon, in reference to actual statistical dangers.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just read today, a land mark judgement in new york, a judge strikes down this old law as unconstitutional after a 37 year battle.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just got this.
Four decades later, that formerly young man, James M Maloney, now 60, was in court battling New York’s ban on the weapon — and winning.

A federal judge struck the prohibition down, calling it unconstitutional. In her ruling, Judge Pamela K Chen, of US District Court for the Eastern District of New York, said nunchucks were protected under the Second Amendment, which guarantees the right to keep and bear arms.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Three cheers for Mr. Maloney!!!
It took a dedicated lawyer being charged, who fought back to change the law.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got this.
Four decades later, that formerly young man, James M Maloney, now 60, was in court battling New York’s ban on the weapon — and winning.

A federal judge struck the prohibition down, calling it unconstitutional. In her ruling, Judge Pamela K Chen, of US District Court for the Eastern District of New York, said nunchucks were protected under the Second Amendment, which guarantees the right to keep and bear arms.
If that ruling holds (it's counter to a lot of laws, and presumably some precedent), then there's likely to be a change in a lot of areas.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If that ruling holds (it's counter to a lot of laws, and presumably some precedent), then there's likely to be a change in a lot of areas.
I suspect it will hold because similar "stun gun" laws have been traveling the same path already and being struck down over and over. But it takes time.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If people have the money and energy to fight nonsensical laws that don’t really do much.

Honestly, what’s the point in fighting a nunchucku ban? Retailers aren’t going to lose a ton of money because of it. MAists aren’t going to care that much. People who want them definitely have them and aren’t afraid of prosecution. If a cop saw me carrying nunchucku, I doubt he’d care at all. The only way he’d care is if I was being an idiot and he’d tack that onto a list of charges. Kind of like a license plate light being out.

What’s next, reverse laws on blade length? Butterfly knives? They don’t care much about that either, so long as you’re not acting like a moron. Or you’re a kid who’s somewhere he shouldn’t be at a time he shouldn’t be there.

Cops have better things to do than enforce what they know are stupid laws. These laws are the ones they tack onto a list of charges; I don’t think any judge wants to waste his time trying nunchucku cases either, unless it’s part of a bigger and significant crime.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for stupidity going by the wayside and allowing people to do as they wish. I’m glad someone fought it and seems like they’re winning. I just question the amount of money and energy spent on something so trivial. Glad it was him, because I certainly don’t have the motivation.

It’s like people crossing the border with Cuban cigars. Customs doesn’t care as long as you’re not being an idiot and you’re not bringing cases of it in. Coming back from Mexico one time, I had half a dozen Cuban Upmanns and Romeo y Juliettas in my bag. Customs guy saw them and couldn’t be bothered. If I was acting like an idiot, he’d have confiscated them just to be a jerk. If I was committing a crime and they really wanted to press every charge they could because I was being an even bigger idiot, they’d tack that on too. And a judge would probably throw that and the other stupid charges out and go after what’s really important.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If people have the money and energy to fight nonsensical laws that don’t really do much.

Honestly, what’s the point in fighting a nunchucku ban? Retailers aren’t going to lose a ton of money because of it. MAists aren’t going to care that much. People who want them definitely have them and aren’t afraid of prosecution. If a cop saw me carrying nunchucku, I doubt he’d care at all. The only way he’d care is if I was being an idiot and he’d tack that onto a list of charges. Kind of like a license plate light being out.

What’s next, reverse laws on blade length? Butterfly knives? They don’t care much about that either, so long as you’re not acting like a moron. Or you’re a kid who’s somewhere he shouldn’t be at a time he shouldn’t be there.

Cops have better things to do than enforce what they know are stupid laws. These laws are the ones they tack onto a list of charges; I don’t think any judge wants to waste his time trying nunchucku cases either, unless it’s part of a bigger and significant crime.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for stupidity going by the wayside and allowing people to do as they wish. I’m glad someone fought it and seems like they’re winning. I just question the amount of money and energy spent on something so trivial. Glad it was him, because I certainly don’t have the motivation.

It’s like people crossing the border with Cuban cigars. Customs doesn’t care as long as you’re not being an idiot and you’re not bringing cases of it in. Coming back from Mexico one time, I had half a dozen Cuban Upmanns and Romeo y Juliettas in my bag. Customs guy saw them and couldn’t be bothered. If I was acting like an idiot, he’d have confiscated them just to be a jerk. If I was committing a crime and they really wanted to press every charge they could because I was being an even bigger idiot, they’d tack that on too. And a judge would probably throw that and the other stupid charges out and go after what’s really important.
If this ruling on 2nd Amendment grounds stands, then general prohibitions on collapsible batons would likely also be unconstitutional (currently, in many locations, I could get a permit to carry a gun, but can under no circumstances legally carry a baton). That'd be a significant change.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If this ruling on 2nd Amendment grounds stands, then general prohibitions on collapsible batons would likely also be unconstitutional (currently, in many locations, I could get a permit to carry a gun, but can under no circumstances legally carry a baton). That'd be a significant change.
I wonder what’ll happen to brass knuckles. I wouldn’t mind keeping those around in my car.

Latest Discussions