why ninjutsu?

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
why did everyone here choose ninjutsu as their art? what did ninjutsu have that made you say "this is what i want to do for the rest of my life"?

this question if for all who claim ninjutsu as their primary art. whether it be an "offshoot" or whatever.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hrm...in all honesty, it was almost by accident. I stopped training in Kenpo and wanted to continue martial arts training. I grew up in a small town with lilttle to offer beyond TKD and....well....TKD. While flipping through Black Belt Magazine, I saw and ad....so I ordered a few of Van Donk's videos and worked hard on ukemi and fundamentals. Then a satellite Dojo of Jeff Prather's set up in town.

S

Sacred

Whilst nearly all martial arts provide a tradition that enables a person to grow and develop in the physical, mental, spiritual, and psychological areas of their life, it's the interest and passion in the underlining philosophy and history that lead one to find their home within a given style.

I read the book "Mind of the Ninja" by Kirtland C. Paterson which gave me an insight to both the history and philosophies of the traditional ninja. I was inspired by it enough to take up the martial art, and have since become quite passionate about it.

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I began training in another style and was prompted to look into ninjutsu after seeing how passionate he was about the style he is in. After finding the right teacher and style of ninjutsu for me, I was hooked! No turning back!

Kurohana

White Belt
Reaction score
Read about SKH in Black Belt Magazine, went to the 2nd Annual Ninja Festival, met Hatsumi Sensei and that was all she wrote. I can't imagine NOT doing it. Before this I studied TKD, TSD, Aikido, Judo, dabbled in Shotokan, Isshinryu, White Crane Kung Fu, Pa Kua, boxing. I still play with Aikido on accasion, but I can't imagine not training in Ninjutsu.

OP
E

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i know i started this thread... but oh well.

for me... i was a child of the 80's and i watched all the ninja movies in the world with my older brothers. used to dress up and run around outside with the $2 platic sword strapped to my back. then i grew up and realized that is was all fake and ninjutsu didn't exist.

then when i decided to study ma i looked into all styles and i found ninjutsu as a legit art. imagine my suprise! it took awhile to find the right school. one that wouldn't turn me buddist (nothing wrong with buddism but not for me) or have me chanting (against my beliefs). and thats all she wrote! i became a student and never looked back.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Enson said:
why did everyone here choose ninjutsu as their art? what did ninjutsu have that made you say "this is what i want to do for the rest of my life"?

this question if for all who claim ninjutsu as their primary art. whether it be an "offshoot" or whatever.
I have never had the chance to learn Ninjitsu. If I could have the chance to learn any art I would pick Ninjitsu in a heart beat. I like it because it seems to be the most well rounded martial art. You learn weapons, hand to hand, astrology. Most martial arts focus on hand to hand, Ninjitsu does everything. They are into philosophy, which I love. Meditation is very interesting, which they also do. Me and my friend bought every steven k hayes book we could get our hands on and trained that way, that was our only means.
We did alot of backyard weapon training, just learning from each other. We got to the point where we were beating all the other niehborhood kids at weapon sparring with bokens and staffs. We had no formal training availible so we did what we could with the books.
I have practiced Goju-Ryu all my life but Ninjitsu has always been a huge interest because of all the other aspects of training. Your a lucky man Enson.

OP
E

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Your a lucky man Enson.
thanks. if you really want to learn you might want to look up some ninjustsu schools in your area. the x kan schools are kinda hard to find but there might be some there in your area. you might be able to find a rtms club in your area (if you want give headquarters a call and they might be able to help you find one). stephen k hayes is in dayton and he still teaches ninjutsu. if you can't make it to dayton you might find one of his quest centers in your area. just some options if you're really interested.

A

AnimEdge

Mine started through a frind in my Programing class, i allways wanted to be in MA but never really got around to it for whatever reason and he said he took ninjutsu at a local gym and so i switched gyms over to that one and started to take it, i like the art style becouse it seams to be more realistic to modern becouse you try to learn everything from weapons to hand to hand and its fun to learn the side stuff like rolls and other gymnastic stuff :p

G

Genin Andrew

AnimEdge,

What is the name of you're school? do you have a website?
Its just i've read a few of you're posts but havnt seen a name,just curious as to what your school is.
thanks.

much respect
-andrew

A

AnimEdge

Actually i am unsure what our name is the over all name is American Ninjutsu through P.P.C. Personal Protection Concepts whitch is a group of teachers who was taught at the RBWI Bussey stuff

There are like 4 schools in the area the one i am in is at a Gym called Utopia Fitness so we just generaly call it that im not sure of the offical name but ill find out soon it is located in Mansfield, Texas

The other school whitch is based in Arlington, Texas i dont know there offical name but there website is here:
http://www.american-ninjutsu.com/
They have very little information about anything so :p

I have been nearly given permission aka all that is needed is to gather the money for hosting and such to create the website for our area, well im not sure if it is just for our school or for PPC in general but i will be creating the website from for my school so as soon as the money and information is collected i will create one sence i do webdesign as a side hobby/job

So as soon as it comes in ill post the link to it :p

G

Genin Andrew

Good work, and well done to take on the responsibility of hosting your schools website! thats great. All the best in your training, hope to see the site in the future.

much respect
-andrew

A

AnimEdge

I know right? that brinds up a question what do you call some one who does Kempo pr TKD or Karate? like i di ninjutsu and im called a Ninja what woudl the be called? :p

G

Genin Andrew

Hmmmm i personally dont like using the term Ninja, just because i dont really see myself worthy yet,its an honourable thing to be a Ninja. I think for Karate or TKD people they would be called martial artists,warriors? semi-warriors?practitioners? or maybe its best not to attach a title to yourself. For the more sport based/competiton karate schools i would just call them karate kids or sportsmen or something...DEFINATELY not warriors...

much respect
-andrew

A

AnimEdge

I dont conceder anyone a ninja unless they have at lest a green belt whitch is the uh "secound" belt technicly but we dont count white its just consedered unranked :p becouse green i think show commentment to the art so i think thet is worthy of the name, but also Ninja is usally used in non serise term so if i went to some one and said Im a Ninja they would probly find it amusing and not me being serise(sp)

A

AaronLucia

Well..kinda interesting you said that. My instructor, who I believe is a 7th level black belt said that he doesn't even consider himself really a Ninja, but more a Ninja practitioner. I mean, who is really doing Ninja stuff to survive? Granted they may use the fighting art to defend themselves, but the stealth and other fun stuff aren't used too often in modern times.

I personally think you would be a 'Ninja' after attaining your Godan, or 5th level black belt.

sojobow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Actually, my passion is Jujitsu. Our Jujitsu class was growing quite well and the subject of why the constant growth came up. Answer, all new students were coming to jujitsu from DRN because "those people over in DRN are intirely too vicious, the art is just to hard to learn and the physical conditioning is just too hard. Those guys practice nothing but how to kill an attacker as fast as possible. Joined the next day.

A

AnimEdge

I think the highest we have is a 5 Dan they say not many go past 1 becouse of the 3 hour *** kicked sessions they have to go through for each one, the funny thing is our highest the 5 Dan is a girl who is increadbly good in our system or whatever suppsably she has to go to Japan to get any higher but i don know the spacifics

Latest Discussions