Why Kenpo?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have very little familiarity with other styles, so I may be off here in thinking that this is unique to kenpo. But here goes:

Kenpo seems like a language to me. One learns the basics, then learns the techniques, which are predefined orders of movement. As one learns more and more techniques, one sees that certain bits are reused and that the commonality is the position of one's body when that bit is used. Like an etymology of movement, and once it's understood it becomes available at the moment one finds oneself in that position.

So the sequence is: learn the alphabet (basics); learn to read existing words and sentences (techniques); and once you understand how they work together, you become conversant by using words and sentence you have arranged yourself, freeing yourself from rote technique.

So the answer to Why Kenpo? for me is that it is like a language or a puzzle. And I really like languages and puzzles.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I crossed over From San Soo, because it shortened my commute, and because it was the closest thing I could find to San Soo. But it also helped me refine my mind and be more analytical of the moves I was making.

Latest Discussions