Testing For Blue Belt Tonight

OnAQuest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm approaching having completed my first year in Kenpo (technically our school is a free-style martial arts that centers around Kenpo karate).

When I first joined, I did simply because I needed some cardio in my weightlifting routine and the idea of running like a hamster on a treadmill doesn't really get me excited if you know what I mean.

But over the last year I've really taken on a love for the discipline, and have been heading to sparring tournaments in the Mens Intermediate division hosted by AZMARRS, to which I've won the 3 events I've attended.

In my first year as a martial artist I've learned that my technique is still pretty sloppy, but the power is there and I'm definitely getting faster. But even though I criticize my technique I've noticed a big improvement from my days as a white and yellow belt. I have a pretty wicked defensive side kick!

Tonight I'll be testing and hopefully earning my Blue Belt, and then it will be another 4-5 months of self improvement in what I've found out to become one of my passions in life.

Thank God for the Martial Arts,

OnAQuest

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best of luck man! In testing don't be affraid to throttle down on your speed and concentrate more on form. In testing when doing kata/forms, techniques, drills, instructors prefer to see you performing with correct form over sloppy and really fast.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm approaching having completed my first year in Kenpo (technically our school is a free-style martial arts that centers around Kenpo karate).

When I first joined, I did simply because I needed some cardio in my weightlifting routine and the idea of running like a hamster on a treadmill doesn't really get me excited if you know what I mean.

But over the last year I've really taken on a love for the discipline, and have been heading to sparring tournaments in the Mens Intermediate division hosted by AZMARRS, to which I've won the 3 events I've attended.

In my first year as a martial artist I've learned that my technique is still pretty sloppy, but the power is there and I'm definitely getting faster. But even though I criticize my technique I've noticed a big improvement from my days as a white and yellow belt. I have a pretty wicked defensive side kick!

Tonight I'll be testing and hopefully earning my Blue Belt, and then it will be another 4-5 months of self improvement in what I've found out to become one of my passions in life.

Thank God for the Martial Arts,

OnAQuest

Hello,
What system of Kenpo is your school based on?
Best of luck on your continued journey. Please let us know how you do, OK?
Thanks,
Milt G.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How did the test go? Hope you're a blue belt now!

OP
OnAQuest

OnAQuest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey Carol, thanks but I test in about 1 hour from now. =) So I'll let you know in a few.

As to what exact system it is, I had better ask my instructor because shamefully I don't know. What I do know is we mix in a combination of:

1. Kenpo Karate
2. Chinese Boxing
3. Tae Kwon Do
4. Ju Jitsu (only the basics)

OnAQuest

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FANTASTIC!