Why is martial arts movies less popular today?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Things this thread as taught me.
- Martial Talk needs to a slang dictionary thread
- Old people are now the gamers from back in the day and probably still play video games, which is good.
- One of us watches way too many movies
- Old fight scenes are awesome and funny at the same time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is because people don't understand context anymore. Fighting doesn't have to be physical. No one gets up say when someone says that a person in the hospital is "Fighting for their lives." People use slang all the time, yet can't understand the context of how "Fight" is used. Now that's gaslighting. lol.

so you mean to tell me that kids will literally think you are telling them to "Fist Fight" lol. I'm pretty sure they understanding that words have more than one meaning. lol Crazy world

After watching that.... I don't want to understand.....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think confirmation bias is in play here. Maybe we can look for examples of modern, original movies. Some examples come to mind, but I'm sure there are many others:

An example of a modern, original, outstanding movie that defies common tropes: Banshees of Inishirin.
An example of a modern, original, outstanding war movie that defies common tropes: 1917
An example of a modern, original, outstanding Western movie that defies common tropes: Django Unchained.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After watching that.... I don't want to understand.....
ha ha ha.. that the other sign of being old lol.

I used to work with kids and teens in the past so I was introduced to their slang on a constant. I don't hear a lot of it, but from what I can tell, the majority of the slang that I used growing up is making a come back.

For example, "Bet" is not new to me. An it wasn't new when I first used it as a teen. There's stuff that he says that is like 40+ years old easily. Like the expression "You bet!" Some of the slang today is shorter versions slang that my parents used.

All you have to do is use slang that you used to use take a few words out and then you say it with confidence and everyone else will follow you lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think confirmation bias is in play here. Maybe we can look for examples of modern, original movies. Some examples come to mind, but I'm sure there are many others:

An example of a modern, original, outstanding movie that defies common tropes: Banshees of Inishirin.
An example of a modern, original, outstanding war movie that defies common tropes: 1917
An example of a modern, original, outstanding Western movie that defies common tropes: Django Unchained.
We still make original movies? lol.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
ha ha ha.. that the other sign of being old lol.

I used to work with kids and teens in the past so I was introduced to their slang on a constant. I don't hear a lot of it, but from what I can tell, the majority of the slang that I used growing up is making a come back.

For example, "Bet" is not new to me. An it wasn't new when I first used it as a teen. There's stuff that he says that is like 40+ years old easily. Like the expression "You bet!" Some of the slang today is shorter versions slang that my parents used.

All you have to do is use slang that you used to use take a few words out and then you say it with confidence and everyone else will follow you lol.

Never said I wasn't old...cause I am..... work long and hard to get this old, this cynical, and this grumpy.... I'm not going to let Gen-Z ruin it now.... I get even though... I use slang I got as a kid from my parents...... so they can't understand me either :D

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Never said I wasn't old...cause I am..... work long and hard to get this old, this cynical, and this grumpy.... I'm not going to let Gen-Z ruin it now.... I get even though... I use slang I got as a kid from my parents...... so they can't understand me either :D
ha ha ha.. awesome. just out of curiosity does the old slang get recycled? Do you hear younger people say things as if it was new, but you know that what they are saying is old slang?

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score

What bias did he have? So these are fighters just like matrix movie has fight scene but the story is sci fi not martial arts, ninja or martial cop movie.

Is it the fighting style or way hollywood shows fights now with shaky camera, really big close up shots, choreography camera shots panning very fast from one person to other both fighting.

Hollywood does not care if looks like legit fight move all they care about is some flashy movies. They just taking non martial artist and choreography to make look like he or she is martial artist.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I gather the definition he’s working on is something like this: Made prior to 1990. That’s the only thing he’s been consistent about.
At this point I’m 100% convinced that he’s just trolling and got us all good.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Omg I forgot about paper tigers. That was a great martial arts movie from 2020

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What bias did he have? So these are fighters just like matrix movie has fight scene but the story is sci fi not martial arts, ninja or martial cop movie.

Is it the fighting style or way hollywood shows fights now with shaky camera, really big close up shots, choreography camera shots panning very fast from one person to other both fighting.

Hollywood does not care if looks like legit fight move all they care about is some flashy movies. They just taking non martial artist and choreography to make look like he or she is martial artist.
If you only look for sequels and remakes that’s all you’ll find.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Let’s take this troll topic make it useful.
Let’s compile a list of martial arts movies made post 1999. Probably a focus on English language/American movies since I doubt OP was referring to modern foreign MA movies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Shanghai noon
Kung pow
Wendy wu
Fearless
Never back down
Equilibrium(?)
Kung fu hustle
Kill bill vol1
Kill bill vol2
Kill bill vol3
The matrix
Matrix 2
The matrix reloaded

Typed all this up and then found this

John wick series
Ip Man series
Shang Chi
The Raid and Raid 2
The Grandmaster
Man of Tai Chi

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Boxing, kickboxing, and MMA are all martial arts so you’re contradicting yourself…

And in past MMA fighters did try karate and kung fu. Now it is mostly combos of boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, wrestling, Judo in MMA that is mainstream with some fighters using Kenpo Karate and taekwondo in MMA just not the flashy taekwondo and Kenpo Karate that is more modified for MMA.

I think many videos on youtube of MMA or boxers on the street destroying karate or kung fu made these arts look less effective and the exotic feel of it is less real like now but sports like and getting in shape. And this sadly what lot people in the US think.

Now again it does not mean karate or kung fu can’t work or karate or kung fu can’t win a fight over boxer or MMA it just means MMA and boxing is more rough and bloody. So there is lot more conditioning going on and is more rough than the safe martial arts schools where you see kids and teens and with little sparring or point sparring hits than the rough sparring you see in boxing and MMA. Not to say the fighting competition that are rough.

When you look at street gangs, prisoners and thugs they look at boxing or MMA and mimic those fightings moves even with mad forums than older martial arts. And some one with no training or even only two days training giving hundreds of random punches in one second to some one with no fighting abilities and no conditioning where they never got into any fight ever or hit any time ever is just as bad.

And boxing is almost in the minds of US culture even if they never took any boxing classes and boxing forum are horrible where the boxing coach is shaking his head watching in shock the non training street gangs, prisoners and thug mimic boxing not older martial arts.

MMA is looked at bloody and rough not where you send your kids. And public sandy seems to buy into this image

GROMDA-5-The-bloodiest-and-most-brutal-barefoot-fight-at-740x430.jpg

And well MMA is sport not self defence class they rough and have lot of conditioning.

The older martial arts school can be just as rough or more but the schools allowing kids and teens, little sparring or point sparring hits, water down sports competition in name of making it way safer and not bloody like than MMA could be want is killing older martial arts and turning people away from it and look at comic fighters and superheroes being more exotic and believable.