Why is martial arts movies less popular today?

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The things you listed are, without exception, comic movies.

Robocop, blade and Terminator I guess are kinda of bit comic like.

And well some zombie movies and vampire movies could come from comic it kinds has horror theme to it.

I believe the walking dead came from comic just not marvel.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I do watch movies and TV shows other than just martial arts, ninja, martial arts cop, cop, but horror, spy, suspense and space.

Just not big into comic movies.

But I will watch blade, robocop, terminator and zombie movies and vampire movies.

I will look at x-files and fringe tv show.

I just don’t have much connection to actors today like in past. I mostly just look for story of movie or TV show.

Last of Us is amazing. Some of the best TV storytelling I've ever seen. And it has zombies.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If a writer comes up with an original idea, really original, you could throw the damn script out the window on the 405 and somebody will find it.

The reason "original" scripts are so difficult to come up with is there are only so many types of stories. And these days, as opposed to say fifty years ago, there's so many outlets it blows the mind. Heck, the Hallmark channel makes as many movies a year as Hollywood did twenty years ago. And this is a great thing.

I think he said the only way for martial arts movies or ninja movies to make come back is by indie movies that all studios are chasing big blockbuster movies today. That if indie movie makes martial arts movies or ninja movies that if people go crazy and watch it than big studios may start to look into it.

But if people view martial arts as fake now but only to get in shape or for sports than even indie movies making martial arts movies or ninja movies will not make come back.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
They have made spin offs within their own franchises - Picard, Discovery (🤮), Strange New Worlds to name a few…and that series of film with that gold robot. Then there are direct copies such as The Orville, spoof films like Galaxy Quest. Can you see what’s happening…?

No I mean spin off like the TV show Babylon similar to star trek deep space nine or the TV show the The Expanse or firefly but just lot of aliens and worlds. The stargate TV show that is other space show.

You just do not get studios working on things like the Expanse or firefly or lost in space being space show too similar to star wars or star trek.

Well most seem too scared to make it sorta of way too star trek or star wars like thinking it may not do well. The TV shows or movies that get into space genre seem to go with different theme than star wars or star trek.

This why also don’t have movies similar to predator or Aliens using different alien or predator.

When comes to cop movies that is a different thing go find that robber, killer, arms dealer so on.

You don’t see some studio making show calling it I don’t know star gase going from planet to planet meeting aliens and forming allies and fighting space wars. If it is too similar to star wars or star trek studios just don’t want to go there.

Even star trek does not like introducing too many main Aliens so you get lot of Ferengi, Klingon, Vulcan, cardassian, Borg over and over afraid it may not do well.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No I mean spin off like the TV show Babylon similar to star trek deep space nine or the TV show the The Expanse or firefly but just lot of aliens and worlds. The stargate TV show that is other space show.

You just do not get studios working on things like the Expanse or firefly or lost in space being space show too similar to star wars or star trek.

Well most seem too scared to make it sorta of way too star trek or star wars like thinking it may not do well. The TV shows or movies that get into space genre seem to go with different theme than star wars or star trek.

This why also don’t have movies similar to predator or Aliens using different alien or predator.

When comes to cop movies that is a different thing go find that robber, killer, arms dealer so on.

You don’t see some studio making show calling it I don’t know star gase going from planet to planet meeting aliens and forming allies and fighting space wars. If it is too similar to star wars or star trek studios just don’t want to go there.

Even star trek does not like introducing too many main Aliens so you get lot of Ferengi, Klingon, Vulcan, cardassian, Borg over and over afraid it may not do well.
Just to sum up. on one hand, no one is making anything original. On the other hand, no one is making things similar to what has already been made decades ago. Is that about right? You are looking for something that is both original and unoriginal at the same time. Shouldn’t be hard.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
They lack originality, or rather the guts to back original ideas. There are too many rehashed superhero films and remakes of classics (I hear they’re redoing ‘Ghost’ 🙄). My friend is a film maker and she says seeking funding for anything even vaguely original (or ‘untested’ as the major studios call it) is virtually impossible and subsequently, screen writers merely craft variations of films that have been profitable. She’s looking to make a martial arts ‘Black Swan’ (I’m being deliberately vague) but for the above reasons, is going to Japan to pitch it.

It’s a business and profit is the central motivation rather than artistic merit. Sometimes the two do overlap but I can understand their reluctance to make potential commercial flops and instead have adopted the mantra ‘Give ‘em what they [think they] want!’ (people in tights flying and lifting heavy hammers etc).
By lack of originally you mean taking a plot from a movie or TV and changing it a bit so not to copy.

Say some example studio is making TV show and they call it star drift and there is 4 alien races that look different and different abilities than the 4 main alien races in star trek. They go to other planets and meet aliens and form allies and fight in space wars. And go by wormhole travel than warp drive.

Or the TV show that say they call it XB similar to Dredd in ghetto future of a world with overcrowding and extreme poverty and crime with 200 story big thick apartment run by street gangs. And elite police force have to go in and clean up the gangs in the apartment because it is way too dangerous for the basic police force that is all but obsolete now.

You mean this what studios are afraid to do is afraid to make TV show or movie similar that they are too afraid it may not do well.

Last edited:
OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just to sum up. on one hand, no one is making anything original. On the other hand, no one is making things similar to what has already been made decades ago. Is that about right? You are looking for something that is both original and unoriginal at the same time. Shouldn’t be hard.

May be I’m not understanding here what the word original means here or similar means.

As my understanding making movies similar to Dredd, blade runner, waterworld, doom, Total Recall, mad max, aliens and predator so on than no, Hollywood does not seem to be doing that for the only thing is I see is afraid it may not do well at box office.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think the point being made us that everything being made today sucks, and that everyone should get off our lawn.

Being of a certain age, I am not entirely unsympathetic (to both points), but there are some good shows on cable and streaming these days.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Other thing there lots of ideas in comic movies I just was showing you plot of spider man movie just change the plot bit and add stuff and use martial arts fighter.

Main plot themes are very simple and some them lame but it story fighter going after mad guy that more important than main plot.
———————
plot 1

Peter is bullied at school by the other teenagers.

Peter uses his powers to fight the bully Flash Thompson and beats him up

lame plot
———————
plot 2

The criminal then steals Ben's car and shoots Ben. Peter returns to find Ben shot

Peter angrily sets off to capture the killer.

———————
plot 3

Meanwhile, Harry's father Norman Osborn is in trouble. Norman is the CEO (or head) of his own company name Oscorp. Oscorp does science studies and is working on

Norman is ready to test the formula on humans, but his fellow scientists say the formula is still too dangerous.

Go after evil company
———————
plot 4

rescues his friend Harry Osborn

Simple plot
———————
plot 5

The loss of his wife makes him go crazy. The arms start forcing him to build the machine again to get revenge

———————

plot 6

comes across Toomes' associates Jackson Brice / Shocker and Herman Schultz selling weapons to local criminal

———————
plot 7
try to flee aboard a private jet that is hijacked

———————

These are simple plots want is more important is crime fighter say XB using is martial arts skill going after the bad guy and filling in the story to tie it to main plot theme.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So you are going to give me a definition of a slang terms after it has been added to a dictionary many decades after the black community has been using it since the 1930's?

Here it is used in the song "Scottsboro Boys." At the end 4:29 he says "Stay Woke" "Keep your eyes open."

If you read the lyrics it talks about being aware that you are being taken advantage of. https://genius.com/Lead-belly-scottsboro-boys-lyrics

Racism - takes advantage of another's race or genetic make up
Sexism - takes advantage of another's sex
Gerrymandering - takes advantage of another's political interest.
Adultery - takes advantage of another's marriage
Education - takes advantage of another's ignorance (which is why education is so important)
Pot Stirrers - take advantage of another's emotions (if someone listens to hate speach all day, then they are probably being taken advantage of.)
Doctors - take advantage of another's illness (not all doctors or good doctors).

In order to be "woke" you must first realize that you are being taken advantage of. Political affiliation and race have nothing to do with it. Once you realize that you have been taken advantage of, then you can say that you woke. because you are woke it will make it more difficult for people to take advantage of you.

Another song that talks about being "Woke" is the song called "The Blinding of Isaac Woodard"

The last lyrics
"When I woke up next morning, I found my eyes were
blind.
They drug me to the courtroom, and I could not see the
judge;
He fined me fifty dollars for raising all the fuss;
The doctor finally got there but it took him two whole
days;
He handed me some drops and salve and told me to treat
myself.
It's now you've heard my story, there's one thing I can't
see,
How you could treat a human like they have treated me;
I thought I fought on the islands to get rid of their kind;
But I can see the fight lots plainer now that I am blind"

So how can he "see the fight lots plainer now that I'm blind" ummm "Woke" He's now aware of the truth of how he is seen.

Here's another use of "Woke" from Spike Lee. In this movie "School Daze" You think it's a White vs Black issue? nope. It's a movie about what black people were doing to each other. It's not about racism. It's about being taken advantage of. In this scene the character screams "Wake up" Everyone wakes up and stands outside "they are woke." This movie covers a lot of social issues happening in the black community back then and even recently. Lots of people getting taking advantage of here.

Spike Lee talks about why he made the movie.

Another reference to being "Woke" He talks about Wake up, Wake up. so people will be "woke" and see the truth about things. so that they can't be take advantage of. It doesn't have to be about RACE or Injustice. The only requirement is that someone is being taken advantage of.

If you have ever heard the phrase "People better wake up" then what are they referring to? What happens when people wake up? "They are "Woke" or "Awake" But on the real. People better wake up about what "woke" really means.

People who use slang can tell when other people are clueless about slang. Because they use the words like they are unsure if they can say. Then when they finally do, they get it all wrong. People who use slang also know who your social circles are just by how you use the slang. Now hopefully everyone who read this that didn't know. Now knows and is "woke" Don't let let anyone take advantage of you "Stay woke"

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep that is want I said before the culture has changed where most people look at martial arts as just getting into shape than self defence or fighting.

Where people view superman, batman, spiderman or some other comic fighter as magic fighter with super fighting abilities.

So what could be happening is among lot of people is they see fighting like in movies and they don’t go and say look he is a good martial artist fighter they say look he has some kind of special fighting abilities.

And part this is US culture is really big into guns, boxing, kickboxing and MMA than martial arts.

When people look at self defence or fighting the primary weapon is guns and technology. And secondary is fighting by the last and no other option.

I think want may be happening is a lot of people view martial arts as not believable but mystic comic fighter as more believable.

And Chuck Norris or Steven Seagul going into old factory or old warehouse going after gangs seem less believable among lot of people.Where they view mystic conic fighter as more believable.
Boxing, kickboxing, and MMA are all martial arts so you’re contradicting yourself…

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Guys moonhill must be a troll.
He claimed there aren’t any war movies being made any more these days, and that’s flat out wrong.

Northern Limit Line was one of my favorite movies that Netflix has ever had.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you like your superheroes and martial arts. A youtube series bat in the sun is quite good.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Boxing, kickboxing, and MMA are all martial arts so you’re contradicting yourself…
An imprecise definition of terms (e.g. definition of "martial arts movies") causes problems, eh? Maybe moonhill is defining them narrowly, in terms of dojos and honour and Kung Fu. Trad stuff.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some might say that Tarantino's "Kill Bill" is the best MA movie of all time. Being a big QT fan I must agree.

Plus, His Bruce Lee scene in “Hollywood” is hilarious.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
An imprecise definition of terms (e.g. definition of "martial arts movies") causes problems, eh? Maybe moonhill is defining them narrowly, in terms of dojos and honour and Kung Fu. Trad stuff.
I gather the definition he’s working on is something like this: Made prior to 1990. That’s the only thing he’s been consistent about.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm of the belief that he has two superpowers, which may be some implant that he gave himself and never gets mentioned in a comic. Enhanced reflexes, and enhanced healing. That's the only way to explain how he is able to recover from wounds that really should kill or paralyze him in a manner of days, and his ability to dodge bullets which comes up (rarely nowadays). Both of which would also have helped him become a better martial artist-enhanced healing would be pretty similar to steroid use for training purposes, and enhanced reflexes is something any martial artist could benefit from.
Perhaps he's a DC-universe mutant?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My film maker friend says that horror films tend to be the most likely to make a profi!

I generally find modern films so disappointing that I have to be really motivated to make the time to watch one and generally do so in short segments separated by doing chores, making cups of tea and sandwiches etc! 😄 It’s rare for me to sit through a film in one sitting.
Same. I think it's mostly changes in me, in my case. My attention span isn't at all what it once was. My ADHD often comes a-callin' when I try to watch an entire movie. And I want/expect different things than I used to. Many of the movies I enjoyed in the first half of my life seem thin now.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
🤷🏾 I don’t understand any of it!
ha ha ha sometimes the people who govern make things more complicated than what it really is. Doom and Gloom vote for me. Or things are to complicated vote for me. When one of those guys tried to explain Furries as people who dress up as animals and try to use the bathroom in the corner of rooms like a dog. I came to the conclusion that their lives must be so simple that they have to create complications that don't exist. But what I really want to know is "Dude, what part of the Internet to you spend your time on" ha ha ha. Someone give this man a "Net Nanny" lol

But seriously the world isn't as complicated people just make it that way. We have birth, death, illness and everything else is just human complications.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Using the word “fight” at my grandkids soccer/baseball games gets you some dirty looks these days. Just two weeks ago at my gs’s game I said “c’mon guys fight hard”. A couple mothers quickly looked a me with grimacing faces. My son in law was quick to say “dad you can’t say that anymore”.
This is because people don't understand context anymore. Fighting doesn't have to be physical. No one gets up say when someone says that a person in the hospital is "Fighting for their lives." People use slang all the time, yet can't understand the context of how "Fight" is used. Now that's gaslighting. lol.

so you mean to tell me that kids will literally think you are telling them to "Fist Fight" lol. I'm pretty sure they understanding that words have more than one meaning. lol Crazy world

Latest Discussions