Why is martial arts movies less popular today?

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score

In the 70s, 80s and 90s martial arts movies and martial arts cop movies where popular you had strong tough martial arts cop.

Yes like Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, Steven Seagull, Bruce Lee, Tony Jaa, Jean Claude Van Damme, Bolo Yeung, Sammo Hung, Gordon Liu so on.

Well Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone are not really martial arts they took on more tough strong cop role.

Now it seems martial arts movies and martial arts cop movies and tough strong cop movies are less popular. Today seems detective cop shows and comic movies is where rage is today.

The car chases, shoot outs with mad guy and fighting the mad guy is less popular it more about detective cop shows and comic movies.

If you are looking for action and fighting it is comic movies now. Where martial arts movies and martial arts cop movies seem less popular.

There else no young actors in the US to take on role of aging Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, Steven Seagull or dead Bruce Lee or even not really martial arts but just tough strong role like Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone.

The ninja movies are even less popular it seems like in past like The Domination, Enter the Ninja, 1983’s Revenge of the Ninja, American Ninja so on.

So what is going on in the US?

Scotsman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

In the 70s, 80s and 90s martial arts movies and martial arts cop movies where popular you had strong tough martial arts cop.

Yes like Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, Steven Seagull, Bruce Lee, Tony Jaa, Jean Claude Van Damme, Bolo Yeung, Sammo Hung, Gordon Liu so on.

Well Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone are not really martial arts they took on more tough strong cop role.

Now it seems martial arts movies and martial arts cop movies and tough strong cop movies are less popular. Today seems detective cop shows and comic movies is where rage is today.

The car chases, shoot outs with mad guy and fighting the mad guy is less popular it more about detective cop shows and comic movies.

If you are looking for action and fighting it is comic movies now. Where martial arts movies and martial arts cop movies seem less popular.

There else no young actors in the US to take on role of aging Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, Steven Seagull or dead Bruce Lee or even not really martial arts but just tough strong role like Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone.

The ninja movies are even less popular it seems like in past like The Domination, Enter the Ninja, 1983’s Revenge of the Ninja, American Ninja so on.

So what is going on in the US?
without getting myself into trouble here....haha
people , mostly young men in days gone by looked for manly heroes. Kung Fu Bruce Lee or the American Hero chuck Norris.
the "Woke" Generation now ...mostly wear their sisters underwear & make up :confused:

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
without getting myself into trouble here....haha
people , mostly young men in days gone by looked for manly heroes. Kung Fu Bruce Lee or the American Hero chuck Norris.
the "Woke" Generation now ...mostly wear their sisters underwear & make up :confused:
The "Woke" Generation is the problem?

Sure. Whatever you say.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Partly due to the genre being a bit played out and partly due to all movies being required to suck now in order to push various inversions of the natural order and various sexual perversions on behalf of the Satanic elite.
Against my better judgement I will ask: what is the natural order, what sexual perversions are you referring to., and who is the satanic elite and what exactly do you mean by that?

I am genuinely curious to understand your answer.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Against my better judgement I will ask: what is the natural order, what sexual perversions are you referring to., and who is the satanic elite and what exactly do you mean by that?

I am genuinely curious to understand your answer.
I, for one, welcome our new Satanic Elite overlords. They have better music, I hear.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I won’t use the word “Woke” because this isn’t a political forum.
Here is just one example:
Using the word “fight” at my grandkids soccer/baseball games gets you some dirty looks these days. Just two weeks ago at my gs’s game I said “c’mon guys fight hard”. A couple mothers quickly looked a me with grimacing faces. My son in law was quick to say “dad you can’t say that anymore”.

There is a LOT more to say here, but I don’t want to cross the political boundaries of this forum.

Watch Sommers YouTube vid “war on boys” for a bit of insight.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Reminder to all-Politics are not allowed to be discussed on this forum. Please try to keep conversations on topic to avoid the thread being locked and/or warnings/points being issued.

Thank you.

Scotsman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How do you define “masculine males”?
chucknorris.jpeg.jpg

Scotsman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Care to put that into words? Surely you don’t mean that a “Masculine Man” carrys a pair of uzis and shoots everyone in sight.
stop trying to make a big deal out of a picture of Chuck Norris.

Seriously, Chuck Norris doesn’t mean much to me, neither the man nor the characters he has played.
well please tell us your ideas about why such male idols are not so relevant...i´m all ears

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think its a few things. I don't think politics is one of them. Because you can have a woman or a person of color as the next martial arts hero, whether or not the movie is "woke" is irrelevant to whether or not it's a martial arts movie.

First, you don't need to be a martial artist to do martial arts in movies anymore. Look at The Matrix movies. Keanu Reeves, Lawrence Fishbourne, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Hugo Weaving are not martial artists. (Keanu Reeves is now, but he really wasn't then). They trained for an extensive amount of time to be able to do those moves.

That's actually a good example, because they did train extensively for the movie. Most movies just have the actors learn a few moves, and then use a combination of shaky cam and quick cuts to make it look good. Lots of movies these days have continuity errors in the fight scenes because of how chopped up, re-shot, and heavily edited they are.

It used to be that in order to put martial arts in a movie, you took martial artists and put them in the movie. But there are more and more tricks to make people look like martial artists when they really don't know what they're doing. Especially in a big-budget movie.

That's the second thing. Budget. There are no mid-budget movies anymore. Movie studios only really produce two types of movies: mega blockbusters, and cheap indy films. They only market the blockbusters. A martial arts movie is going to have to be an indy film, and then it's not going to get the same distribution as a blockbuster.

Captain America does a lot of martial arts in his movies. Chris Evans isn't really thought of as a martial artist. He's an actor. He's in great shape. He's done action movies. But he's thought of as an actor first and foremost. I don't know how much of a martial artist he is. He trained in several to prepare for his role. But did he train beyond what he needed in order to be convincing in the role? I don't know the answer to that.

Compare that to Scott Adkins. Scott Adkins is a martial artist. He's done tons of martial arts since he was a kid. Most people probably don't even know who he is, or have ever seen him in a movie. Unless you're specifically looking for martial arts movies on Netflix, you're not going to see him. Most of his marketing is from his social media, which you would only see if you knew who he was.

In order for martial arts movies to be more mainstream, I think we would need mid-budget movies in general to come back.

Latest Discussions