Why is everyone so crazy about MMA?

Selfcritical

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It seems like everyone implicitly accepts that MMA is the real world, and that everything else is a 'style' rather than a 'system'.

I am a fan of MMA, but I practice Judo, and I believe both have SD efficacy.

:soapbox:

That isn't an option between Judo and MMA. This is a question between two strategies that exist in both sports.....Judo is the source of most submissions in BJJ, which is the source of most submissions in MMA. Throwing exists as a method of takedown in both sports. You may prefer one or the other, and you should train to get the fight to the range you're more proficient at, but unless you are proficient at all the ranges to some degree, you simply cannot transition to your position of strength to execute your preferred technique.

Selfcritical

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Unsurprisingly, my Green friend, I disagree.

One of the glorious things about martial training is you do it, quite literally, until your last day. A 70 year old martial artist may not be able to do a spinning jump kick anymore (though I do know one who can put me in an arm bar any time he likes whether I want him to or not), but in terms of grace, understanding and personal energy he'll be miles beyond anything my smart-*** 35 year old body can handle.

You sound like you've trained long enough to know that we all experience plateus that sometimes last years, but there's always another step waiting just one rep away....

He's acquired other skills to help compensate, but fundamentally, fighting is an athletic activity, and you will never, ever, ever reach a stage where fighting a superior athlete does not become more challenging than fighting an inferior one. The best fighters in the world will always be people that are in peak condition(some people might maintain that condition longer than others). Someone who is 70 might be an awesome coach, and able to handle some athletic competition with only beginning skill, but if they can't train someone well enough to beat them (at their lessened level of athleticism) within 2-3 years, they are flatly incompetent, or teaching in a way that deliberately sabotages the growth of their student.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, as a guy in his thirties who got his *** handed to him by a 70-something year old....the old adage about old age and treachery>youth and skill is ringing awful true.

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
Most mainstream martial art I know are mixed martial arts. Judo, Aikido, and Japanese/Brazilian Jiu-jitsu have atemiwaza in addition to throws, takedowns, and grappling. The striking arts of Korea such as Taekwondo (whether of the Chang-Hon or Kukkiwon variety), Soo Bahk Do, Tang Soo Do, and, specially, Hapkido also have throws and joint locks. Karate, regardless of ryu, Ninjutsu, Kung Fu, Kempo, etc. are also no exception. Even some weapon arts like our very own Arnis/Escrima have kicks and joint locks. I think what should be called MMA is the tournament, not the style. MMA tournaments are those where there is a mix of different martial art styles competing against one another. Just my thought.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's acquired other skills to help compensate, but fundamentally, fighting is an athletic activity, and you will never, ever, ever reach a stage where fighting a superior athlete does not become more challenging than fighting an inferior one. The best fighters in the world will always be people that are in peak condition(some people might maintain that condition longer than others). Someone who is 70 might be an awesome coach, and able to handle some athletic competition with only beginning skill, but if they can't train someone well enough to beat them (at their lessened level of athleticism) within 2-3 years, they are flatly incompetent, or teaching in a way that deliberately sabotages the growth of their student.

I disagree. At some point, age will become a critical factor, but I know 50 and 60 year old men who would mop the floor with athletes at their "peak condition."

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really quick pronunciation question - is Pankration pronounced pan-kray'-shun, or is it pan-krat'-e-on? I've only read about it, and I hate sounding like a complete eedjit when I speak. Thanks.

Latest Discussions