Why Do You Practice Hyung In Unison?

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have observed many TKD teachers like to have their students perform their hyung in unison, despite the differing sizes and ability levels among their class. Why? Is it just a convenience in teaching so that everyone gets some pattern time for the same time & duration? Is it a unity fetish? Is it for safety reasons when you have an overpacked room?

I myself am not particularly concerned with keeping everyone in the same class running forms at the same speed or rhythm. I'm more interested in individual precision, fluidity, and power, and everyone will have different expressions of those even when doing the same hyung.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Along with the unity, I think it helps the form set in the brain and makes it easier for the teacher spot students having problems and to make corrections.

I think it is a good idea to mix it up and do it both ways. In unison for the reasons above, and at one's own pace for the reasons you state.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed,

I think its more time management. It takes a long time to correct each student individually especially if you have 20+ students in each class and only an hour or even hour 1/2 sessions, so it provides some structure. But I do believe each student should be allowed a slot to showcase there strengths and weaknesses after all the Instructor is there to teach and make them better Martial Artist in general.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do it in unison for the demo part when we proform, otherwise each student works at there pace and are corrected when they need to be.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Although many Martial Arts are not pure Mordern Military Combat Organizations, many arts (Korean included) train in an ordered military like fashion. Stand at attention, salute, about face etc... are all very common commands similar to the military precision desired. Again, TKD is not a true modern military org. in itself but many arts follow this common structure.

To ask why TKD (Or other arts) have this adherence to this unified practice structure is not unlike asking why the ROTC drill team practices in unison. "They may learn better if the drill sergent takes each one alone to improve the cordination of their steps" but drill sergents are not known for that kind of leading, they command the entire group all at once, "Attention, salute, march etc..." this is not the absolute , but it is quite common.

It is just done that way, and you can see some reflection of military uniformity in many arts as to instill the group united mentality. Many MMA schools train together, but you rarely see them train in as strict an order as military step in unison and in time fashion as other (Traditional) arts. I belive it is mostly rooted in the Arts Traditions to have everyone show their discipline and willingness to follow directions in conjuction with classmates. Traditionaly in Miliatary Orgs and Traditional Martial Arts, he/she who mis-steps is out of line and dealt with. Just my opinion. PEACE

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do it for a few reasons.

1) I can spot mistakes easier.
2) It helps the "unsure" students remember.
3) It helps with timing (pacing yourself with a group can be difficult for some)
4) It helps with synchronization and co-ordination of the student
5) There always isnt enough time to have everyone do them individually.
6) Prevents little joey from getting stepped on by big ben because ben is faster and 5 moves ahead.

But I do also make them perform alone in front of the class.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just do this and you will know why. Take 30+ students and line them up in rows of 5 on a 20 x 10 mat. Then have then all perform any form of your choice. Have them do this at there own pace.

1. Try to pick out the mistakes.
2. Try to fix the mistakes.
3. Count how many people get hit by someone next to, infront of, or behind them.

Now everyone should understand why. When doing forms you do have your own pace but in large groups you have to be togeather for obvious reasons.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Other than what was mentioned above I think that it helps develop a since of what is going on around you To keep it together you have to use your since to determine where everyone else is in their form in order to keep up.

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just do this and you will know why. Take 30+ students and line them up in rows of 5 on a 20 x 10 mat. Then have then all perform any form of your choice. Have them do this at there own pace.

1. Try to pick out the mistakes.
2. Try to fix the mistakes.
3. Count how many people get hit by someone next to, infront of, or behind them.

Now everyone should understand why. When doing forms you do have your own pace but in large groups you have to be togeather for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I think I covered these although in more brief fashion. It sounds like practicing in this way is a compromise in instruction when there are more pupils than a single teacher can handle logistically. I agree it makes sense in that respect, but I would certainly avoid such a scenario if possible.

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Although many Martial Arts are not pure Mordern Military Combat Organizations, many arts (Korean included) train in an ordered military like fashion. Stand at attention, salute, about face etc... are all very common commands similar to the military precision desired. Again, TKD is not a true modern military org. in itself but many arts follow this common structure.

To ask why TKD (Or other arts) have this adherence to this unified practice structure is not unlike asking why the ROTC drill team practices in unison. "They may learn better if the drill sergent takes each one alone to improve the cordination of their steps" but drill sergents are not known for that kind of leading, they command the entire group all at once, "Attention, salute, march etc..." this is not the absolute , but it is quite common.

It is just done that way, and you can see some reflection of military uniformity in many arts as to instill the group united mentality. Many MMA schools train together, but you rarely see them train in as strict an order as military step in unison and in time fashion as other (Traditional) arts. I belive it is mostly rooted in the Arts Traditions to have everyone show their discipline and willingness to follow directions in conjuction with classmates. Traditionaly in Miliatary Orgs and Traditional Martial Arts, he/she who mis-steps is out of line and dealt with. Just my opinion. PEACE

Good post. I can't say I agree with the value in such an approach, but I appreciate the explanation.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Each poomsae has its own poom line (rythem) and it is important that each student understands the correct poom line of each poomsae. after that each student should be able to express the correct rythem of each poomsae by thierselves

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do it for a few reasons.

1) I can spot mistakes easier.
2) It helps the "unsure" students remember.
3) It helps with timing (pacing yourself with a group can be difficult for some)
4) It helps with synchronization and co-ordination of the student
5) There always isnt enough time to have everyone do them individually.
6) Prevents little joey from getting stepped on by big ben because ben is faster and 5 moves ahead.

But I do also make them perform alone in front of the class.
I was about to answer, but this really sums it up perfectly, so I will go with this one.:)

Daniel

Latest Discussions