Kick Using Largest Muscle Groups?

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Am I right in saying the back kick uses the largest muscle groups (hamstring and gluteus) out of all the staples like the side, front, roundhouse, and back kicks? Should it also follow that this kick would have the most potential for power in most people who don't do any special type of training?

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would agree that the back kick has the most potential for power, but I was taught that every motion uses virtually every muscle in the body.

^~^

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
As far as the untrained person goes, it's probably also the hardest simple kick (i.e. not something crazy like a 720 spinning roundhouse) to perform effectively. That should be taken into consideration.

You also must consider body momentum. Most of us have to counterbalance with our upper bodies quite a bit. This robs some of the force. With a front kick on the other hand, besides the muscle power, all of your body is going in the same direction, adding to the power. For my part, my front kicks usually knock someone back better than my back kicks do.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the untrained person goes, it's probably also the hardest simple kick (i.e. not something crazy like a 720 spinning roundhouse) to perform effectively. That should be taken into consideration.

You also must consider body momentum. Most of us have to counterbalance with our upper bodies quite a bit. This robs some of the force. With a front kick on the other hand, besides the muscle power, all of your body is going in the same direction, adding to the power. For my part, my front kicks usually knock someone back better than my back kicks do.
If I may interject, do you use the ball of the foot of the heel with the front kick.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I may interject, do you use the ball of the foot of the heel with the front kick.

We are trained to use the ball, but when I really wallop something I tend to strike with the ball first and then transition to the heel as I thrust through the target.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We are trained to use the ball, but when I really wallop something I tend to strike with the ball first and then transition to the heel as I thrust through the target.
It sounds like a very good combo, generally we use one or the other, as a striking surface. I definitely will try the two together.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Am I right in saying the back kick uses the largest muscle groups (hamstring and gluteus) out of all the staples like the side, front, roundhouse, and back kicks? Should it also follow that this kick would have the most potential for power in most people who don't do any special type of training?
When I teach beginners or a women's self defense class, I will teach all four kicks from the stationary ready stance. I don't teach spinning, and very little pivoting, just down and dirty hitting as the opportunity presents itself. I always get the best response from the class with the back kick, when I relate to them about never going behind a horse to closely for fear of getting kicked across the barn. With all kicks low, and a little balance practice, the back kick is the favorite for power with the side kick a close second.
icon7.gif

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When I teach beginners or a women's self defense class, I will teach all four kicks from the stationary ready stance. I don't teach spinning, and very little pivoting, just down and dirty hitting as the opportunity presents itself. I always get the best response from the class with the back kick, when I relate to them about never going behind a horse to closely for fear of getting kicked across the barn. With all kicks low, and a little balance practice, the back kick is the favorite for power with the side kick a close second.
icon7.gif

Yes, that was much my own thoughts as well. Thanks.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score

If doing a back kick properly, there is no way a front kick generates more power. It is just not possible. Now if done incorrectly where you stop your motion and try to snap a back kick and moving away from your target at the same time I can see this being the case, but then you are not doing a back kick anymore.