Why do people put up short post?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
just stating yes or no, doesnt relay if you are (dis)agreeing with one or more of the premises or the conclusion(s)
That is exactly what you are doing. That's why it is imperative you are sure about your answer. It does Not mean there isn't other information regarding the topic.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In general, yes or no questions and answers are fine. If you're asking one, it means that you don't need more information-either it's unnecessary (if I invited you to play golf and you say no, I don't really need to know why), or I can figure out the rest (if I ask my dad if he remembered his clubs, if he says yes I know I don't need an extra set, if he says no I know to go get a second set).

Even in situations where I ask a yes or no, and you feel like there's something both relevant and important to add, you can state it (in the first example-I ask you to play golf, you say no. You then add you're meeting up with some friends at the bar, and ask me if I want to come. I asked a yes/no question, you responded yes/no, then added your own relevant stuff).

Your English teacher was being hyperbolic, and they might be needed in an argument (sometimes they aren't), but in general conversation yes/no questions and answers are perfectly acceptable and common.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay, seriously, binary questions are critical to understanding logic and in programming. when you speak to arguments (in the logical sense), yes and no, true or false, are essential.

Found a pretty clear explanation of how binary logic (i.e., yes/no or true/false statements) can be applied to "arguments" such as we discuss all the time around here.

Truth Tables and Analyzing Arguments: Examples | Mathematics for the Liberal Arts

Truth tables are great training for identifying gaps in logic. They're kind of like kata for rational thinking. Or are they more like shadow boxing? :D

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay, seriously, binary questions are critical to understanding logic and in programming. when you speak to arguments (in the logical sense), yes and no, true or false, are essential.

Found a pretty clear explanation of how binary logic (i.e., yes/no or true/false statements) can be applied to "arguments" such as we discuss all the time around here.

Truth Tables and Analyzing Arguments: Examples | Mathematics for the Liberal Arts

Truth tables are great training for identifying gaps in logic. They're kind of like kata for rational thinking. Or are they more like shadow boxing? :D[/QUOTE]

Interesting to read, and kind of cool. But when it mentioned "significant other" I started to laugh. Applying any logic whatsoever when dealing with a wife is usually like trying to read a road map of the Twilight Zone in the dark without your glasses.

And for you single guys.....just wait.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometime we have seen short post such as:

- No, it's not.
- You are wrong.

Why do people put up short post like this? What's the proper respond for these kind of posts?

Your thought?
I think context is important.

Sometimes somebody is basically trying to tell you “you need to do things my way instead of how you have been doing it”.

In that case, the answer can be simply “no, I don’t.”

No further explanation is required.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I literally said ok, to the mod in the post about locked threads. That was in response to his statement, the mod cleared it up and I better understood the situation...

Sometimes an ok, is just an ok

Latest Discussions