Why do people put up short post?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometime we have seen short post such as:

- No, it's not.
- You are wrong.

Why do people put up short post like this? What's the proper respond for these kind of posts?

Your thought?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does it bother you when someone says that you are wrong, but won't give you any reason?

They generally don't have a reason. Or they don't understand the subject well enough to present one.

A lot of people don't think about what they are told.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They generally don't have a reason. Or they don't understand the subject well enough to present one.

A lot of people don't think about what they are told.
I'm with you on this one. You can usually learn quite a bit about a person and the amount of knowledge they have on a subject when why they start explaining why others are wrong.

I think the most difficult part is people being told that they are wrong. I know a guy would went nuts and threw a fit simply because I said No to him. Me saying no to him was like I insulted him. He asked me a question. I told him No, he couldn't do it that way and explained why. And the only thing that pissed him off was that someone told him No.

D

Deleted member 39746

You hiss at them menacingly. But in agreement, stating no unless a yes or no question was had (very rare for one of those to properly exist, you spend a lot of time on english learning that those rarely exist and you need long answers) is effectively pointless and has little value.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You hiss at them menacingly. But in agreement, stating no unless a yes or no question was had (very rare for one of those to properly exist, you spend a lot of time on english learning that those rarely exist and you need long answers) is effectively pointless and has little value.
Yes/no questions are rare?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A: Will you steal $100?
B: No.
A: Will you steal $100,000,000?
B: Not sure.
A: Will you steal a country?
B: Yes.
Not particularly informative, but definitely binary! :)
For some reason, as I read this post, I was reminded of this song, and in particular the chorus:

Do you wanna meet me at the bar? (yaw)
Do you wanna meet me at the lounge? (yaw)
Do you wanna meet me at the club? (yaw)
Do you wanna meet me downtown? (okay)
Do you wanna meet me in the east? (yaw)
Do you wanna meet me in the west? (yaw)
Do you wanna meet me on the block?(yaw)
Do you wanna meet me at the spot? (okay)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A: Will you steal $100?
B: No.
A: Will you steal $100,000,000?
B: Not sure.
A: Will you steal a country?
B: Yes.
Are you B here? Do I have to be concerned about a potential coup coming up? Actually...go for it. It's going to happen at some point within the next decade, might as well be you.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it bother you when someone says that you are wrong, but won't give you any reason?
It does. I can't learn anything from that answer. And if their disagreement is the result of a miscommunication, we can't clear that up and get on with discussion.

D

Deleted member 39746

Yes/no questions are rare?

If i recall the quote from english class: "there is no such thing as a yes/no question"

But they are uncommon at that, long answers are needed and are encouraged to be used in english. and if we are talking arguing, since there needs to be premises and conclusions, just stating yes or no, doesnt relay if you are (dis)agreeing with one or more of the premises or the conclusion(s)

Latest Discussions