Why do Judo?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about for something far simpler than just straight self defence. One thing that judo taught me was to fall properly when thrown or swept. Think about how many times in a fight a person gets hurt from falling in the tussle. As a judoka, that is one of the main parts of the training, and the most important. What good is being able to defend yourself with strikes if you are pushed down and you end up with a broken arm or worse a concussion. I think judo, or the throwing arts that is has spawned from make a great edition to ANY SD centred arts. But that is just my opinion.
The ability to fall properly, taught to me in Judo and Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu, has saved me from more injuries than even the ability to fight has, on and off the job!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
as I understand it, at shodan kodokan starts to teach the parts of jujitsu that was taken out of it for sport reasons. ( i am not a judoka so can not say for sure that this is true.)

I can say that parts of older school kodokan judo are applicable to SD, and that most of the same techniques in one way or other have always been present in Okinawan Karate.

the other thing i can say is that to go to the ground with some one in a real SD situation is a bad idea! they never come singly and while your doing your BJJ thing down there his buddy will kick your head in! better to sweep or throw and then brake something or strike something from the standing position so you can react to the next attacker. I know that judo and jujitsu like Karate and most arts developed for SD do the same things basically. some what diferently at times but the same thing.

Latest Discussions