MA Tournament

M

Martial_Maniac

My friend is a martial arts junky (aren't we all) and claims to compete in a tournament once a year called Kamate (unsure of spelling). The way he describes it, it sounds like a tournament out of some anime or martial arts movie. There is no division for just forms. There are three divisions. One for beginners, one for intermediates, and one for advanced. The beginner one is basically sparring to 5 pts. with any kind of techinques using the proper gear. The intermediate is basically sparring to 10 pts. with any kind of techniques. No gear of any kind. The advanced is basically fighting, any techniques, penalties for holding back, no gear, winner is the last man standing kinda thing. It is held in a different country each year (never in U.S.) and participants must have a sponsor. I guess what I am asking is of any of you have even heard of this tournament or one like it. I personally think it's bull spit.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial_Maniac said:
bull spit.
Lame story and sounds like it's copied from a lame movie(Bloodsport). Next time you hear it from him, just nod and smile...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kumate has been around for years, there is only onr division. Frank Dux was a undefeated Kumate champion for years he hold alot of records still today. The Kumate is not like it once was the rules have been modify over the year. You can go to your search engine andtype in Frank Dux and that will help shed some light on your question. Here's a link to an article about him
.hhttp://martialarts.jameshom.com/library/weekly/aa073001a.

http://usadojo.com/martial-artists-biographies/martial-artist-frank-dux.htm

Here's is his website

OP
R

relytjj

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm, I dont know what to think. I have heard of this "Kumite" but didnt know if it exists. Now, I really dont know if it does or not.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Frank Dux is a huge fraud. There is no proof of his claims of undefeated Kumite champion nor any proofo of the Kumite itself

I do not know if what he say's is true or not not my call all I did was give some info and links and let them decide what to believe. I know him and Van Damm went to court but that was over the movie Quest and how he was suppose to be paid. I will not call anybody a fraud until proof is there, and I mean undeniable proof not he said she said.

OP
M

Martial_Maniac

I know I said i was unsure of the spelling, but it's not Kumite. The word is pronounced like Karate but with an m instead of an r.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial_Maniac said:
I know I said i was unsure of the spelling, but it's not Kumite. The word is pronounced like Karate but with an m instead of an r.
Well I do not know of any Karate tourney spell with a m to makr Kamate, I have been involve in tournaments for over 35 years. So I guess I would have to agree with Big Nick on this one.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial_Maniac said:
My friend is a martial arts junky (aren't we all) and claims to compete in a tournament once a year called Kamate (unsure of spelling). The way he describes it, it sounds like a tournament out of some anime or martial arts movie. There is no division for just forms. There are three divisions. One for beginners, one for intermediates, and one for advanced. The beginner one is basically sparring to 5 pts. with any kind of techinques using the proper gear. The intermediate is basically sparring to 10 pts. with any kind of techniques. No gear of any kind. The advanced is basically fighting, any techniques, penalties for holding back, no gear, winner is the last man standing kinda thing. It is held in a different country each year (never in U.S.) and participants must have a sponsor. I guess what I am asking is of any of you have even heard of this tournament or one like it. I personally think it's bull spit.

Bwa-ha-hahahhahhahaaaaaaa (deep breath) Bwahhhahahahahahhhaaaaa

:bs:

Latest Discussions