BS or Not?

WingChunChick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just read a martial arts book in which the author states that one should always use their best hand as their forward hand and their rear hand for power punches. Basically do the opposite of what your normal punching stance would be. Their reasoning was that you need the hand with more coordination to be your primary defense/jab hand.

What is everyones thoughts on this idea?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you need the hand with more coordination to be your primary defense/jab hand.
In the wrestling art, you have major hand and minor hand. You use your

- major hand to control your opponent's body.
- minor hand to control your opponent's arm.

For example, by using

- hip throw, you use your major hand to control your opponent's waist (or shoulder).
- head lock, you use your major hand to control your opponent's head.

Since your major hand have to deal with more of your opponent's body weight, your major hand should be your stronger arm.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just read a martial arts book in which the author states that one should always use their best hand as their forward hand and their rear hand for power punches. Basically do the opposite of what your normal punching stance would be. Their reasoning was that you need the hand with more coordination to be your primary defense/jab hand.

Both stances can be useful, and neither is 'bs'. If i had a reason to, i could make a very convincing argument for either hand to be forward, but overall it's what fits your style, and what you're comfortable with

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

It really depends on the person, style and what they're doing. For empty hand I have my left side(non-dominant) forward and my right side back to generate power. In training I try and work both so I can change stances if needed. Changing stances can throw your opponent off their game, force them to fight with their other side forward and makes them change their footwork. Weapons are force multipliers, thus the power dynamics are different from empty hand. Dominant side forward with weaponry is almost universal. I would like if anyone on here knows of any weapon systems that use non dominant side forward.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For striking art, if you put your stronger side back, there is a problem.

If your opponent keeps moving toward your side door (blind side), your leading arm can jam your own back powerful arm. Your powerful back arm may not be able to reach to your opponent.

Of course you can use spin back fist for that. But you have to take the risk by turning your back to your opponent.

If you put stronger side forward, by moving your back foot side way, you can rotate your body in such a way that you can make your leading arm hook punch (or hay-maker) very powerful. Since your powerful leading arm is closer to your opponent's head, your hand will have less distance to travel. If you can generate power by body rotation, your leading hand will have the same (or more) knock down power than your back hand has.

So by putting your strong side

- back, you will have powerful "cross". But your cross will require long travel distance. Sometime, your back hand can't reach to your opponent.
- forward, you will have powerful "hook (or hay-maker)". Since your hook can borrow your opponent's downward parry force, that will be your advantage.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I think it doesn't matter if you are power hand forward or power hand back because that is going to be determined by your strategy for fighting. Also, sometimes the "weaker hand" is stronger with other things like speed. Most right hand people tend to have a faster left hand jab than a right hand jab. While the right hand jab is more powerful, it's often slower because the person is trying to add too much power to the punch. In general, and without thinking, people probably train the left hand for speed and the right for power. Then it's opposite for left handed people.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
For striking art, if you put your stronger side back, there is a problem.

If your opponent keeps moving toward your side door (blind side), your leading arm can jam your own back powerful arm. Your powerful back arm may not be able to reach to your opponent.

Of course you can use spin back fist for that. But you have to take the risk by turning your back to your opponent.

If you put stronger side forward, by moving your back foot side way, you can rotate your body in such a way that you can make your leading arm hook punch (or hay-maker) very powerful. Since your powerful leading arm is closer to your opponent's head, your hand will have less distance to travel. If you can generate power by body rotation, your leading hand will have the same (or more) knock down power than your back hand has.

So by putting your strong side

- back, you will have powerful "cross". But your cross will require long travel distance. Sometime, your back hand can't reach to your opponent.
- forward, you will have powerful "hook (or hay-maker)". Since your hook can borrow your opponent's downward parry force, that will be your advantage.

Interesting ;)

In boxing, the default stance is dominant side back.

Considering the "X art vs a boxer" threads, it seems boxing is almost taken as the benchmark for striking.

In most (I don't use "all" because I don't know about all) kickboxing type styles - I loosely include muay thai - it's also default right side back, which as 90% of the population are right handed, means dominant side back.

It depends on what you consider your standard stance too though. In the examples I give, the shoulders are at most half facing the opponent, very rarely do you get side facing position positions so things like lack of reach aren't of any particular concern.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To me be adaptable and well if you find yourself in a situation then the last thing I'd think about is Oh hang on what hand have I got out front ...you can move and change as the situation evolves as to me the time you spend thinking about it (even the split second) you could be on your behind

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Their reasoning was that you need the hand with more coordination to be your primary defense/jab hand

This bit is interesting too.

Think about playing a guitar. The dominant hand (the one that's apparently the one with more coordination by that reasoning) is operating in two planes of motion, one of which is tiny (up/down across the width of the string group, in/out just enough to choose which string(s) to play). The non dominant hand however has the far more complex job of fretting. Every string instrument I can think of has this arrangement, except for possibly things like a harp (which places almost equal reliance on both hands).

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me be adaptable and well if you find yourself in a situation then the last thing I'd think about is Oh hang on what hand have I got out front ...you can move and change as the situation evolves as to me the time you spend thinking about it (even the split second) you could be on your behind

Once it's programmed there's no conscious thought process like that.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Once it's programmed there's no conscious thought process like that.

but why should it be programmed it may be the case that the programmed stance is not applicable so is it not better to be fluid ?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would like if anyone on here knows of any weapon systems that use non dominant side forward.
Some knife fighting systems, based on either military or prison fighting systems, use strong side back. The non dominant hand is used to grab and control. Rex Applegate shows such a system in his classic Kill or get Killed, and Don Pentecost's book, Put them down, take them out shows the same from a prison fighting perspective.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

So, basically Bruce Lee's concept for JKD?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
but why should it be programmed it may be the case that the programmed stance is not applicable so is it not better to be fluid ?

What I sort of meant is something like - take a (good) boxer by surprise. They won't hesitate while they consider which hand is in front and how to get into their stance, but I'd bet they'd work toward it.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What I sort of meant is something like - take a (good) boxer by surprise. They won't hesitate while they consider which hand is in front and how to get into their stance, but I'd bet they'd work toward it.

That is what I meant by being adaptable etc and moving not thinking just going with what you have at that moment of attack then like you say moving into it or as I would say being fluid and flowing into what the attacker give you

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think training on both sides is beneficial. You may not always be in a position to defend yourself with your non-dominant side forward.