"Why Carry A Revolver?"

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am very happy to say that I was WRONG. This particular copy is, now, legal!

Yay!

I contacted Lulu.com's Copyright POC with my concerns about this download. This is the response I received:
Mr. Lawson,
Hopefully, I can help clarify the situation. We have added the books to Lulu as a new distribution point through agreements with Ingram and other distributors to make their public catalogs available on our site. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Nick Popio
So, while the Copyright notice still says Paladin Press (which, I admit leaves me curious), the official stated stance of Lulu.com is that this is legal by agreement.

Download with a clear conscience.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:
OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_149_24/ai_65910638/

A student asked me recently, "If you tell us we can get by with a .38 Special snubby as a minimum carry gun, how come you're always carrying a full-size service pistol on your hip and just use the .38 for backup?"
He had a point. I was due for a two-week training tour in places where the dress code was such that I couldn't be visibly armed, nor could I wear "concealing garments" while lecturing or supervising classroom training. I decided to put my money where my mouth was and pack a couple of .38 snubs.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Unless you know the trick to circumvent even the cylinder grab--which I DO....

I suspect Andy it has to do with rotating the handgun in the opposite direction while pulling the trigger.

Now about half my hoglegs are revolvers. Not one SSA in the bunch, all DA revolvers. Snubbies? L, K, J Smiths, Colt Dick, Charter Arms undercover, Taurus 85. I've even owned some real oddball snubs.

Now my first CCW gun was a Smith 640.

picture.php

The one at the top. I was so afraid of printing I went to the J. Well later it dawned on me that you could pack a bit bigger one fine!

picture.php

This one above is my current one. Add to that either a TCP or Smith 642. The 642, bring lighter than my old 640, rides much easier, especially if I'm packing a second weapon (I take the TCP Taurus ONLY as a backup, NEVER primary!)

Now the J .38 is a hard gun to master. For those of you wishing to master it I suggest two or three 'toys'.

1) a Red/Blue gun to practice your draws, pivots, transitions, FOF, etc.. in the house without any chance of an AD (I have a Red ASP J 38 just for that.)

2) A 'laser' gun. Either a real Crimson Trace laser on your carry gun ,a practice gun, or a Red/Blue gun. This allows you to practice lots of hip shooting!

3) A .22 lr version of your snub. I have a Smith 63, 2 inch .22 lr,j ust for that.

I say this because if you intend on making your snub your primary CCW, YOU NEED TO BET GOOD. Real good! And that takes dedicated practice.

And if you do use the snub as primary, may I suggest a TCP, or LCP, or P3AT, etc.. for a backup. Or even a second snub!

Deaf

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I suspect Andy it has to do with rotating the handgun in the opposite direction while pulling the trigger.

You suspect correctly.

Now the J .38 is a hard gun to master. For those of you wishing to master it I suggest two or three 'toys'.

1) a Red/Blue gun to practice your draws, pivots, transitions, FOF, etc.. in the house without any chance of an AD (I have a Red ASP J 38 just for that.)

2) A 'laser' gun. Either a real Crimson Trace laser on your carry gun ,a practice gun, or a Red/Blue gun. This allows you to practice lots of hip shooting!

3) A .22 lr version of your snub. I have a Smith 63, 2 inch .22 lr,j ust for that.

I say this because if you intend on making your snub your primary CCW, YOU NEED TO BET GOOD. Real good! And that takes dedicated practice.

Deaf

You'll be pleased to know that the end of next month I'm taking both of Michael de Bethencourt's courses( Secrets of the concealed carry snub and Mastering the concealed carry snub) end of next month. Taking a weekend and banging 'em out back-to-back. In the meantime I'll be doing lots of practicing.

And I'm not getting rid of my SIG either :D

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
You'll be pleased to know that the end of next month I'm taking both of Michael de Bethencourt's courses( Secrets of the concealed carry snub and Mastering the concealed carry snub) end of next month. Taking a weekend and banging 'em out back-to-back. In the meantime I'll be doing lots of practicing.

Please post a course-review when you're done. I was supposed to take a one of DeBethencourt's classes this year but it's not going to happen due to some financial issues :(

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

And I'm not getting rid of my SIG either :D

Excellent!

Please post a course-review when you're done. I was supposed to take a one of DeBethencourt's classes this year but it's not going to happen due to some financial issues :(

Yes, ditto for me to! We will be most interested! Sure wish it was in Texas!

Deaf

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a follow-up to my earlier post in which I quoted some stats presented by Tom Givens of Rangemaster, I wanted to present a portion of a post he wrote on another forum just yesterday:

I concede that there are, in fact, a lot of people who work in places where being caught would be too costly. I submit that they are only there 8-10 hours a day, however. If they have to pocket carry a j-frame there, that does not mean they have to the other 14 hours of the day. I believe that to many people, this is an excuse to not bother with a good concealment holster and an adequate covering garment. For many, “it’s just too much trouble” to change equipment or wear clothing suitable for concealed carry. That’s a choice, not a mandated circumstance.

Since December, we have had 4 student involved shootings. In 3 out of 4, there were multiple armed assailants (3, 1, 2, and 2 bad guys). In 3 of these, I personally would hate to be stuck there with nothing but a j-frame. In one of these cases, our guy was under fire by 2 armed robbers, both actively firing. Our guy fired 8 rounds and got 4 hits, ending the fight. He would have had a devil of a time doing that with a 5 shot snubby.

We have now had 54 student involved incidents. Only two involved a defender with a j-frame. Both of them won, but luckily, in both cases they were up against LCD lone attackers. We have had several incidents in which a j-frame may not have sufficed.

...I encourage students to confine these guns to a BUG role, however, and most of my students take that advice to heart. In our shootings, only about 10% occurred in the home, the other 90% occurring on parking lots of one kind or another. In those cases, students managed to have with them concealed mid-size to service size semi-autos. In several cases, that choice of sidearm possibly had a fair bit of impact on the outcome.

Latest Discussions