Sub caliber device for 12 gauge

Chifuka-ryu

White Belt
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a shotgun but does not get all the practice he can because of ammo costs. I would like to give him an adapter that would let him shoot .22 out of his 12 gauge. So far, the only site I found did not respond to my e-mails.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a shotgun but does not get all the practice he can because of ammo costs. I would like to give him an adapter that would let him shoot .22 out of his 12 gauge. So far, the only site I found did not respond to my e-mails.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

I'm not sure such a thing exists. I know there are some insert barrels one can order with certain custom shotguns, but they are entire barrels. One problem is that the 22LR is rimfire, and the shotgun is centerfire. Thus, the firing pin is out of line for a rimfire. Another problem with a simple sub-gauge insert (they do make them for putting larger gauges in smaller gauge weapons, such as 20 gauge in a 12 gauge shotgun) is the accuracy. Without a reasonable-length rifled barrel, accuracy would be likely terrible. And of course, shotguns, being shotguns, don't generally have sights on them, just a bead and groove.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I suspect more of your accuracy issues come from dealing with recoil for followup shots, so I don't really see how the 22 adapter would help there. You would probably be as well off getting a laser sight and practice painting targets.

Stick Dummy

<b>"Great Guro Wizard of the Gun and Knife"</b>
Reaction score
With .22 shotshells you get a gelcap sized charge of dust shot good for about 10 feet.
With solid rounds the accuracy would be lousy for the above mentioned reasons
Pass on that gadget and either get some low end shells at box mart or a local firearms store.

By all means encourage you friend to pratice often!!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? IF such a gadget exists (it'd pretty much have to be some sort of flechet round...), it still wouldn't be good practice for a shotgun.

And shotgun is an easy reload... which dramatically reduces the costs.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Latest Discussions